TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

GA3 vs. GA4 and AWD/AWD-P Moving Forward...

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by the_danimal, Aug 4, 2018.

1. the_danimal

the_danimal Member

So we know the sprung structure was created to augment GA3 and get them closer to 5K/week quicker per the earnings call. Clearly, it would seem as GA3 gets to 5K/week on its own that GA4 will be what augments them to 6K/week.

What I don’t understand is if they’ve started to make AWD on GA3 or not.

On the earnings call they said that they have more orders for AWD and AWD-P combined than RWD now. It would make sense that they modify GA3 to handle both configurations in batches.

Otherwise, us AWD/AWD-P folks (who didn’t reserve day 1) might not be getting our cars until the latter part of our delivery windows (e.g., October/November).

Thoughts? I can’t find anything that talks about AWD/AWD-P on GA3 in the past couple weeks.

2. DanL3

DanL3 Member

I assume GA3 is the line that they have been using all year long and GA4 is in the "tent".

I would be pretty sure GA3 was designed to to AWD from the beginning and that they actually did the prototypes seen in the wild early in the year on GA3. So GA3 is either capable of AWD now or would be with minor adjustments. It may not have the space for options like both white and black interior parts but as you stated that can be batched..

So my guess is that they are already making some AWD (black interior) on GA3.

The real question is if they can make enough front motors to keep up with demand. And is the supply chain geared up for the unexpected AWD demand. it generally tasked 3 months to increase parts from the supply chain when an unexpected increase happens.

Thanks, Dan

3. the_danimal

the_danimal Member

Thanks for the response. I guess I assumed this would of been a more interesting topic of discussion than apparently the lack of responses are showing.

When I look at Troy’s data, it appears it’s about half RWD and half AWD this week with VINs. I’m assuming then that they’re already batch building AWD configurations on GA3 at the least.

4. rluciano

rluciano Member

It’s very interesting to me. I just felt that I had nothing to add, but I’ll bump it in hopes that someone else does.

5. BobCio

BobCio Member

Interesting to me too... just nothing to add - no new info, except I did post that Model3VINs tweeted that #Tesla registered 2,625 new #Model3 VINs. ~88% estimated to be dual motor. Highest VIN is 81204.

That doesn't add any clarity to your question though... I will follow in hopes that someone has some solid insight on the topic.

6. Evoixse

Evoixse Member

#6 Evoixse, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    you guy think they ran out/running low of binned motors for the performance model, hence the downturn in issued performance VIN's?

7. the_danimal

the_danimal Member

Well we just got confirmation of 8K+ VINs, all AWD. Do these get created for cars “to be built” or for cars “already built?”

Either way, with numbers like this, one would have to imagine GA3 is now churning out AWD variants.

8. noam

noam Member

My understanding from a @Troy post before is that VINs are created before cars are built.

• Informative x 1
  9. the_danimal

the_danimal Member

Well here’s hoping it’s a quick couples weeks to churn them out!

10. jdmasters

jdmasters Member

with the recent vin additions, you have to think the main line is going to at least part time produce AWD/Ps the next month.

• Like x 1