TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Gainesville area added to SuperCharger roadmap

Discussion in 'Florida' started by sunkat, Feb 28, 2014.

1. sunkat

sunkat Member

2. Lawsteve

Lawsteve MCATDT

Nope, i think it is new news. I also suspect some credit goes to Larry, who has been an advocate of that location for quite a while. Looks like trips to Tallahassee for football season are in my future!

3. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

Thanks Steve,
    Yes, back in July I had communications with the head of Supercharger deployment and the idea was positively received. It is gratifying to see it manifested on the interactive map as "Coming Soon".
    It is also good to see that the schedule of the Tampa location has been advanced from prior versions.
    Larry

4. Mnlevin

Mnlevin Member

very good news indeed!

5. Seven7

Seven7 Member

+1 :smile:

6. xhawk101

xhawk101 Active Member

Yea!

7. amitb00

amitb00 Member

Awesome news on both fronts. Even Orlando should have a SC. Such a big tourist destination has to have it for local travel.

8. Larry Chanin

Hi Amit,

I'm pretty sure that eventually we will see a Supercharger in the Orlando area. However, I doubt that during the initial rollout of the network Tesla will be investing in Superchargers at destinations or in local travel.

You may have seen my email describing Tesla's Destination Charging Program in which they are providing free or discounted High Power Wall Connectors to qualifying destinations.

Larry

9. robaross

robaross P4550

Could still use one at Fort Drum

10. Larry Chanin

Hi Robert,

I believe that the Fort Drumm Service Plaza on the Turnpike was one of the locations that Tesla was considering. However, a number of us believe that the Millennia Mall is a much better location when Tesla is ready to add a Supercharger to the Orlando area.

Larry

11. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

PSL to Gainsville is a stretch at 227 miles.

12. Larry Chanin

Hi Bill,

Agreed. Perhaps Ocala would be better location for a Supercharger. An Orlando Supercharger would of course be helpful for 60 kWh batteries taking that route.

Larry

13. KeithM

KeithM Member

Ocala, at SR200 and I-75 would be a great location. 2 nearby malls, most chain restaurants, hotels and lots of places to put an SC are nearby. It is 186 miles from PSL, much less from Tampa and 105 miles from the I-10 / I-75 intersection where the Lake City SC would presumably be located. Easy range for a 60 to go from SW or SE Florida to Georgia or the West via I-10

14. Larry Chanin

Hi Keith,

Yes, definitely looks like a better plan. Nicely splits the distance between Lake City and Tampa.

Larry

15. robaross

robaross P4550

Except the Mall is the wrong direction for the theme parks

16. Mnlevin

Mnlevin Member

I think Ocala is definitely a better spot for a lot of reasons.

17. fuelsman

fuelsman Member

I-75 and FL 318 just north of Ocala is worth consideration for the SC site. Plenty of Fast Food and Truck Stops. Convenient for drivers using US 301 to and from Jacksonville.

18. Mnlevin

Mnlevin Member

just to the east of I 75 on Rt 200 is a very large mall with plenty to shop and I think some nice restaurants. I was there 2 weeks ago. Still think 200, if possible close to the Mall, would be a great place.

19. apvbguy

apvbguy Banned

this is good news. I would like to see I-10 built out

20. KeithM

KeithM Member

#20 KeithM, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    In my opinion, Gainesville is too far away from the SC’s further South and too close to the I-10/I-75 SC at Lake City to add much benefit. Ocala or a bit further South would be ideal.

The SC should probably not be any further South than I-75 exit 329 which is at SR44 just North of where the Turnpike and I-75 merge, as the ability to serve both highways would be lost if it were further South. With a Tampa SC, a 60 car could easily make it from there to any location in the Ocala area and an 85 could make it from Ft. Myers.

I-75 Exit 329 is 166 miles from Port St Lucie SC, 203 miles from the Fort Myers SC and 106 miles from the I-10 interchange at I-75 exit 435 Lake City SC, thus it is well positioned to allow travel from anywhere in South Florida to the North or West. The downside of this location is that there are not many places suitable for good meals or shopping. There are two truck stops, a Days Inn and Super 8 motel, a McDonalds, Wendy’s and Steak and Shake. Ideally located, but not much to do while charging.

Exit 341 is the next exit to the North on I-75 at CR 484. It has a bit more to do with a Cracker Barrel, McDonalds, Waffle House, Zaxby’s for food, a Pilot travel center and Tractor Supply. For hotels, Hampton Inn, Microtel and Sleep Inn. A popular attraction here is the Don Garlits Museum of drag racing.
    http://www.garlits.com
    It is 178 miles from PSL, 215 from FMY and 94 miles from I-10.

Exit 350 is next and is the main Ocala exit on SR 200 which is SW College Road. Within a mile of the exit are two malls, many restaurants, hotels, campgrounds, etc. In my opinion, it offers much more to do than anything else South of Gainesville and would be the best choice for an SC. It is 187 miles from PSL, 225 from FMY and 85 from I-10.

Exits 352 at SR 40 and 354 at US 27 are next, but compared to 350, have little to offer and would be less desirable locations distance wise from the other SC’s.