TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Gaining range while sitting unplugged?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by No2DinosaurFuel, Dec 7, 2016.

1. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

I am not sure if anyone have seen this before but here is what happened.

I charged nightly to 80%. Yesterday I charged to 80% (227 miles) and drove around a bit for some late night errands. I came back with 222 miles of range left. Parked it and went to sleep. This morning before leaving for work the range indicator showed 230 miles range left. At first I thought it might be just some fake numbers and it will probably revert back to something much lower after driving a bit. But no I arrived at work with 206 which is the typical drive range lost for one way to work.

I did not do any updates or plug in last night after the short errand.

Any reason why there was a jump in the SOC over night? Does tesla calibrate the cells when sitting over night?

2. msnow

msnow Active Member

I've had that happen several times. I assumed it was the BMS doing its thing.

3. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

I have heard of this a few times on the forums. What it is usually attributed to is that a battery level will read a little bit higher when it is cooled down. So you've been out driving around, and the battery level reads some number. When you park and it cools down some, it may read a few higher. 222 to 230 is a big jump, though. I've usually heard it reported as about 2 or 3 higher.

4. msnow

msnow Active Member

Mine lasts a few cycles. It seems like it's rebalancing.