Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gaining referrals best practices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Apologies if this isn’t the best location, though a quick search could find me a consolidated list of best practices for referrals.

I’m remarkably unsuccessful* in getting referrals and wanted to solicit the crowds on what are their best techniques. I don’t need referrals, though there are some unique prizes that I’d like to figure out how to get, rather than paying premiums ;)

Feel free to ridicule mine first then please add your own :
1) posting on TMC and other forums to help answer questions wherever possible. Having a general tag in profile, and filling in the “referral” field in my profile, though can never find it ,)
Not sure anyone ever looks here.
2) attending Tesla events
3) presenting out benefits of EVs and Teslas at work/socials, and now Tesla Solar since they’ve now entered our state.
4) giving test drives / rides in S and 3
Even have cards to hand out with referral code in both text and qr code form.

I’ve found a few familiar situations occur:
a) they have a friend / family member that they talk to afterward and “have to” use their code
b) the referral doesn’t seem to make it “through” as it’s mentioned after they start talking to sales team rather than clicking on link and giving contact details (“oh, I didn’t want to give my details and have them put me on a mailing list”). I’m not a fan of going chasing these up as this can be perceived as after the fact imo

I’m not a fan of clickbait YouTube videos, etc. and honestly don’t know the fascination in long videos that could explain feedback in 5 minutes of text, or less :)

I feel pretty offended at the $1 ebay and craigslist offerings, doubly so when they post a picture of their referral code. This just seems to be the inverse intent of the program.

Any help, feedback and guidance on the best things that work for you graciously accepted.

Thanks, Mike

Reactions: TechVP
Mike..I found that going to a sales/SC on a Saturday and hanging out on the floor looking up inventory cars on the computer/checking out a demo while another buyer is, can help. you also need to really know Tesla and every little function. I know as I’m ocd about my car :)

I was at my SC last summer for a service and had to wait an hour for my car. In that time I spoke to 2 buyers who were checking out the MS and MX and told them I was an owner waiting for my car. They asked me a tonne of questions and in the end I asked them if they had a referral for free supercharging. Neither did... so they took mine and the sales fellow didn’t mind. Helps if you know the sales team well. I’ve been friendly with them all for some time and once even brought in some pizza/coffee for them for a job well done. Goes a long way in having them support you hanging around lol. I see them as extended Tesla family sometimes :)

In the end one buyer used mine, the other didn’t buy. For the 20 min I spent on it, it got me my 3rd referral and my $5000 21” arachnids earned. Not a bad investment of my time lol.

Funny enough the sales team asked me to come in occasional Saturdays and I’d likely get 1-2 per visit as they are astounded by how many buyers simply don’t have one. They are not allowed to provide as it must come from the buyer themselves to be legit.I simply don’t have the time being a father of 2 kids and weekend events!

Last edited:
@MikeBur - I've received 27 referrals in this round - probably the best one on your list are #2, 3, &4. Many of my referrals have been from conversations more than a year ago. I guess my best advice is to do what you're doing and think of it as planting seeds. You may not see the results immediately, but you will eventually see it start to grow.

I've never had a referral result from handing out cards with my code on it - it's all been about relationship building. When I offer help, it's sincere. When some of my likely referrals have decided to get a Model 3, I'm still there helping them.

The longest 'lead time' was a former colleague who waited FIVE years after I first got my Roadster. He finally bought a Model S and thought maybe he should give me the referral. :)

@MikeBur - I've received 27 referrals in this round - probably the best one on your list are #2, 3, &4. Many of my referrals have been from conversations more than a year ago. I guess my best advice is to do what you're doing and think of it as planting seeds. You may not see the results immediately, but you will eventually see it start to grow.

I've never had a referral result from handing out cards with my code on it - it's all been about relationship building. When I offer help, it's sincere. When some of my likely referrals have decided to get a Model 3, I'm still there helping them.

The longest 'lead time' was a former colleague who waited FIVE years after I first got my Roadster. He finally bought a Model S and thought maybe he should give me the referral. :)
Thanks.

Definitely many seeds planted over many years, though 1 referral to date :(

The card is only at end of test drive, conversation and more for follow up conversations and to answer direct questions via email. If anything I don’t mention the referral code - more “if you want free supercharging, or whatever TM may be offering go to the link and it will tell you”.
I used to hand out my business cards, though that resulted in a few folk following up for different hardware... ;)

Doesn’t bother me per se, as just evangelizing is fun enough, more that I wonder what am I missing? :)

Mike..I found that going to a sales/SC on a Saturday and hanging out on the floor looking up inventory cars on the computer/checking out a demo while another buyer is, can help. you also need to really know Tesla and every little function. I know as I’m ocd about my car :)

I was at my SC last summer for a service and had to wait an hour for my car. In that time I spoke to 2 buyers who were checking out the MS and MX and told them I was an owner waiting for my car. They asked me a tonne of questions and in the end I asked them if they had a referral for free supercharging. Neither did... so they took mine and the sales fellow didn’t mind. Helps if you know the sales team well. I’ve been friendly with them all for some time and once even brought in some pizza/coffee for them for a job well done. Goes a long way in having them support you hanging around lol. I see them as extended Tesla family sometimes :)

In the end one buyer used mine, the other didn’t buy. For the 20 min I spent on it, it got me my 3rd referral and my $5000 21” arachnids earned. Not a bad investment of my time lol.

Funny enough the sales team asked me to come in occasional Saturdays and I’d likely get 1-2 per visit as they are astounded by how many buyers simply don’t have one. They are not allowed to provide as it must come from the buyer themselves to be legit.I simply don’t have the time being a father of 2 kids and weekend events!

Thanks for the info.

Not sure I’d hang out at the showroom proactively ;)
You have a great point though as whenever I’ve been at showroom opportunistically I often get chatting and the sales team love the detail from owners on experiences, anecdotes, etc, though interesting (and now in a “D’Oh!” moment) I’ve never thought to hand out a card as they’re already in a showroom talking to sales staff...
This was doubly interesting more recently when the 3 came in. I knew more about the car than the staff and reinforced the sales team info to the point where it created a bit of a crowd - didn’t dare mention I had another red one sitting 3 minutes away as I feared I’d be there all day doing test drives and j had to get back to work - lol.

Does anyone have a referral business card template they wouldn't mind sharing?
I’m working away at moment, though after the weekend I should be able to share if someone hasn’t already. It’s not hard, though remember to respect Tesla’s trademark.
All you need is name, email, phone (mine has it) and something like for additional owner perspectives please email me.

Add referral QR code and url with something like, for free supercharging please use this link:...

Use something like this to generate qr code:
QR Code Generator - Create QR codes here

• Informative
Reactions: cmarshack