Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Galaxy A10 Bluetooth problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Samsung Galaxy A10 has worked as a phone key 98% of the time. If it has refused to unlock the M3 one solution was to turn Bluetooth off then on.

However just yesterday it has basically stopped working. I tried rebooting the car then rebooting the phone (but it reboots automatically twice a week anyway). It worked once then stopped again. I'm not sure if my connection is BLE and I'm not sure if this makes a difference anyway.

But this morning I found out something extra. Turn Bluetooth off then on and the message pops up with the car id and another device. I usually just hit "Done" and as above it sometimes connects but this time I hit the car id, meaning I suppose, connect to the car. This time it tried for a bit and then said "cannot connect".

So, what to do? It is a pain to have to get out the card and deal with that.

Have spoken to Tesla. The standard reply is to turn airplane mode on then off.This has worked to some degree. It is also possible that incompatibilities between the phone and car software introduce problems. Another solution is to delete the phone and add it back. This has also provided temporary relief. I have just installed an update to the M3 software and am going to delete and add.

One further item of interest. I was never clear on what 'Phone Key disconnected/connected' meant in the app. I assumed that 'connected' meant that it was in range of the car and 'disconnected' that it was not (although I must admit that I hadn't taken the trouble to actually check). But Tesla told me that 'connected' meant that Bluetooth was operational the phone as far as the app was concerned and that this meant that it would always work to allow the car to unlock etc 'Disconnected' meant that it was not working properly and that activation of the car would fail.

Can anyone confirm this? My app seems to flip frequently between the two messages. This is a real pain. I don't see the Card as a viable alternative.

Samsung is awful at power saving, so here are some tips that worked for me on my S10 and S20
Open app info for the Tesla app (through settings -> apps or long-press the app icon and press the (i) )
For permissions, make sure you use "Allow all the time" for location.
For Battery, allow background activity, and then go into "optimize battery usage".
Switch from "Apps not optimized" to "All" from the dropdown, then find the Tesla app.
Turn the switch off (it's on by default).

The next step shouldn't be necessary as long as BT is on, but on my S10 this made a big difference. On my S20 I haven't needed to do this.
Open setting (global, not for the app) and go to location.
On "Improve accuracy" enable Bluetooth scanning (location must be on in order to change this setting).