Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gallup to Albuquerque in X90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gjunky

Trifecta: Solar and both cars are EVs
Mar 26, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Anyone have any experience driving this leg in a Model X? I am planning a trip from Scottsdale or Flagstaff to ALB and this leg seems a bit of a stretch. I know it states it is only 145 miles.

ABetterRouteplanner states I need to charge in Gallup to 98% to get there with 10% remaining. Since we tend to see a 7% difference of the estimate and the actual (at least from the car's estimates), this would be cutting it a little close.
ABR-Flagstaff-Alb.JPG

I would love to have at least a 20% buffer. I know I can slow down if it looks like I won't make it however a bit of wind and this really becomes a stretch.

I saw a couple chargers on Plugshare along the way but that could one or more hours to the trip.

EVTripPlanner seems a bit more optimistic:
EVTP-Flagstaff-Alb.JPG

EVTripping Shows me something in the middle:
EVT-Flagstaff-Alb.JPG

Anyway, if anyone in a X90D or similar has made the trip and/or has some info, please share :)

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-27_13-1-39.png
    upload_2017-12-27_13-1-39.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 46
I've done Albuquerque to Gallup several times in both directions, but I was driving an S75D and it was summer. Always made it with no problems. I can't remember what I arrived with, but I'm the type of guy who tries for a 20% buffer. I imagine cold weather will be the biggest factor affecting your range.
FWIW I'll add that the Gallup and Holbrook SC's each have only 4 stalls, but that was never a problem for me. I never saw another Tesla at Gallup and once there was one other car in Holbrook. The Gallup SC is actually in West Gallup and not near the main part of town, so not many eating choices. Plan accordingly if this is also a meal stop. The Holbrook SC is at a Burger King and pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

• Informative
Reactions: gjunky
I think the only way you are in trouble with this stretch in your X90D is if the weather is truly extreme and even then it would probably only be a problem going west. Gale force winds and/or compact snow/ice on the roadway are the things to look out for. If you are truly conservative as the 20% buffer suggests, maybe just start out at or under the speed limit when headed westbound.

I've done this twice in a X90D with 22in wheels. The last was at the end of January last year on our way to New Orleans so my memory is not very fresh but we had no issues in making it to the Albuquerque supercharger. (Childress to Denton was a different story) I remember is was bitterly cold and that I just took it very easy at the beginning until I was confident that we had enough juice to make it. I know we didn't start at 100%. I think we headed straight to the hotel (Sheraton) and used their destination charger overnight rather than the supercharger.

> Childress to Denton was a different story

I'm planning on this over the summer. I've heard Denton to Childress is the troublemaking direction (uphill & often against the wind). Did you really have trouble going to Denton too?! If so I might adjust plans.

> Childress to Denton was a different story

I'm planning on this over the summer. I've heard Denton to Childress is the troublemaking direction (uphill & often against the wind). Did you really have trouble going to Denton too?! If so I might adjust plans.

I've done this route several times in a S85. You are correct, the Childress to Denton leg is not that challenging. You may need to limit speed to the speed limit , or if you are adventurous and don't mind the risk of rock chips you can draft behind 18 wheelers. I made Denton fine with 18 miles left, but that was after I increased my speed toward the end of the trip.

Denton to Childress is entirely dependent on the weather for me. It is uphill, and usually into the wind. One trip I stopped at Vernon for the night and charged at the Hampton Inn. There is also a EV friendly RV park in Vernon. Last time I routed from Dallas to Ardmore OK, charged to 95% at Ardmore, then on to Childress. That is a shorter distance, and less of an elevation change coming from Ardmore.

Wichita Falls can't happen fast enough, really.

As far as the original ABQ - Gallup query, I've done that both directions in a S85 and it was not anxiety provoking in either direction. It's a beautiful drive in the morning. The Gallup charger only has 4 slots, and not much there other than the hotel.

If you are coming from Scottsdale and winter conditions are on I-40, you might consider the southern route via Tuscon, Willcox, Deming, and T or C. That route is less likely to see any snow this time of year.

Last edited:
Reactions: DriverOne