Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Galveston Cruise Parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Parked at Galveston Cruise Parking - Port of Galveston Cruise Ship Parking | Port Parking this past week. They have 2 HPWC for customer use. They were very friendly, several of the employees wanted to see / talk about the car. Wide spots and Tesla inside, right near the front in pretty wide spots. Easy shuttle bus to the port. Very positive experience. I had made a reservation online and then emailed to request a Tesla spot.

Charged at 40A/226v. Back to fully charged before we moved into international waters!

Person I spoke to (biz owner??) was concerned about cost of electricity over the long run. He felt it was costing him around $8-10 per car. Implied that Tesla requirement for the free destination HPWC was that it had to be free use for customers. He is considering adding more HPWC, J1772, or perhaps just 14-50 outlets. Didn't say how many Teslas have visited him. He was aware of the Model 3 launch.

I'd be more than happy to pay $10 charge fee to not have to worry about supercharging in route and coming back to a full car. Was able to do drive from Austin round trip with no extra stops.

Parked at Galveston Cruise Parking - Port of Galveston Cruise Ship Parking | Port Parking this past week. They have 2 HPWC for customer use. They were very friendly, several of the employees wanted to see / talk about the car. Wide spots and Tesla inside, right near the front in pretty wide spots. Easy shuttle bus to the port. Very positive experience. I had made a reservation online and then emailed to request a Tesla spot.

Charged at 40A/226v. Back to fully charged before we moved into international waters!

Person I spoke to (biz owner??) was concerned about cost of electricity over the long run. He felt it was costing him around $8-10 per car. Implied that Tesla requirement for the free destination HPWC was that it had to be free use for customers. He is considering adding more HPWC, J1772, or perhaps just 14-50 outlets. Didn't say how many Teslas have visited him. He was aware of the Model 3 launch.

I'd be more than happy to pay $10 charge fee to not have to worry about supercharging in route and coming back to a full car. Was able to do drive from Austin round trip with no extra stops.
I'd think he'd want to put in a bunch of 110 volt outlets -- plenty to charge a car over the course of a week and a lot less expensive -- just like we recommend at airports.

I'd think he'd want to put in a bunch of 110 volt outlets -- plenty to charge a car over the course of a week and a lot less expensive -- just like we recommend at airports.

I agree. I'm going to try to contact him this week and make that very suggestion. It should work fine in a moderate temperature location such as Galveston. There are some voyages that are 4 days, so it would have to add 3 miles per hour to recover 300 miles (for a fully empty S100D for example). It should be fine. He sounded happy just adding a handful of 14-50 plugs. I feel like he has to either go J1772, 5-20, or 14-50... depending on if they are paying demand charges on their utility bill.

Reactions: bollar
If you suggest a bunch of 120V outlets make sure he understands that each needs its own circuit. 20A circuits would be sufficient and much less expensive than installing 14-50s or J1772s. As I'm typing this my car is plugged in at a hotel with a 5-20 adapter drawing 16A at 116V, giving 6 miles/hr. That would fully charge any Tesla even for just a 3 day cruise.

Question for the community -

We all know a bunch of dedicated 5-20 120V outlets would work great for cruise port parking where the minimum stay is 4 days. Personally, I would prefer dedicated 120V to a few J1772 chargers that they each move between 4 cars like Austin Airport FastPark. Both work, but dedicated is less prone to mistakes.

But would the general public see it the same way? Or would they go to a place that had premium 14-50 / HPWC / J1772 electrons?

It doesn't matter how the general public sees it. The general public wouldn't care, only EV owners. If you're wondering about future "mainstream" EV owners who don't frequent forums and don't know their amps from their volts, I think all they'll care about is a place to plug in.

It doesn't matter how the general public sees it. The general public wouldn't care, only EV owners. If you're wondering about future "mainstream" EV owners who don't frequent forums and don't know their amps from their volts, I think all they'll care about is a place to plug in.

Yes, future mainstream owners.

Do Chevy Bolts come with a 120v 15/20a EVSE?

It does seam like "we have 20 spots with dedicated 120V wall outlets for your charging" would be a pretty good message.

Yes, future mainstream owners.

Do Chevy Bolts come with a 120v 15/20a EVSE?

It does seam like "we have 20 spots with dedicated 120V wall outlets for your charging" would be a pretty good message.

I think for the foreseeable future that anyone who buys a BEV will be sufficiently aware how long it would take to charge their car and be OK with a 120V outlet while they're cruising.
Even after Model 3 reaches its full production target, BEVs will still comprise a quite small portion of the total automobile market.

Reactions: RScottyL
Question for the community -

We all know a bunch of dedicated 5-20 120V outlets would work great for cruise port parking where the minimum stay is 4 days. Personally, I would prefer dedicated 120V to a few J1772 chargers that they each move between 4 cars like Austin Airport FastPark. Both work, but dedicated is less prone to mistakes.

But would the general public see it the same way? Or would they go to a place that had premium 14-50 / HPWC / J1772 electrons?

The other issue with cruise parking and having to move plugs from one car to the other is often these cruise parking outfits only staff the lot on days the cruises are coming in or going. So if your car is charged fully after 1 day no one will be there to move the plug to the next car. I think dedicated 110V in this situation would work better.

As far as cost I would be more than willing to pay $20 for piece of mind knowing my car has an electrical connection while I am on the cruise. After the cost of a Disney cruise where a plastic fridge magnet costs about the same price $20 is a drop in the bucket. I have cruised out of Galveston 3 times and when I have my Model 3 this was one of my main concerns. I also use Fast Park and Relax and will also be needing to keep my car charged there. I will have to check it out next time I am parking there in December. (Who knows I might have my Model 3 by then).

Reactions: bollar
Thanks!!

Sorry I hadn't updated the thread. The owner of the lot(s) is looking to add ten to twenty dedicated outlets at each of his locations. He had talked to an electrician about 14-50s, but the quote came back at $110,000k including the wiring, additional power, and a new transformer. We went through the math and standard outlets would work great for a long parking situation like this.

He is now targeting 5-20 style outlets each on a single circuit. Bring your EVSE. He doesn't want to touch anyone's car or stuff... so dedicated is the only route he will go. Depending on price, he will be adding a bunch - between 10 and every spot. I'll check w/ him on an update.

I think usage pricing is up in the air still. I said I would gladly pay $10-$15. Most important thing to me was the spot and power was somehow guaranteed (reserved).

Port Parking (link in the posts above) is indeed a wonderful place to park during a cruise. It is refreshing to see (and meet) a business owner that truly "gets it".

They do have quite a few 120v outlets available. I used the Destination Charger (some day we need to start a campaign to change the name of those things -- they aren't "chargers") and it was great since I could charge to an initial level before the ship sailed, then start the charge again when we docked. But the wall outlet would have been fine.

The owner has plans to expand the charging facilities, so they should stay well ahead of demand.

Also nice that this is all indoor parking, as well.

Port Parking (link in the posts above) is indeed a wonderful place to park during a cruise. It is refreshing to see (and meet) a business owner that truly "gets it".

They do have quite a few 120v outlets available. I used the Destination Charger (some day we need to start a campaign to change the name of those things -- they aren't "chargers") and it was great since I could charge to an initial level before the ship sailed, then start the charge again when we docked. But the wall outlet would have been fine.

The owner has plans to expand the charging facilities, so they should stay well ahead of demand.

Also nice that this is all indoor parking, as well.

Thanks for the info. I just booked with them for a cruise later this month!

Reactions: BerTX
We utilized Port Parking (portparking.com) again. Good service and has two HPWC. If they are full, he has a handful of L1 outlets (bring your UMC).

Manager is watching usage and has plans to add a bunch of dedicated 20a circuits as EV utilization grows. As of now, sounds like he doesn't see a lot of EVs, but happy to grow once needed.

We recently parked here for a 7-night cruise, and they could not have been nicer. Excellent service, all around. They've sold us for the future.

The destination chargers were full, but (as mentioned) there were all sorts of L1 plugs around. Bring your UMC and ALSO your own extension cord, as they do not have those. That L1 is more than enough for the week.

I know this is a really old thread but we are headed down on Thursday 12/5/19 and checking to see if anyone has an update on best place to park and charge while at sea. This was a last minute booked cruise and excruiseparking.com that shows to have 2 Tesla chargers is booked full. Thanks in advance!