Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Game AI approach to help autonomous cars to avoid incidents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Things they've done are human facing. I've selectively bolded items to make it more clear.

got your idea - offline post processing of images, telemetry from game ( why them? because ALL points to your conclusion according to you) is human facing.

as for me - gui like nvidia shows is a possibility - but maybe not.

the reason I do not think three people are needed is that it was my first job in game dev 20 years ago to make a cockpit in Su-27 Flanker - I managed to develop it being only developer for few months ( later had to make few guis including for cars ). So it looks for me - gui like in demo does not require much effort

Last edited:
got your idea - offline post processing of images, telemetry from game ( why them? because ALL points to your conclusion according to you) is human facing.
well no post processing ... but "rendering". It's creating and displaying 3D representations of data.

This would be amazing for debugging issues or allowing the driver to see what autopilot is sensing.

Imagine getting logs from an accident and being able to recreate exactly how the car saw the world but rendered to a visualization that's better for human consumption. Radar point clouds aren't the prettiest things to look at. They aren't as friendly as lidar point clouds and even those aren't really good enough for end users. If they are going to let end users see that data then it should be rendered into a better looking, more realistic, 3D world.

That said Tesla does a lot for internal development. It may not face end users at all and just be used by human developers to create better designs as SpaceX does.

As far as using it to create 3D worlds for the simulated cars with simulated road markings and simulated lighting conditions. They could do this and probably do some form of it, but it's never as good as real world data. Luckily, Tesla has loads of real world data and more is coming in every day. Each day Tesla gets more miles of data than Google (Waymo) has since it they started collecting data in 2009. Google's data has more detail, but Tesla's data has more traffic situations/conditions.