Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Game controllers not recognized

josephcsible

Mar 20, 2021
United States of America
I want to play co-op Cuphead, so I bought two PowerA Enhanced Wired Controller for Xbox One controllers, as I've seen that specific brand mentioned on multiple websites as being a controller that works with Tesla Arcade. I have the 2021 refresh center console, so all of my USB ports except for the one in the glove box are type-C. I tried plugging the controllers in both with this USB hub and this adapter, but in both cases, I still can't play and just see the message "Plug a compatible game controller into one of the vehicle's front USB ports to Play". I'm using the front two USB ports that have data, not the rear ones that are charging-only. I tried plugging in the controllers first and then opening Tesla Arcade, and I tried opening Tesla Arcade first and then plugging in the controllers, neither of which worked. I also tried the scroll wheel reset, which didn't help either. I'm on software version 2021.4.12. I verified that both controllers are recognized fine by a PC. At this point, I'm basically out of ideas. What else can I try?

b_c_k

Mar 22, 2021
Misouri
I want to play co-op Cuphead, so I bought two PowerA Enhanced Wired Controller for Xbox One controllers, as I've seen that specific brand mentioned on multiple websites as being a controller that works with Tesla Arcade. I have the 2021 refresh center console, so all of my USB ports except for the one in the glove box are type-C. I tried plugging the controllers in both with this USB hub and this adapter, but in both cases, I still can't play and just see the message "Plug a compatible game controller into one of the vehicle's front USB ports to Play". I'm using the front two USB ports that have data, not the rear ones that are charging-only. I tried plugging in the controllers first and then opening Tesla Arcade, and I tried opening Tesla Arcade first and then plugging in the controllers, neither of which worked. I also tried the scroll wheel reset, which didn't help either. I'm on software version 2021.4.12. I verified that both controllers are recognized fine by a PC. At this point, I'm basically out of ideas. What else can I try?
I don't have a 3 but in an S with MCU2 (no USB-C ports so no USB adapter to blame) same controller (brand new) on 2021.4.12... Have the same issue, tested it on a PC and the light comes on but not in the car on either port.

Upvote 0

josephcsible

Mar 20, 2021
United States of America
I don't have a 3 but in an S with MCU2 (no USB-C ports so no USB adapter to blame) same controller (brand new) on 2021.4.12... Have the same issue, tested it on a PC and the light comes on but not in the car on either port.
This made me suspicious that my problem was related to the controllers themselves and not to the USB ports. I got two new controllers (Logitech F310 Gamepad and DP - Wired Controller for PC, Xbox One, Xbox One S and Xbox One X - Crimson Red), both of which work fine (using the same USB-C hub and/or adapter), which seems to confirm that theory. I now suspect that at some point during production, PowerA changed something about their controllers. Anyone who has a PowerA controller, can you post when you bought it and whether or not it works for you? I wonder if that brand should be removed from lists of compatible ones.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sdtagw and Phlier
Upvote 0

Dotsmada

Apr 9, 2021
Texas
I did the same regarding the PowerA controllers and the USB C to A adapters and hubs. I also plugged in a PS4 controller and an xbox controller into the hubs and I get nothing. I will try out the DP controller you linked to see if that works for me.

Upvote 0

donsla

Jan 24, 2021
Buffalo NY
Hi everyone! It's pretty obvious that the game controller issue is a mess. I'm not convinced there is a controller out there that works perfectly on all the games. After watching many YouTube videos and reading many posts I ended up buying the Logitech F310. It works sometimes on some of the games for me. I've come to the point where I think that's the best it can get. I'm sure it isn't a priority at Tesla.

Upvote 0

DLCarrington

Jun 6, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
I just updated my 2017 Model S to MCU2 and tried Power A $20 controller and Power A enhanced $30 controller and neither work.
<<BUT>>, my son has an older (purchased year or two ago) $20 Power A controller (same model number) and it works fine!! Repeated tests prove same. New controllers don't work but old one does. I'm tired of spending way too much time on this issue!! Microsoft wireless xbox controller did work with USB-C to USB cable. I may just stick to the expensive Microsoft ones and use cables. The Magic NS adapter is apparently waiting on firmware update to work wirelessly with the new Xbox One wireless controller and it wouldn't connect.

Upvote 0

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC