Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Game controllers not recognized

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to play co-op Cuphead, so I bought two PowerA Enhanced Wired Controller for Xbox One controllers, as I've seen that specific brand mentioned on multiple websites as being a controller that works with Tesla Arcade. I have the 2021 refresh center console, so all of my USB ports except for the one in the glove box are type-C. I tried plugging the controllers in both with this USB hub and this adapter, but in both cases, I still can't play and just see the message "Plug a compatible game controller into one of the vehicle's front USB ports to Play". I'm using the front two USB ports that have data, not the rear ones that are charging-only. I tried plugging in the controllers first and then opening Tesla Arcade, and I tried opening Tesla Arcade first and then plugging in the controllers, neither of which worked. I also tried the scroll wheel reset, which didn't help either. I'm on software version 2021.4.12. I verified that both controllers are recognized fine by a PC. At this point, I'm basically out of ideas. What else can I try?

Reactions: scott2
I want to play co-op Cuphead, so I bought two PowerA Enhanced Wired Controller for Xbox One controllers, as I've seen that specific brand mentioned on multiple websites as being a controller that works with Tesla Arcade. I have the 2021 refresh center console, so all of my USB ports except for the one in the glove box are type-C. I tried plugging the controllers in both with this USB hub and this adapter, but in both cases, I still can't play and just see the message "Plug a compatible game controller into one of the vehicle's front USB ports to Play". I'm using the front two USB ports that have data, not the rear ones that are charging-only. I tried plugging in the controllers first and then opening Tesla Arcade, and I tried opening Tesla Arcade first and then plugging in the controllers, neither of which worked. I also tried the scroll wheel reset, which didn't help either. I'm on software version 2021.4.12. I verified that both controllers are recognized fine by a PC. At this point, I'm basically out of ideas. What else can I try?
I don't have a 3 but in an S with MCU2 (no USB-C ports so no USB adapter to blame) same controller (brand new) on 2021.4.12... Have the same issue, tested it on a PC and the light comes on but not in the car on either port.

Upvote 0
I don't have a 3 but in an S with MCU2 (no USB-C ports so no USB adapter to blame) same controller (brand new) on 2021.4.12... Have the same issue, tested it on a PC and the light comes on but not in the car on either port.
This made me suspicious that my problem was related to the controllers themselves and not to the USB ports. I got two new controllers (Logitech F310 Gamepad and DP - Wired Controller for PC, Xbox One, Xbox One S and Xbox One X - Crimson Red), both of which work fine (using the same USB-C hub and/or adapter), which seems to confirm that theory. I now suspect that at some point during production, PowerA changed something about their controllers. Anyone who has a PowerA controller, can you post when you bought it and whether or not it works for you? I wonder if that brand should be removed from lists of compatible ones.

Upvote 0
I did the same regarding the PowerA controllers and the USB C to A adapters and hubs. I also plugged in a PS4 controller and an xbox controller into the hubs and I get nothing. I will try out the DP controller you linked to see if that works for me.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone! It's pretty obvious that the game controller issue is a mess. I'm not convinced there is a controller out there that works perfectly on all the games. After watching many YouTube videos and reading many posts I ended up buying the Logitech F310. It works sometimes on some of the games for me. I've come to the point where I think that's the best it can get. I'm sure it isn't a priority at Tesla.

Upvote 0
I just updated my 2017 Model S to MCU2 and tried Power A $20 controller and Power A enhanced $30 controller and neither work.
<<BUT>>, my son has an older (purchased year or two ago) $20 Power A controller (same model number) and it works fine!! Repeated tests prove same. New controllers don't work but old one does. I'm tired of spending way too much time on this issue!! Microsoft wireless xbox controller did work with USB-C to USB cable. I may just stick to the expensive Microsoft ones and use cables. The Magic NS adapter is apparently waiting on firmware update to work wirelessly with the new Xbox One wireless controller and it wouldn't connect.

Upvote 0
Alright, so I finally had a chance to test and I can say that my PowerA Enchanced Wired Controller and this Belkin USB C to Micro USB cable ARE WORKING on my '21 M3 running 2021.4.15.

However, there are a few caveats: 1. I've only been able to play 50% of the games, the others are "waiting to update" or some such bs. I have not been able to test cuphead. 2. I got the controller through amazon warehouse, which is their open box discount option, I only paid $14 for it and who knows how long it was sitting on their shelves, I could very well have a different revision than the current retail channel. 3. The controller's USB port housing has a small piece of plastic (assuming to force use of their included cable) that you will need to nip off before the belkin cable will fit, very easy to do.

I chose the amazon wholesale option because I didnt want to spend any real money on this curiosity, however I might have lucked out as mentioned above, so I would recommend buying used from ebay or elsewhere. I chose the belkin cable specifically because it was touted as USB-IF certified, which is really just being approved by the consortium that is behind usb. I'd guess that most decent USB C cables will meet the same requirements, but some manufacturers wont go through the trouble to do so/pay the licensing. I've been in IT for a long time and belkin, while much of their stuff is crap, does tend to make good cable. YMMV and all that, but so far so good!

Upvote 0
Hi everyone! It's pretty obvious that the game controller issue is a mess. I'm not convinced there is a controller out there that works perfectly on all the games. After watching many YouTube videos and reading many posts I ended up buying the Logitech F310. It works sometimes on some of the games for me. I've come to the point where I think that's the best it can get. I'm sure it isn't a priority at Tesla.
What does “perfectly” mean here? I use an Xbox core controller Link, which while pricey has always worked. For some games, like breakout, the joysticks might be a bit too sensitive, but that’s the only issue it’s had. I use it plugged in with a USB-C cable so I don’t have to deal with controller batteries.

Upvote 0
I am using the latest xbox controller (that comes with the series x) and not having any problems while wired in.
I'm on a 2021, so I have a hub that connects to my USBC port and i'm plugged into that hub using the USBC to USB cable that came with the controller. It works perfectly and I haven't had any issue with any of the games.

I have the Mayflash Magic-NS adapter to try to work with it wirelessly but that doesn't support the latest controller yet. They have been making updates though so I am hoping they will add support for it soon.

I haven't tried wiring into the Mayflash adapter directly, but I suspect that would work just fine (they claim to support it wired, just easier to use my hub).

Upvote 0
the others are "waiting to update" or some such bs. I have not been able to test cuphead

i had this issue forever!!!! until i updated to the latest software (back in january i think) then it gave an option to download the game again

i went to the supercharger in burbank and was able to connect to wifi and successfully DLed all the games which were previously "waiting to update"

i read some people had to call the tesla service to reset their games to make them downloadable again

but you 100% need to be connected to wifi in order for the car to update with those games

Upvote 0
Bought some of these just now. I haven't seen anything anywhere about PS4 controllers, anybody know anything about those? Going to give them a shot when these adapters get here.
I just returned my PowerA controllers to Amazon because they didn't work with my Model 3 LR RWD, Nov 2018 build, MCU 3 upgrade, Jeda v3 hub.

I just tried the PS4 controller and it worked with a wired connection usbA to microB cable.

Haven't tested dual controllers yet because all my USB A ports are occupied between the wireless charger and first PS4 controller. Will report back when I get a USB c to mirco B adaptor.

Anyone know what wireless adapters would work with this setup?

Last edited:
Upvote 0