Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Games while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Obviously I haven't tried this because I am i. Not insane and ii. Remain alive, but I saw this article which suggests you can play some games whilst driving
DNYUZ Tesla article
And it seems to have confirmation in a Model S thread.
Am I slow to realise this? Is it old news (seems an old version that allowed it)? Does it work on the 3? Does anyone think this is not absolute weapons grade moronicity on the part of Tesla and a poor attempt to get us to buy FSD so we can plunge to fiery deaths while playing Polytopia at 85mph on the M5 at rush hour?

Personally I think that drivers should be taking responsibility for their actions. Yes, you can play some of the games when driving (might be just solitaire and skyforce) but you have to press the "I am a passenger" button. You can also drive at 145mph, that's not legal in many places. Why should they limit one and not the other?

Because people are idiots and struggle to self-regulate.
But they can self regulate their speed? That doesn't make sense.

It seems that what you're saying is that because some people are idiots then the rest of us should suffer? That person who doesn't have the self restraint to not play a game while driving will probably just use their mobile phone to play the game instead surely.

It's technically illegal in the UK to change the radio while driving too, maybe Tesla should disable that as well?

I often do long drives with my kids in the car, it's nice for them to be able to play a game while I'm driving and I don't see why this is supposedly such a bad thing.

It seems that what you're saying is that because some people are idiots then the rest of us should suffer? That person who doesn't have the self restraint to not play a game while driving will probably just use their mobile phone to play the game instead surely.

It's technically illegal in the UK to change the radio while driving too, maybe Tesla should disable that as well?

I often do long drives with my kids in the car, it's nice for them to be able to play a game while I'm driving and I don't see why this is supposedly such a bad thing.
Not quite illegal for the radio, just not advised . (From the highway code)

Safe driving and riding needs concentration. Avoid distractions when driving or riding such as
  • loud music (this may mask other sounds)
  • trying to read maps
  • inserting a cassette or CD or tuning a radio
  • arguing with your passengers or other road users
  • eating and drinking
  • smoking
However until everyone gives up the nicotine habit, gets GPS and doesn't have a marital in the car we have to all be careful. :)

It does make sense, you're just kneejerking. It's self-regulation entropy. The more opportunity you give people to use "common sense", people take more and more risks, because they're dim. You could advocate a complete free-for-all: make seatbelt wearing discretionary, have a few drinks and drive the car if you feel alright. The reason laws are going the other way on in-car entertainment systems is they are clearly implicated in accidents involving loss of concentration.
It seems that what you're saying is that because some people are idiots then the rest of us should suffer?
Bingo.

• Disagree
Reactions: Casss
It does make sense, you're just kneejerking. It's self-regulation entropy. The more opportunity you give people to use "common sense", people take more and more risks, because they're dim. You could advocate a complete free-for-all: make seatbelt wearing discretionary, have a few drinks and drive the car if you feel alright. The reason laws are going the other way on in-car entertainment systems is they are clearly implicated in accidents involving loss of concentration.

Bingo.
So what you're saying is that we should no longer trust people to follow the law or 'do the right thing' and instead should just force everyone to do so instead? Starting to sound a bit minority report!

Reactions: Casss
The point is, like seatbelt wearing that you mentioned earlier, this is already illegal to do and you'll get points for being caught doing it if you're the driver.

Disabling the use of the games at all while in motion disadvantages the front passenger but doesn't appear to offer any benefits to those already planning to follow the law.

At the end of the day it's not up to Tesla to decide this, they are simply following the law and if you don't agree with that law then surely it's the government that should be the target rather than Tesla?

I'm just sick of everyone having to lose out on things because of a few idiots that decide they know better than the law.

Reactions: phil4
It's a lot easier stopping something with legislation before it occurs than afterwards. Smoking and alcohol would probably be illegal if we weren't already doing it, cannabis probably wouldn't be outlawed if it was currently legal.

They've been playing catch up in this area with phones. I suspect every magistrate in the country would support a "due care and attention" prosecution if the driver was playing a game on the screen while driving, so stop it with law (and car type approval regulations) before its common place.

And while cars can do 150 mph... thats all starting to change too (although not completely)

It's been possible since the summer, when the layout changed to have the larger visualisation. My son has played Polytopia while I'm driving, no deaths. There is a warning and you have to confirm you are a passenger when you load a game.

If I had found it distracting, I would have told him to stop it. Just like if he was using an iPad in the front seat and I found it distracting. As the driver you are responsible for making sure you are driving with due care and attention.

Lots of things are capable of distraction, finding music, making calls, searching addresses. It's up to the driver to make sure they are using it responsibly and safely. I agree with @ChrisSFoot , it's no different from any other use of your car being done in a way that's safe and compatible with the law.

Personally I think that drivers should be taking responsibility for their actions. Yes, you can play some of the games when driving (might be just solitaire and skyforce) but you have to press the "I am a passenger" button.

I agree with @ChrisSFoot , it's no different from any other use of your car being done in a way that's safe and compatible with the law.
What, exactly, are you agreeing with? Because at one point Chris says you as the driver should take responsibility for your actions and if you do it's OK to play games while driving. This is probably cold comfort to whomever you might be involved in an accident with.

It then jumps around a bit and the argument shifts (conveniently) to passengers using the screen. But the quote above does seem to advocate the driver being able to play games if they are "responsible".

What, exactly, are you agreeing with? Because at one point Chris says you as the driver should take responsibility for your actions and if you do it's OK to play games while driving. This is probably cold comfort to whomever you might be involved in an accident with.

It then jumps around a bit and the argument shifts (conveniently) to passengers using the screen. But the quote above does seem to advocate the driver being able to play games if they are "responsible".
I'm agreeing that it's up to a driver to be responsible and make sure they are not distracted. Whether that's a passenger playing a game or a driver trying to doesn't matter to me. It's up to them to make sure they aren't being distracted.

Whether the car offers games to passengers or not is irrelevant, whether a driver could claim to be a passenger is also irrelevant. I would change my mind if every car function was already designed to avoid the driver having an opportunity to be distracted, but that is not the case, nearly every car has built in features that could easily distract a driver for long enough to have an accident, and it's been like this for years.