Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gaming the system - push LR into 2022?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
My delivery is presently set for December 14 - January 3 (but in Telsa time, who knows what century?)
Anyway, if, IF those dates hold true, from what I understand, I'd still be getting a 2021.5 model.
I read different things, that Tesla calls their last quarter the next year's date, or not.
I'm not even sure if say, built December, 2021 and delivered January, 2022 would be a 21 or a 22.
I'm fairly confident a February delivery would be built say, January thus 2022.
Why am I interested?
If a lease, no difference.
If I buy, then based on the price increases, it may have more value when I go to sell.
Can anyone shed some light and give any thoughts?
Thanks so much!
PS I intended to lease, but buying MAY make more sense, especially how Teslas hold their values. I'd likely sell after 3 years anyway, so if just a break even I'd rather lease. Thanks!

• Funny
Reactions: doubleshot
It will be a refreshed model, but the model year, like most car manufacturers, isn't tied to a calendar year. It will likely be whatever year is on the refreshed model now, particularly in January of next year. Tesla doesn't move fast on things like that.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
Hi All,
My delivery is presently set for December 14 - January 3 (but in Telsa time, who knows what century?)
Anyway, if, IF those dates hold true, from what I understand, I'd still be getting a 2021.5 model.
I read different things, that Tesla calls their last quarter the next year's date, or not.
I'm not even sure if say, built December, 2021 and delivered January, 2022 would be a 21 or a 22.
I'm fairly confident a February delivery would be built say, January thus 2022.
Why am I interested?
If a lease, no difference.
If I buy, then based on the price increases, it may have more value when I go to sell.
Can anyone shed some light and give any thoughts?
Thanks so much!
PS I intended to lease, but buying MAY make more sense, especially how Teslas hold their values. I'd likely sell after 3 years anyway, so if just a break even I'd rather lease. Thanks!
Incorrect. The cutover date for 2022 model year is now for builds in October.

Tesla has been operating like this since ~2019.

Incorrect. Do a search of the forums at TMC for model year changeover and you will see Tesla model years change dates, and are not calendar years. It may be true that Tesla has announced that they will change the model year on the S around October, but this is not always the model year changeover month tradition at Tesla. In any event, it will be a refreshed model.

Incorrect. Do a search of the forums at TMC for model year changeover and you will see Tesla model years change dates, and are not calendar years. It may be true that Tesla has announced that they will change the model year on the S around October, but this is not always the model year changeover month tradition at Tesla. In any event, it will be a refreshed model.
Nope. You are 100% wrong.

Stop spreading false info. Plenty of owners can chime in with their VIN and build dates. Anything built in Oct 2021 will be a 2022 model year.

Reactions: VolcanoTacos
OK. Tesla started doing the fall MY changeover for most models in 2019, with some exceptions. It seems that since then, the fall has been the traditional MY changeover, but this has not been true before 2019. I give in partially. :) Two years is not really a precedent though.

Thanks all! I guess time will ultimately tell. We should know I guess in mid to late october if those deliveries (of anything built in october) is definitively a 2022. Of course, would be great if Tesla announced. Oh, that's funny, i crack myself up! :)
so, if Q4 is in fact 2022, which would be fine by me, i'd have no real advantage to delay my delayed delivery, unless i hear a rumor of upgraded components or improved firmware.
There was a rumor i think Q4 last year that by now we'd have HW4 - and then on AI day i think we heard HW4 will first appear on the CT, so that took away another thought I had to delay.
Thanks again all!

They continually upgrade their cars, so model year definitely has nothing to do with components. The 2020 model year cars, like mine, had 3 different EPA mileage certifications, or more. They started removing radars on some model 3 cars in mid year this year. This may occur in the S at some point.

Last edited:
I can’t stand when people say “Model year doesn’t matter”. It’s like something right out of Tesla’s non-existent PR department.

Model year DOES master to the CONSUMER when it comes to things like insurance, excise tax, and re-sale value.

Reactions: Gpa9504
I can’t stand when people say “Model year doesn’t matter”. It’s like something right out of Tesla’s non-existent PR department.

Model year DOES master to the CONSUMER when it comes to things like insurance, excise tax, and re-sale value.
Are you saying that a 2021 S LR built in January 2021 has the same rating and value as a 2021 refreshed model LR with the extra HP, features, and price increases? I think they will be different for insurance ratings, resale, and taxes.

Are you saying that a 2021 S LR built in January 2021 has the same rating and value as a 2021 refreshed model LR with the extra HP, features, and price increases? I think they will be different for insurance ratings, resale, and taxes.
First off, Tesla is not making the pre-refresh Model S anymore. So that point is moot when it comes to OP’s question. He’s not getting a pre-refresh S. Period.

I am saying a June 2021 refresh(Model year 2021) will be treated differently than a December 2021 refresh (Model year 2022).

But to your question, it is entirely possible that insurance companies and municipalities would treat a 2021 pre and post refresh similarly. They go by VIN and model year, so what would differentiate the two? Buyers would obviously treat them very differently.

Model years can/do matter for a variety of reasons.

Also, it's not like Tesla is the only automaker that "updates" cars during the model year. Plenty of other automakers do that as well as far as the availability of powertrains, options, features, etc. What's standard or available at the beginning of the model year may not be the same by the end of the model year.

Where model years are almost always consistent as far as the car itself is with style and/or platform changes. Except on fairly rare occasions, the style of the car will remain the same during a particular model year.

With Tesla, there have been a couple of times when a new/refresh MS carried the same model year as the previous version. In 2016 with the new nose (sometimes referred to as a 2016.5 model) and with this year's refresh (sometimes referred to as a 2021.5 model). When someone talks generically about a "2021 Model S" you don't necessarily know if they are referring to the refresh model or a previous version car built in Q4 2020.

Reactions: glide
Thanks all! I guess time will ultimately tell. We should know I guess in mid to late october if those deliveries (of anything built in october) is definitively a 2022. Of course, would be great if Tesla announced. Oh, that's funny, i crack myself up! :)
so, if Q4 is in fact 2022, which would be fine by me, i'd have no real advantage to delay my delayed delivery, unless i hear a rumor of upgraded components or improved firmware.
There was a rumor i think Q4 last year that by now we'd have HW4 - and then on AI day i think we heard HW4 will first appear on the CT, so that took away another thought I had to delay.
Thanks again all!
I own a business in the automotive industry and we design and source the manufacturing of a lot of our parts. The shortages with some components are getting worse (not better) everyone is talking about the chip shortage but there is also a LED shortage and even a looming copper wire shortage that are expected to get worse by the end of the year. I would be more nervous that delaying a delivery would result is possibly less features and more substitute parts just like how Tesla and other automakers are having to do with other models now.

I own a business in the automotive industry and we design and source the manufacturing of a lot of our parts. The shortages with some components are getting worse (not better) everyone is talking about the chip shortage but there is also a LED shortage and even a looming copper wire shortage that are expected to get worse by the end of the year. I would be more nervous that delaying a delivery would result is possibly less features and more substitute parts just like how Tesla and other automakers are having to do with other models now.

Agree, the supply change isn't fixed and is going to get even worse, even if semiconductor chips improve for a while (but they won't for long). So much is screwed up right now due to lack of labor, resulting in lack of supply, and transportation due to labor/demand/and supply.

I'd try to get a MS if you want one ASAP still.

Reactions: IamGaryGnu