Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gap between headlight and bumper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that my otherwise perfect Model Y has a tiny gap between the headlight and the front bumper. It is symmetric and is there on both sides. It is very possible that this is within spec as I have seen it in other vehicles. I think it is due to Model 3's headlight being reused thus leaving a gap.

Can those who have the Y check and comment?
Headlight_Gap.png

I noticed that my otherwise perfect Model Y has a tiny gap between the headlight and the front bumper. It is symmetric and is there on both sides. It is very possible that this is within spec as I have seen it in other vehicles. I think it is due to Model 3's headlight being reused thus leaving a gap.

Can those who have the Y check and comment?View attachment 591760

Your headlight is supposed to be flush with the bumper.

I had a similar issue, but on the outside corner and Tesla adjusted it. Fair warning, they removed the front bumper, adjust the headlights and front fenders then re-install. It’s a roll of the dice. Could end up worse or with some new scratches. It’s still not “perfect”

• Informative
Reactions: Koolio46
I had a similar issue, but on the outside corner and Tesla adjusted it. Fair warning, they removed the front bumper, adjust the headlights and front fenders then re-install. It’s a roll of the dice. Could end up worse or with some new scratches. It’s still not “perfect”

That is what I am afraid of. Other than this, the front end looks perfect and I don't want to ruin it.

Had similar problems on 2 M3s and my MY with varying severity. Had the first M3 adjusted at service, and wouldn't do again. The front bumper never aligned right with the quarter panels after that.

Both of my headlights exhibited this issue and Tesla wouldn't do anything about it. My headlights were already fully seated against the stop in the fender, so I fixed this myself by peeling back the wheel liners, reaching underneath the headlight assembly, and pushing the bumper cover out slightly such that it snapped into place and was flush with the headlight. The most difficult part of the whole affair is removing the liner.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Both of my headlights exhibited this issue and Tesla wouldn't do anything about it. My headlights were already fully seated against the stop in the fender, so I fixed this myself by peeling back the wheel liners, reaching underneath the headlight assembly, and pushing the bumper cover out slightly such that it snapped into place and was flush with the headlight. The most difficult part of the whole affair is removing the liner.

I’m surprised the bumper had that much play?

As others have said, your headlights casting a shadow on the bumper is indicative of them not being fitted correctly.
BTW spec for this overhang is 4mm! I made a big stink at the SC when they told me they wouldn't fix mine, and they did make both perfectly flush with no overhang or gap on the inside corner.
Good luck.

I just gave this a try today. Peeled back the wheel well liner, reached underneath the headlight assembly, and gave an outward push on the bumper cover. It probably had give of a few millimetres, but no snap/click, and when I released, it just moved back into the original position. I gave it a pretty good prolonged push, even bracing against the headlights.
How much force did you need to apply?

Also, you mentioned your headlights were fully seated against the stop in the fender. Can you elaborate on this?
Thanks!

I have something similar with passenger side headlight; small gap in same location as the OP's...only mine is a tad bigger.

Asked them to fix it at the SC, the advisor said it'd be an easy fix but it was never fixed. The repair invoice stated they fixed it but I can tell it wasn't touched. I didn't care b/c it's purely cosmetic and only noticeable if you're looking for gaps/issues. Then, when I watched the Sandy Munro video of the MY teardown, I was glad they didn't take off the front bumper, etc. to adjust it.