Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gap between lease end and delivery. Need suggestions.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My lease ended on November 15th and was able to get Mercedes to give me two additional months to January 15. My current delivery estimate is November (ha) to January. Since I’m skeptical of getting car in January I’m looking for ideas of what to do for potentially a few weeks or up to a couple of months. Any good deals with rental companies?

After I sold my Model S, I had about 3 weeks until I could get my next car because I was refinancing my house and it hadn't closed yet. I used Turo, and rented a car for that time. It turned out to be one of my neighbors renting it out, so I just walked over and picked it up. Super easy and cheap (or expensive if you want something fun).

Fast forward 18 months, and now I need to get out of my lease that has 18 months remaining so I can get my Model 3. Thinking about trying swapalease. I have a car buying problem...

After I sold my Model S, I had about 3 weeks until I could get my next car because I was refinancing my house and it hadn't closed yet. I used Turo, and rented a car for that time. It turned out to be one of my neighbors renting it out, so I just walked over and picked it up. Super easy and cheap (or expensive if you want something fun).

Fast forward 18 months, and now I need to get out of my lease that has 18 months remaining so I can get my Model 3. Thinking about trying swapalease. I have a car buying problem...

Dealing with same problems as you ... and OP.

Best bet for getting out of lease early turned out to be simply finding the best re-sale and then paying off the lease. Net loss to us about $1300.

Now that we've pulled the trigger, rather than risk too much further depreciation, we're hoping that Tesla's "four weeks" doesn't stretch much past six. One-carring it over the holidays is fine, but after that it would be tougher. We've considered renting, and Turo sounds like a great idea compared to Enterjunk.

In the meantime, today is the first time that my wife has ventured out with my 85D. That's trust. That's love. (And, that's knowing that she'll let me do the same soon with her red M3!)

Good luck, all; this is fun!

Try this company in LA: West Side Rent a Car – Medium and long term car rentals in Los Angeles
You can also call Hertz or Enterprise and ask for long term rental rates.
Also, call Mercedes again, say it's the holidays, you don't have time to go on test drives, you really want another Mercedes, but need a little more time to make up your mind, etc. etc. and then ask for another 30 day extension. I don't think they will want to loose a customer over a 30 day extension.
Also, try turo.com

Same situation here. I used fair.com, they do some sort of a lease / rent of apparently off-lease cars, with a very low entry price and a "cancel anytime" policy (you need to give them a 5-day notice). I got the cheapest they had - a 38k miles Leaf for $132/mo incl taxes, and they gave me a voucher that covered most of the initial cost. Really good customer service. They dont just have beaters, they seem to have anything, up to Bentley's and Maserati's and stuff.

Mercedes allowed me to extend my lease by 6 months while I looked for a used Model S. I decided I wanted Autopilot and then to wait for a 3. At the end of the lease extension, the market price was $7k less than the lease residual. I turned the car into the dealer and they sold it back to me at the current market price as I wait for my 3.

I had the opposite problem, my Acura TLX has 10 months left on the lease but I am picking up my 3 this weekend. So I gave my TLX to Shift for $24.8k but my payoff is $26.2k so I got to pay $1.4k to end my lease early. Or else my lease was just $416 per month.

Same situation here. I used fair.com, they do some sort of a lease / rent of apparently off-lease cars, with a very low entry price and a "cancel anytime" policy (you need to give them a 5-day notice). I got the cheapest they had - a 38k miles Leaf for $132/mo incl taxes, and they gave me a voucher that covered most of the initial cost. Really good customer service. They dont just have beaters, they seem to have anything, up to Bentley's and Maserati's and stuff.

+1 I got a BMW M3 on Fair.com to hold me over until my Model 3 delivery :)