Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gap between top of front suspension knuckle and top of tire not consistent on both sides

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can any one explain to me why the space between the top of my front tires to the top of the knuckle arm (where it meets the top wishbone) is not consistent on both sides? On the front right passenger side, I can pretty much stick my fingers between the top of the tire and the knuckle, yet on the left driver side, I can't quite place my fingers in between. It seems strange to me, I would think they should be consistent. No accidents or front suspension damage... Is this a production tolerance/variation or simply a difference in caster angle. The left caster angle measures 5.9 degrees and the right 5.1 degrees (based upon recent wheel alignment). Maybe I am making something out of nothing, but if anyone can help explain this, it would be most appreciated.

The ball joint in the upper control arm is pinched in the upright and theirs a groove in the ball joint for the bolt to interfere and block from coming out. The gap makes me think maybe the ball joint isnt all the way in and captured by the bolt or theres a tolerance issue and the bolt isnt engaging the ball joint letting it slip upward.

I would pull the wheel on the long side, remove the bolt, and visually check the ball joint is fully engaged.

Thanks guys. I was thinking the caster angle difference between the two sides was too great as well - even though they are both in the green based upon the alignment printout. I will also look at what Dallas J suggested as well regarding the upper control arm ball joint.