Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gap In Frunk Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question...I had a repair at the service center today where they opened up my Frunk.

I noticed the plastic piece inside near the edges (where it meets the vehicle) has a bit of a gap...see Picture 1.

It is completely clipped in and seated correctly...but even with the frunk closed...if looking carefully, I can also see it. See Picture 2.

It’s only from one specific angle though...Picture 3 is almost same as Picture 2 from a different angle.

Can anyone else open their Frunk and shine a light to see if they can also see down a little gap between the plastic Frunk piece and the metal body (where the clips are attached)?

Attachments

• K4bApBZ.jpg
    K4bApBZ.jpg
    566.9 KB · Views: 247
  • HmW1nyc.jpg
    HmW1nyc.jpg
    763.4 KB · Views: 193
  • ubrbVqq.jpg
    ubrbVqq.jpg
    662.9 KB · Views: 193
Question...I had a repair at the service center today where they opened up my Frunk.

I noticed the plastic piece inside near the edges (where it meets the vehicle) has a bit of a gap...see Picture 1.

It is completely clipped in and seated correctly...but even with the frunk closed...if looking carefully, I can also see it. See Picture 2.

It’s only from one specific angle though...Picture 3 is almost same as Picture 2 from a different angle.

Can anyone else open their Frunk and shine a light to see if they can also see down a little gap between the plastic Frunk piece and the metal body (where the clips are attached)?

Mine was similar on the passenger side. I thought it was snapped in place as well but it wasn’t. I loosened up the tub by unbolting it and stretched it on the passenger side to slide it down into the retainers. All is well now..

Can you take picture of it now?

Sure. Here you go. One thing to keep in mind here. The entire area under the hood, with the exception of the frunk itself outlined by its rubber seal, is a ‘wet area’. Meaning water flows through there all the time in the rain and when washing. If you look closely at it you can see it’s designed to channel rain water down around the outside of the frunk and to drain through the gap at the front between the plastic and the bumper cover.
The same applies to water flowing into the hood gap all around. Some of it will just drip straight down through the gap between the plastic tub and the metal bodywork. No harm. The tub, and it’s edge retainers, appears to be designed to have a gap around the edge of it.

486BFCC9-5D76-4EF8-AA48-C6A60650173D.jpeg

D8C0E8A6-0B21-4D83-ACBA-95EC164BCBBB.jpeg

93978DBE-9AFE-4293-875E-4A5CD2F3DBFF.jpeg

FA4C1C6D-F9B7-40E5-A932-4BFDCC1C87FB.jpeg