Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gap Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got it from Alliant - mostly because they include with it payment of any insurance deductible as long as the car is on that loan. I didn't finance the whole car, so I'm pretty sure it'll never come into play otherwise.

Alliant financing sold me it for $399. From what I understand it literally only helps you if you wreck in first couple weeks. Not worth it imho.
I got it through Alliant as well, even though I didn't lease. I don't think your understanding is correct; it helps you as long as what you
owe on the car is greater than what the primary insurer is going to claim is its fair market value if it is totaled. Given how much the FMV
drops the moment you take ownership it is likely to be far longer than a couple of weeks before you pay off that drop, plus any further
depreciation that occurs while you own it. I went out of my way to buy GAP insurance expressly so I wouldn't be driving around in a
perpetual state of paranoia worrying that some idiot was going to hit me and give me a $20k haircut on my car.

• Informative
Reactions: number12
Like others have said unless you put 0 down or very low as down payment gap is not really needed. Alliant does give you some perks like pays you deductible of you ever get into a total crash for the life of the loan. So if you are going to finance for a long time it might be worth it because it does pay your deductible if you get into a total accident. But then again it is only if the other person doesn't have insurance and it is their fault or it is your fault.

There was another perk that I forgot. It has to do something with extra money for a new car or something like that.

But at the end of the day weigh the pros and cons. I plan to keep my car a very long time and I did put a lot down so it is not worth it to me. I rather save that money towards something else for the car.

... I did put a lot down so it is not worth it to me. I['d] rather save that money towards something else for the car.
There have been a couple of different discussions about the pros and cons of borrowing versus paying cash for a Tesla. I put the
minimum possible down -- which I've never done before -- just so that I could take advantage of GAP insurance. At 1.99% (let alone
1.49) I've got better uses for that money anyway.