TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Gap next to Dead Pedal?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by blues, Mar 29, 2013.

1. blues

blues Member

Was just wondering if this is normal. I have a 3/4" gap between the plastic and the carpeting next to the dead pedal and my foot keeps getting caught in it. I checked the passenger side and there is no gap between the plastic and the carpet.

2. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

Can you post a photo?
    Please?

3. blues

blues Member

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG Here are a couple images.

Attached Files:

4. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

Will have to look at my pedals and measure the thickness of my foot. :)

Mods: please advise why ... I've seen this bug before ... look at blues posts. Notice first one says: Posts: 4, the next one says Posts: 4; should that not be =>5?

5. blues

blues Member

It's probably not a bug. It's just updated with the posts you make. I bet after this post, all of my entries on this thread will say Post: 5

6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

When you add a new post your number updates and that shows for all your posts.

7. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

Not quite so ... as when I added my post, each of mine had a different number.
    Caching?

8. eelton

eelton Member

I'm not in my car now to look, but I've definitely noticed there's something there that my left foot gets caught on.

sent via Tapatalk

9. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Checked mine .... no such gap whatsoever ....

Id give it some firm pressure and make sure its snapped in properly ..... before going the service route..

10. gobagheera

gobagheera Member

I do not have that gap.

11. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

I have the same gap. There's still carpet behind it, but it's a bit annoying. I've had the panel off the fit the radar detector, so I know it's secured correctly.

12. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

Now that I read the replies and see the pic, I realize I don't have to check--I have a small gap and my shoe catches occasionally. It's a little annoying, since I tend to move around a little, shift my foot, etc. and it keeps happening. Hmmmmm. I will try Steve841's suggestion, then maybe ask the Service Center about it.

13. blues

blues Member

Seems to be a mixed bag, some people have it some don't. I'm taking mine to the Service Center on Monday because my tire pressure warning light keeps coming on even though all my tires are at the correct pressure. I'll have them take a look at this too.

14. fizzazle

fizzazle Member

You might have a nail! I hope you bought the tire insurance! If not...check out your tires real well over the weekend and if you see a nail...buy the tire insurance!

15. blues

blues Member

So the service center checked out the gap this morning. They said a couple pins were missing and that's why the gap was there. They added the missing pins, and no more toe getting caught when I get out of the car, so the people that have this gap, you're probably missing those same pins and if it annoys you enough you should take it into the service center. As for the tire pressure warning light, it just needed to be "retrained". No nail in my tire.

16. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Thanks....so you still have a gap (between the end of the panel, and the deadpedal), but you can no longer easily lift the side panel?

17. eelton

eelton Member

I don't have a gap, but the top end of the panel isn't anchored at all, so when my foot catches the edge, it flexes easily. Is that normal, or is it supposed to be anchored?

18. blues

blues Member

Yes.. there is still a small gap (maybe a cm or two), but I can't fit my finger in it any more, and my toe/foot definitely doesn't get caught in it anymore.

19. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

A gap of a cm or 2, but you can't fit your finger? How big is your finger!?!?!?

BTW: I have a gap...and a depression between the dead pedal and the wall. I've learned to live with it, but maybe a pin or two will reinforce it.

20. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

I'm just happy you're talking metric, I'm not good with fractional inches :)

I get what you mean, I think, there's a cm or 2 of carpet between the end of the panel and the dead pedal. I can't see how that could vary from car to car, unless they changed the side panel. I can still get my fingers under the panel easily, but I've had the thing off, so I know there's no pins missing.

It's only really annoying when I'm driving in shoes with 'sticky out' soles, or flip flops.