Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage and charging question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I will soon be moving in to our new home which has a garage under rather than attached. Now this might be my total paranoia but has anyone had concerns with charging an EV, essentially in their basement?

Hoping to jump on the Model E platform as soon as it ships or, should prices fall (wishful thinking) a gently use S. All I know is I'll never buy another ICE again...

Thanks ahead of time everyone.

No issues. Batteries are sealed (unlike lead-acid automotive batteries, which are not sealed). The charging process generates a very minute amount of heat. Consider it a bonus in winter. :)

My garage is directly below my bedroom (split level). I have no worries about charging every day. I even max it out at 40A when I charge.

I actually worry more about my 2.5 gallon can of gasoline for my mower than my charge cord.

My wife and I will soon be moving in to our new home which has a garage under rather than attached. Now this might be my total paranoia but has anyone had concerns with charging an EV, essentially in their basement?

Hoping to jump on the Model E platform as soon as it ships or, should prices fall (wishful thinking) a gently use S. All I know is I'll never buy another ICE again...

Thanks ahead of time everyone.

I have no concern charging the Tesla in my Garage. That said, I did install a detector as an extra layer of insurance. There is a thread on Smoke detectors.

I have no concern charging the Tesla in my Garage. That said, I did install a detector as an extra layer of insurance. There is a thread on Smoke detectors.

Same here. Also, if you only have one means of egress down stairs that are by your garage, then a collapsible ladder like a "First Alert Fire Escape Ladder" is a good idea. This is good advice even if a Tesla is not charging in your garage.

No more concern with that than for storage of gasoline in a car, or in a can for lawn mower, generator or leaf blower or whatever.

However, some of us are having severe troubles with the NEMA 14-50 charging adapter, which is being recalled/replaced; see other threads here. Because of that, I suggest the greatest caution in handling that object to assure that it never gets the slightest bit wet or contaminated with corrosives like rock salt or acidic liquids. If it does get wet, I suggest reaming the sockets out with Q-tips and drying it in a warm place (e.g. under a light bulb) to assure that it is completely dried before reusing it. It seems clear that the junction between it and the portable charging cable can develop high resistance, albeit for reasons that are not entirely clear to me, since I've not had any problem with that.

Just have your electrical setup inspected if you want for an extra piece of mind but certainly not more dangerous than having a gas powered car down there as others said. Good luck.