TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Garage Attached, but Not Accessable from House, Elec Panel in Laundry.. ??

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by jeffreyjames, Aug 19, 2014.

1. jeffreyjames

jeffreyjames Member

So I'm thinking about ordering the Model S.. My garage is attached to the house, but I can only access it from the large garage door from the exterior of house. My electric panel is in the laundry room, approximately 50 ft, from the garage..

Is this a big issue? If anyone knows, what would be the appropriate fix to make this work, what would it entail, and approximately how much would I expect to pay?

Thx!

2. swegman

swegman Member

Can an electrical line be run from the panel box in the laundry room into the attic, and from there to the garage and down into the garage? If yes, this is an easy install and should not be expensive.

3. jeffreyjames

jeffreyjames Member

Thx Sweg. Unfortunately, no we don't have an attic.

4. tga

tga Active Member

How about a basement or crawl space under?

It's difficult to answer these kinds of questions without seeing the house in question. Every house is different, and some are easier to fish wires than others. Your best bet would be to talk to an electrician.

5. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

I'd go to the TMC Community/North America/Florida forum and look for reports of other installs. If you don't see any, ask for references for electricians in your area. Then get a couple of quotes. Nothing is impossible and might not be vastly expensive.

6. jeffreyjames

jeffreyjames Member

Thanks guys.. yep, I'm in FL, so no basement, not even a crawl space.. CBS construction makes things difficult, but like said, hopefully not impossible.. Going to get an electrician out to give a look.

7. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

That's the best course of action. Under the right circumstances, conduit can be run... you may have to do a bit of drywall repair, but it's much easier than having a detached garage where code limits you in much greater ways.