Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage Battery Warmer.. Crazy but works!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can select from the main touch screen a specific time to start charging.

Is Dashboard not available for Apple users?
Sorry, I meant charging END time... much more useful for cold weather if you have a consistent schedule (even if you don't you just have to change the time). I don't believe Dashboard is on iOS... but there are much better looking iOS apps available. But because Apple restricts background activity, it is currently not possible for any iOS app to poll the time, car's location, SoC, and command charging at a dynamic time to complete at a set time (e.g. right before leaving for your daily commute - the car's built in start-time charging is not as useful since daily energy use will vary, as can your daily schedule).

Last edited:
Even in an ICE the acceptable way to deal with very cold temperatures is a small electric heating element placed in the coolant circuit. This heater can be on a timer to start up a few hours before departure. If it works to heat oil it should work to heat battery cells which are in the same antifreeze solution. I'm sure that Tesla can add the feature as all of the components (heater, fluid and pump) are already in the car. Someone just needs to ask.
Sounds like a poor, "dumb" solution. Heating the pack all night long with the equivalent of a "block" heater is going to waste energy. You're better off just pre-conditioning the battery 15-30 mins before you plan to leave, which will use less energy for the same result... the car has a much stronger battery heater built in than any garbage you'd plug into an outlet.

I've tried it all..You cant really control if the battery heater comes on or not.

Charging at 240v 32 amps right before I leave is by far the best way to go.. or charge up to 80% and then use the app to start again before I leave to get to 90%. If its 20 degrees or less, the battery cools off within minutes when finished charging. Its better to interrupt the charge and go then let it finish.

I have no idea what wattage the heated blanket is, its an old school one and it gets pretty hot! The blanket MUST be touching the battery case for it to work, at first I would raise the air suspension to high and then pull in over the raised blanket and then lower it down on top. Now I have it just right so I dont have to.

I am still waiting on my electric bill to see if this is worth it or not. Until then, why not!

Recommendations for winter-proofing your EV battery pack
300xNxsnow-driving.jpg.pagespeed.ic.T9TrVPZ29N.jpg

• Drive.
    Keeping the car moving during the winter, keeping the batteries charging and discharging, keeping the motor running, keeping the cabin heater heating...all these things contribute to keeping your batteries warm.
  • Charge.
    Charging warms up your batteries. Most of the time, with large battery banks well insulated and garaged, this is enough, because it does generate a good amount of heat! The trick is to not let the heat out, which leads to the next point...
  • Insulate.
    Cheap, easy-to-find styrofoam insulation (try the home improvement store) works just fine! Alternatively, there's that fluffy fiberglass batting you can use as a battery-blankie. I've heard of people using spray foam, and even (I thought this was cute) packing peanuts.
EV Battery Insulation: What You're Looking For

• Not flammable,
  • Doesn't give off toxic fumes if it gets acid spilled on it,
  • Flexible enough to fit in the spaces, and
  • High R value (measurement of how well it holds in heat).
  • Note: Don't neglect the ventilation. It's easy to tuck the batteries in so snugly that there's no place for the charging gases to go. Don't forget to leave them an exit!
  • Add heat.
    Some people use electric blankets to keep their batteries warm, others use heating pads or heat tape under the insulation. Generally, these are "plug in to the wall" arrangements, used overnight when the car isn't running; however, these come in 12-volt versions, too (check the marine supply shops) that you can run off your batteries using your DC/DC converter.
  • Garage.
    Not everyone has access to this, of course, but it helps a lot to keep your EV in a nice, insulated garage overnight.
One more thing about those expensive EV batteries: You don't want to overdo the heating thing. It reduces your range to let your batteries get chilly, but that doesn't hurt them (up to a point). It's just annoying. But even a little excessive heat? That'll reduce their cycle lives, and you'll wind up replacing them ahead of schedule.

Need some more help with cold-proofing your electric car?
REV Consulting Ltd. is a conversion shop in Ontario that works with EV owners to winter-proof their rides, and they do consulting on home conversion projects, too. If your other car is a dogsled, REV can help you keep your EV happy and healthy through the winter.

• Love
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Sounds like a poor, "dumb" solution. Heating the pack all night long with the equivalent of a "block" heater is going to waste energy. You're better off just pre-conditioning the battery 15-30 mins before you plan to leave, which will use less energy for the same result... the car has a much stronger battery heater built in than any garbage you'd plug into an outlet.
You missed my point. The car already has a big heater, fluid and pump installed so it's just a SW feature to turn this on an hour before departure while the car is plugged into shore power. This assumes heating the pack is important to you. I keep our Model S in an insulated garage and live with the reduced range during cold months.

The car already has a big heater, fluid and pump installed so it's just a SW feature to turn this on an hour before departure while the car is plugged into shore power.

Yes, it has all this stuff. AND it already has the software feature.... is the Climate button in the App. Flick it on, and all this stuff goes to work, called pre-conditioning. It will do this if BMS decides it's needed.

Maybe what we're really asking for is direct control of this, a button that says "pre-condition" ... and the car just does it on command, with less judgement of its own.