Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage door automatically closing after backing out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So at first I was backing into my garage, and when I would pull out I had to use the center screen to close the door. I pulled in a few times, and noticed that after I back out, it will automatically close the door, no action needed on my part other than pulling the car out of the garage. Why does this only work when backing out? How does it know when is the right time to close the door? If it was GPS based, wouldn't it work for both backing out, and pulling out?

The settings for automatically closing the door are separate for arriving and departing. Check to see which are selected. I'm worried that the car will automatically close the garage door before I've fully exited so, in my case, I have mine set to only open the garage, not to close it for me.

Reactions: EVCarGUy
It is set based on travel distance. The transceiver for Homelink is in the front of the car. It is possible that as you were pulling out previously it was always trying to close the door but your garage door wasn't receiving the signal based on it being behind you. But that's just a theory.