Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage Door Automation... Homelink or Google Home...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all!

I'm taking delivery of my new Model 3 in a couple of weeks, and I'm thinking about control of my garage doors and considering the homelink option. Looking at my roller doors, the control units are actually pretty old, and only one of them is remote controlled, so I'm going to replace the control units. While doing this, I have the option to add a homelink receiver and/or a home automation module to the controller which would allow one or both doors to be opened either by homelink RF signal, or by a wifi command from Google Home.

My thought is that doing both is kind of double dipping, and perhaps homelink is a bit old fashioned and could be superseded by the Google Home type route. I'm thinking that if I install one of these (or similar) then I could use a voice command or automation routine to open/close the garage door without having to keep a key fob in the car or on my person. To make this work smoothly, it would be best if I could trigger the voice command from the car easily, or perhaps use a button on the touchscreen to trigger the routine. I don't have a lot of experience with what the car can and can't do yet though.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of thing that could shed some light on the best way to approach it?

I have the Meross WIFI upgrade to my garage roller doors, but when using Google you have to input a PIN (for security) and that makes it tricky as it often gets it wrong. I ended up placing the remote button under the 15" display and manually hit it to open/close the door.
One big advantage of the Meross unit is that you can specify it to automatically to close after x mins. Useful when you forget to close the door when driving off in the morning!
I have tried the GPS enabled "My Home" in SmartThings, "Close when leaving my home" and "open when arriving my home" but when the phone is sleeping "My Home" is only polled every few minutes, so you often have a bit of a wait before anything happens...

I used to have a remote hardwired to a push button mounted in a spare switch hole in my Prius & Ioniq.
the M3 has no switches so I just use a spare remote that I keep in the cup holders.
One benefit is that when held up at the windscreen, it works from 100+ metres away.

I have the Meross WIFI upgrade to my garage roller doors, but when using Google you have to input a PIN (for security) and that makes it tricky as it often gets it wrong. I ended up placing the remote button under the 15" display and manually hit it to open/close the door.
One big advantage of the Meross unit is that you can specify it to automatically to close after x mins. Useful when you forget to close the door when driving off in the morning!
I have tried the GPS enabled "My Home" in SmartThings, "Close when leaving my home" and "open when arriving my home" but when the phone is sleeping "My Home" is only polled every few minutes, so you often have a bit of a wait before anything happens...

I also have the Meross garage door opener, connected to Google Home.

I've got Flic buttons around the house for lighting and a few other things so I've just stuck one of the buttons behind the bottom left of the screen so I can click it to open / close the garage door.

Unless I missed it the HomeLink module isn't pre-installed in the M3, Tesla took it out a couple of years ago. I had to pay about £500 to get it fitted in my M3 and then, unfortunately, had to get a slave controller to make my doors compatible for about another £80.

If you're re replacing the door controller anyway that bit isn't a deal breaker, but the extra £500 for the car module is something to think about when comparing to the Google Home option.

Unless I missed it the HomeLink module isn't pre-installed in the M3, Tesla took it out a couple of years ago. I had to pay about £500 to get it fitted in my M3 and then, unfortunately, had to get a slave controller to make my doors compatible for about another £80.

If you're re replacing the door controller anyway that bit isn't a deal breaker, but the extra £500 for the car module is something to think about when comparing to the Google Home option.
Whoops.

I forgot about that, mine was free.

rx multi garage door remote receiver average cost about $8.00 USD
You can use these in UR-mode or D-mode, learns the cars homelink transmitter not the garage door transmitter
or program the standard way by learning a garage door remote transmitter

D-Mode or UR-Mode: Use D-Mode or UR-Mode if the RF device does not have a remote control, and the receiver has a "Learn" button (may also be called "Program" or "Smart"). D-Mode and UR-Mode function similarly in that Model Y communicates directly with the device's receiver as opposed to the remote control. UR-mode Europe, D-mode USA

rx multi garage door remote receiver setup learning garage door transmitter

I used to have a remote hardwired to a push button mounted in a spare switch hole in my Prius & Ioniq.
the M3 has no switches so I just use a spare remote that I keep in the cup holders.
One benefit is that when held up at the windscreen, it works from 100+ metres away.
What kinda remote. I could really use a long range remote

I also have the Meross garage door opener, connected to Google Home.

I've got Flic buttons around the house for lighting and a few other things so I've just stuck one of the buttons behind the bottom left of the screen so I can click it to open / close the garage door.
How far off from home can you use the Flic button? I have a similar setup with Apple HomeKit and looking for a similar solution. Right now my method is a shortcut on my Apple Watch but I could really use a button for shortcuts.

What kinda remote. I could really use a long range remote
It’s a standard Hormann two button remote
The door opener is a Horman.

IMG_0295.jpeg
IMG_0294.jpeg

Reactions: Rosier