Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage Door Closed On Trunk Lip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1D8F5391-EA74-4829-8024-DF7E846F9B74.jpeg
Garage door closed on rear of car. There are no dents, but the paint chipped off the lip. Has anyone had any experience with a repair like this? Any guesses on a cost?

Sorry to see that ..why not put a spoiler over that it will probably cover ..otherwise I would think to blend it correctly they would need to spray most of ur trunk ~$1k

He's going to need to get that taken care of, or he'll encounter other issues, including corrosion. You should get a quote from a certified Tesla body shop; since this doesn't require parts, hopefully, it can be done relatively quickly. You may also want to consider rubberizing the bottom of your garage door - what happens once can happen again.

One other thing I realized, which I forgot to mention. Tesla is able to handle small paint related issues at their own service centers. They did some paint work on my car this past week. You should find out what Tesla will charge you a well.

He's going to need to get that taken care of, or he'll encounter other issues, including corrosion. You should get a quote from a certified Tesla body shop; since this doesn't require parts, hopefully, it can be done relatively quickly. You may also want to consider rubberizing the bottom of your garage door - what happens once can happen again.
I’m actually thinking of just taking the garage door off and knocking down the walls. All joking aside, I’m definitely going to rubberize the bottom of the door.

I’m actually thinking of just taking the garage door off and knocking down the walls. All joking aside, I’m definitely going to rubberize the bottom of the door.

Don't laugh, I actually took our garage down entirely. I still have a lift-gate, but I now park on a concrete slab which I'm going to eventually tear out and replace with pavers. Most of the day I'm at the office, so I can keep the car shielded from sun. There is some concern about sun-related damage to the dashboard (bubbling) and seats, so I am going to deal with this issue.

One other thing I realized, which I forgot to mention. Tesla is able to handle small paint related issues at their own service centers. They did some paint work on my car this past week. You should find out what Tesla will charge you a well.
Thanks for the tip, I will definitely talk to them about it. I have to take it in to get the weather stripping replaced as there were kinks in it when delivered.

Don't laugh, I actually took our garage down entirely. I still have a lift-gate, but I now park on a concrete slab which I'm going to eventually tear out and replace with pavers. Most of the day I'm at the office, so I can keep the car shielded from sun. There is some concern about sun-related damage to the dashboard (bubbling) and seats, so I am going to deal with this issue.
I like your thinking! At this rate, I’d still find a way to damage my car on something even with nothing around.

That's my nightmare. Mine BARELY fits inside my garage, and I have to watch it oh so carefully every time. Still just about gives me a heart attack.

Rubberizing the bottom is a good idea. I'm going to fix the problem long term by shortening the workbench that the previous owner installed in the back part of the garage, so I just plain have more room. Ideally, I'd like to make enough room so that Summon could park it at minimum clearance. We'll see how that goes.

Ouch that hurts, especially seeing you still have paper plates. Don't know where you are located but there is a Tesla Body Shop in south San Jose area. My husband had some paint work done there at the beginning of the year and was happy with the work. Good luck.

View attachment 408204 Garage door closed on rear of car. There are no dents, but the paint chipped off the lip. Has anyone had any experience with a repair like this? Any guesses on a cost?

Ouch! So sorry that happened to you. Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago while I was detailing my car. The garage door automatically closed on me, so I disabled the feature. Make sure you do the same if that was the case for you.

That's my nightmare. Mine BARELY fits inside my garage, and I have to watch it oh so carefully every time. Still just about gives me a heart attack.

Rubberizing the bottom is a good idea. I'm going to fix the problem long term by shortening the workbench that the previous owner installed in the back part of the garage, so I just plain have more room. Ideally, I'd like to make enough room so that Summon could park it at minimum clearance. We'll see how that goes.

Same but it's when I park outside. I have a old wooden garage door that opens closes as a whole.

I have also had actual dreams where I am in my non Tesla car and forget and assume I have AP on and bump into something.

Ouch! So sorry that happened to you. Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago while I was detailing my car. The garage door automatically closed on me, so I disabled the feature. Make sure you do the same if that was the case for you.
Yep. First thing after cursing up a storm was pulling up homelink and deleting the current garage profile. I will now use only the unsightly remote.

Ouch that hurts, especially seeing you still have paper plates. Don't know where you are located but there is a Tesla Body Shop in south San Jose area. My husband had some paint work done there at the beginning of the year and was happy with the work. Good luck.
I sent in an email and called the Pomona location, but no one seems to be available. I actually just got back from an appointment at Service King. They’re estimating >$1,000. Now I’m trying to decide if it’s worth getting insurance involved.

Yep. First thing after cursing up a storm was pulling up homelink and deleting the current garage profile. I will now use only the unsightly remote.

You can just disable automatic close; Don’t have to get rid of homelink entirely.

But then I also understand after having that happen to your nice new car how you’d want to be extra cautious. Just hate to see you throw out the baby with the bath water, as the auto-open feature is pretty great.

I've had enough close calls to realize I don't want automation with my garage door. HomeLink also doesn't work perfectly in my case, so I just left it disabled and keep the clicker around.

You can just disable automatic close; Don’t have to get rid of homelink entirely.

But then I also understand after having that happen to your nice new car how you’d want to be extra cautious. Just hate to see you throw out the baby with the bath water, as the auto-open feature is pretty great.
I unchecked the box for automatic close and then deleted the whole profile for good measure. Perhaps an overreaction. I will probably re-enable the auto open feature in future but right now the sounds still haunt my dreams.

Reactions: Scott7