Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage door cracks roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys,
For whatever reason this morning, my Model 3 sent an open/close code to my garage door as I was pulling in. The door came down on the very top[ of the windshield where the windshield and glass top meet. The windshield is ok but I have some cracks in the glass top for about the 1st 6 inches. Has anyone had any experience replacing this glass top? I'm in Michigan where the new service center is not quite open. The only work I've had done is when Mobile Service installed the garage door opener. The car is 1 year old with about 8000 miles on it.

Guys,
For whatever reason this morning, my Model 3 sent an open/close code to my garage door as I was pulling in. The door came down on the very top[ of the windshield where the windshield and glass top meet. The windshield is ok but I have some cracks in the glass top for about the 1st 6 inches. Has anyone had any experience replacing this glass top? I'm in Michigan where the new service center is not quite open. The only work I've had done is when Mobile Service installed the garage door opener. The car is 1 year old with about 8000 miles on it.

1) you'll need to use your comprehensive insurance to repair this. We are talking about several thousands of dollars. It's a big piece of glass. Doubt any local shop can do it unfortunately.... Or wait til they open a Tesla service center in MI.

2) if you want to fight Tesla to pay, hire a lawyer.

3) like others have said, your garage door should have optical sensors on the sides to know when a car or a person or a dog is walking past. I'm not sure about garage door has any sensing function to autostop when it feels resistance. Not as smart as a cars window.

3) like others have said, your garage door should have optical sensors on the sides to know when a car or a person or a dog is walking past. I'm not sure about garage door has any sensing function to autostop when it feels resistance. Not as smart as a cars window.

Every garage door opener sold in the USA since 1982 is required to have an auto-reverse function. Usually it's not calibrated correctly. Hence the suggestion that you have someone come calibrate your door before it hurts a person/living being.

Either way, I don't trust it. One day, I hit the garage door closer. My dog was standing in the garage door's path, straddling the optical beam. I ran and pulled him out of the way. No way do I trust any garage door to not injure a person. They're just too strong.

ps: the standard test for anti reverse is 2x4's. Umn.... a 2x4 can take a lot more pressure than a child or pet.

Last edited:
Guys,

The service center in Clarkston is open.

• Helpful
Reactions: Matsayz
I actually installed the optical sensors on an angle. One side is higher than the other so it prevents the door from closing and reverses if the car bumper is in the way.

Most sensors get installed too low where something as high as a car bumper doesn't block the sensors.

Very clever. The car entering or exiting wouldn't activate the sensor except when the wheels passed which leaves time enough for a cluster.

Thank you

The setting for closing when you leave is subject to activation at inconsistent locations, in my experience. I no longer use it because of this. It doesn't know the state of your garage door, and if you move the car in or out a little it may activate when you don't want it to. Main problem is that it is not activated by the perimeter of the "home" geofence. It is activated when it thinks you want to leave, from well inside the geofence perimeter.

I only use the auto open feature for when I arrive home. It triggers far enough from the house as we enter the geofence perimeter. No issues with it activating while in or near the garage.

Reactions: RobRain
You can always install a 2nd set of sensors that are higher so they get interrupted by the bumper or sides of the car (by default they are usually too low an only the tires would set them off). It's easy, just buy a 2nd set and piggyback them off of the current set. Or just move your current ones up higher if you don't have kids or pets.

• Helpful
Reactions: fseir
Guys,
Top glass portion is $1200, plus waiting for a appointment, I’ve got to the last of July before mines fixed...Insurance should cover the costs less your glass break deductible...

Reactions: Matsayz
I actually installed the optical sensors on an angel.
Emily Litella: "Angel? How in the hell is that angel going to be everywhere at the same time?. Granted, there should be one on your shoulder at all times giving you heavenly advice but it can't be looking over your garage every single second of the day! And are those optical sensors going to be on an angel that's also dancing on the head of a pin? There's no room for that!!!"
Chevy Chase: "Ms. Litella?? Ms. Litella?? I'm sure that the poster meant 'angle'. As in, 'not straight but at an angle'".
Emily: "Angle? Not angel?"
Chevy: "That's right."
Emily: "OOhhhh... that's quite different. <pause> Never mind."

Last edited:
Sorry for your experience, OP. There are others that have posted similar horror stories, and photos of damaged roofs, so you’re not alone.

I almost had this happen shortly after getting my model 3 back in 2018. I was able to hit the opener to reverse the door in time, as the optical sensor was too low to see my car. Because of this experience, I disabled the auto open and close, which is a shame, because it’s such a nice convenience feature in principle.

Maybe I’ll give the piggybacked optical sensor a try.