Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage door opener alternatives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Myq does not "automatically" open and close the garage door for you. You need to go to the phone app and use your finger to touch your phone screen in order to open then again to close. If you don't do anything, the current status will be permanently prolonged (either open or close).

Current Chamberlain garage door openers (no need to buy add-on Myq) can automatically open and close but as a timeout feature, not a proximity feature. It will automatically close if you forgot to close. You have to manually disable the automation if you don't like it.

I have a MyQ, the feature was there at one point. Maybe it was removed during the changeover. Looks like people are doing it with SimpleCommands now.

Plan B: Since you already have a Pi (assuming you like to tinker), turn it into a HomeBridge device and integrate with Apple HomeKit and run geofenced-based automations. If not an Apple user, you can use Home Assistant - both which have MyQ Plugins. I use both HomeBridge and Home Assistant as features are sometimes better on one platform vs the other.

...automatic...

Tailwind says it opens and closes the door automatically for android for $59.99 (full kit for 1 door including the $19.99 door kit, you can add additional 2 $19.99 door kits to work for all 3 doors). I think if you have iPhone, you'll pay more for the Bluetooth transmitter for an additional $19.99 or $69.99 combo. I guess it senses Bluetooth either from your Android phone or the extra transmitter to open (if you have iPhone or you don't want to carry your android phone around in your car) and close automatically depending on the proximity of your car.

1638314946276.png

Last edited:
I have the Aladdin kit by Genie and love it. I believe it only works with Genie systems, but it’s the best I’ve used by far. I think the MyQ is compatible with Amazon’s in-garage-delivery feature where the Aladdin is not, so that’s a plus for MyQ if you’d like it.

Myq does not "automatically" open and close the garage door for you. You need to go to the phone app and use your finger to touch your phone screen in order to open then again to close. If you don't do anything, the current status will be permanently prolonged (either open or close).

This is true as the native app isn't car friendly. If you have CarPlay the door icon will automatically pop up when close to your house but you still have to press it or tell Siri through voice control. Since I don't have a Tesla yet I'm not clear if you can use Siri through bluetooth in these cars to perform such a task but I assume without a CarPlay connection it may not work.

Tailwind says it opens and closes the door automatically for android for $59.99 (full kit for 1 door including the $19.99 door kit, you can add additional 2 $19.99 door kits to work for all 3 doors). I think if you have iPhone, you'll pay more for the Bluetooth transmitter for an additional $19.99 or $69.99 combo. I guess it senses Bluetooth either from your Android phone or the extra transmitter to open (if you have iPhone or you don't want to carry your android phone around in your car) and close automatically depending on the proximity of your car.
Just to clarify Tailwind operation, it requires a phone (iOS or Android) running the Tailwind app in order to automatically open and close garage. It uses location services (GPS and/or cell tower) of the phone to determine distance from home location to activate auto open/close which is adjustable in app. When configuring in the app, you pick a bluetooth device that phone is connected to for Tailwind app to auto open/close door. This is intended as an additional security measure so that if phone is taken it won't automatically open the door (unless they steal bluetooth device at same time). For some reason iOS does not allow the status of bluetooth connection to the in car head unit to be used which requires the use of iQ tailwind sensor (just dummy bluetooth device). iQ tailwind sensor can be used for android if you don't want to connect to in car bluetooth (or don't have). Note service only works when both phone and Tailwind controller have internet connection. I've had a few occaisions where my home wifi was down so auto open would not work. Otherwise I have been happy with the service so far.

Reactions: WyomingEV
I use Apple Homekit and a $50 Best Buy Insignia wifi module connected to my garage door opener. I can open/close based on proximity, use Siri , press button on my phone or use my original remote control! I can also open/close garage door when I am away (to let someone in for example). For $50 it made the homelink at $300 a no go!

After going through all this, I just ordered my own Tailwind :) plus one extra vehicle puck. The lack of a built in opener is ridiculous and a bone of contention for my SO.. its worth the money to keep her happy :)

These work great. They also have non HomeKit versions. We use three of them for the gate and garage doors. Nothing automatic, but could be done I’m sure with geofencing

meross Smart Garage Door Opener Remote, Compatible with Apple HomeKit, Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, SmartThings, Multiple Notification Modes, No Hub Needed Amazon.com

I bought the cheapest HomeKit enabled smart garage door opener on Amazon and it works a treat. Has been perfectly reliable over the three months I’ve had it, geofenced opening and closing works great plus I can open and close via the Apple Watch if I’m on foot and need access via that door for reasons other than arriving/leaving the property. Plus notifications whenever the door opens or closes and the ability to remotely confirm the door’s open/close status or give access to the property to others if required.

For the price I pretty much assumed it would be junk but I’ve been very impressed. Just make sure to invest the time in cable management so the install doesn’t look janky.

I bought the cheapest HomeKit enabled smart garage door opener on Amazon and it works a treat. Has been perfectly reliable over the three months I’ve had it, geofenced opening and closing works great plus I can open and close via the Apple Watch if I’m on foot and need access via that door for reasons other than arriving/leaving the property. Plus notifications whenever the door opens or closes and the ability to remotely confirm the door’s open/close status or give access to the property to others if required.

For the price I pretty much assumed it would be junk but I’ve been very impressed. Just make sure to invest the time in cable management so the install doesn’t look janky.
Which one did you purchase?

Reactions: MaskedRacerX
These work great. They also have non HomeKit versions. We use three of them for the gate and garage doors. Nothing automatic, but could be done I’m sure with geofencing

meross Smart Garage Door Opener Remote, Compatible with Apple HomeKit, Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, SmartThings, Multiple Notification Modes, No Hub Needed Amazon.com

I think I'm going to score one of those next time there's a price drop (it's been ~$35 a few times). We have other Meross products and they work terrific, and integrate perfectly with HomeKit (I had some Halloween lights on a slick automation).

Apparently we've got the yellow button which requires an extra component, but I don't think it's expensive.

I had built my own wifi enabled opener but the cheap-a** board lasted 6 months and died. Not to mention the docs were marginal and took some trial and error. The biggest issue was "inch mode".. where you want the door to go part way up then stop it. I'm hoping the Tailwind is more refined than my DIY version.. seems to be according to the web site. Mine never did have geo location work well.. but it was fun to build it

If you want garage door automation from your Tesla Model 3 order, you need to buy Premium Interior which is available currently for Long Range and up (not for Standard Range Plus and down.)
Not exactly sure what this means. Are you saying the M3 LR AWD has the capability to open garage doors? I have a M3 SR+ but have a M3 LR AWD on order and am interested to know. Would I need to buy the HomeLink for the LR?
Appreciate any help on this.

Not exactly sure what this means. Are you saying the M3 LR AWD has the capability to open garage doors? I have a M3 SR+ but have a M3 LR AWD on order and am interested to know. Would I need to buy the HomeLink for the LR?

You are replying to a post from well over 2 years ago.

Today all model 3s ship from the factory without homelink but it's available as a post-delivery option for $300 regardless of the interior trim.

• Funny
Reactions: GeoG

No. The menu and the price used to have the word "Premium". I got it in 2018 as it came built-in off from the assembly line with no other actions, buying, installation needed. Now that word is not there so it's no longer applicable.

Now all cheap and expensive 3 and Y don't come with built-in Homelink anymore. It's add-ons after coming off from the assembly line.

If you want a built-in Homelink that comes off from the assembly line, you need an S or X.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeoG
No. The menu and the price used to have the word "Premium". I got it in 2018 as it came built-in off from the assembly line with no other actions, buying, installation needed. Now that word is not there so it's no longer applicable.

Now all cheap and expensive 3 and Y don't come with built-in Homelink anymore. It's add-ons after coming off from the assembly line.

If you want a built-in Homelink that comes off from the assembly line, you need an S or X.
Thank you.