Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage door opener alternatives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thx. Looks really cool. will try free version and then upgrade.

this might just replace my waze browser as 1st pop up. Does this/browser allow bookmarks?
Disclosure: My vehicle has homelink. I have not subscribed to eve for tesla, but did create a free login. I work for Chamberlain on the myQ team.

You can add bookmarks to the Tesla browser. There are 2 star symbols on the top right of the browser. One displays saved favorites, and the other allows saving the current page as a favorite. TeslaWaze, abetterrouteplanner and your web email might also be good bookmarks.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Or the manual opener... out of site, not attached to the visor and not hiding in the console... just neat and accessible on the rear of the display held on with Velcro to enable battery swaps ever year...

Door Opener.jpg

Nexxt Garage door opener, I've been using this for about 2yrs now...works with wifi, has geofencing so it will open and close you're garage once you're car approaches you're driveway, similarly to how Tesla garage door does it. Has a phone app too so you can open garage door from anywhere. I use it with an old Genie screwdrive opener, installed it myself in less than 30min.

https://www.amazon.com/Garage-NXG-1...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

The cheapest best smart home integration with myQ I have found is if you have an iPhone you can set up a shortcut in the shortcuts app (there are shortcut scripts for MyQ you can import so you don’t have to code) so now I can just tell Siri “open garage” when I come home or ”close garage” when I leave.

Seems that the best/cheapest alternative to the $300 Home Link is the remote that came with the garage door opener; clip it to the sun visor and press the button as you approach or leave the garage. Of course, it doesn't have the proximity sensor.

20 years of owning all sorts of different Mercedes, I drop 85K on a Tesla and NO GARAGE OPENER. Sometimes I think Mercedes does love its customers.

Just the opposite.

Mercedes forces its customers to pay for a garage door opener if they want it or not.

Tesla gives you the choice- if you DO want one, you can get one for money. If you don't, you get to keep your money.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mercedes fan
Even a $20k Hyundai has the Homelink buttons on the review mirror.
Those homelink garage rear view ones suck. They don't work reliably with my home genie dumb garage nor does it work reliably with a lift master with a homelink accessory. My Tesla homelink $300 works perfectly. It's a dumb deletion from Tesla but I'm more willing to include it during purchase if it "rolls" into that fat price tag.

I had the clicker remote for 3 mo and I said to hell with it, dropped the $300 and had it installed

I pulled off the metal clip and used Velcro-like 3M Command Strips (designed for hanging posters or pictures) to attach my garage door opener remote to the back of the touch screen. It is not visible but easily reached behind the bottom left corner of the touch screen.

Doesn’t provide location aware, automatic functionality. It is a clean look and doesn’t dent the sun visor with a metal clip.

20 years of owning all sorts of different Mercedes, I drop 85K on a Tesla and NO GARAGE OPENER. Sometimes I think Mercedes does love its customers.

MB may have a garage opener included, but the C300 has these as additional charge:

Heated front seats
Surround Sound System upgrade
Navigation map updates
Active Cruise Control
Active steering assist
Evasive steering assist
Active Brake Assist

How much does MB love its customers?

[Apologies if this has been covered before. I searched and couldn't find anything....]

Has anyone experimented with - or thought about - creating a homegrown automatic garage door opener?

At first I thought I could have a little program looking for the Tesla to show up on the network - then wire the garage door opener into a Raspberry Pi to close the connection and open the door.

But in my Googling I learned of iBeacon. So now I wonder if one could put a Pi with a LE Bluetooth dongle in it to listen for the cars iBeacon broadcast - and then open based on that event.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Jim

The MyQ is under $20 and works with your cellphone and existing garage door opener, and has proximity detection - also the entire family has access if you want. Depends on what you feel your time is worth in the end:

Wow. That's amazing. I had no idea this product existed.

Will the MyQ open the door on proximity detection? I read it will close it automatically when you leave (geofencing) but I haven't found confirmation it can open it.

I did find there's an IFTTT integration.....so maybe use that to detect GPS coordinates and open when the phone is in close proximity to the door?

Thanks!

Wow. That's amazing. I had no idea this product existed.

Will the MyQ open the door on proximity detection? I read it will close it automatically when you leave (geofencing) but I haven't found confirmation it can open it.

I did find there's an IFTTT integration.....so maybe use that to detect GPS coordinates and open when the phone is in close proximity to the door?

Thanks!

MyQ has geofencing and should both open/close (its listed on the Chamberlain site).

Reactions: Haselsmasher
...automatically...
Myq does not "automatically" open and close the garage door for you. You need to go to the phone app and use your finger to touch your phone screen in order to open then again to close. If you don't do anything, the current status will be permanently prolonged (either open or close).

Current Chamberlain garage door openers (no need to buy add-on Myq) can automatically open and close but as a timeout feature, not a proximity feature. It will automatically close if you forgot to close. You have to manually disable the automation if you don't like it.