Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage Door Opener Options - pros and cons of various solutions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For obvious reasons I am looking for garage door opener solutions for my Tesla 3.
I guess I have the following basic options:
1.) get the Tesla $300 retrofit
2.) Use my opener remote
3.) Use a bluetooth based solution
4.) Use a Wifi solution

At first I thought I like the idea of using the phone for opening and closing the door. But I don't like the idea to unlock the phone find app and so on. Then I thought I could use Siri but learned that Siri opens only with unlocked phone.

Some solutions work with proximity detection. Would love to learn more whether it works (also with locked phone). I believe this is only possible with WiFi solutions? I thought it would be cool to open automatically based on car Bluetooth detection. In any case, I am not sure that I woudl feel comfortable with auto-close. So, unlocking the phone still would be an issue for me for closing.

I can use a door remote, but I am not a big fan of it for security reasons. However, I did not find a good spot yet to semi-hide it or custom wire a button.

Did I overlook something?

I love the built-in Homelink with proximity detection. It's never closed on the car, and when it occasionally doesn't work (usually due to a partially open car door or similar), I realize how much I depend on it.

It also makes me feel important when the door automagically opens on arrival. :)

I've used a phone based system in the past, and it was endlessly annoying.

I agree with above. For such a small thing, I still fill pleasure each time I drive home, the car chimes and my garage door opens. I also use the auto close feature. Rarely, it doesn’t close when it should and then I have to press the homelink button. First world problems.

Reactions: APotatoGod
How does Tesla open work when garage is open?
My current opener simply woudl toggle. With other words if door is open and I click button it woudl close. Since I do it manually I can control accident. i.e. lift-gate of other car open
It sends a toggle command. Yes, it will close (based on personal experience, I'm not sure if some newer openers will actually support the open/close command in homelink - my opener is pretty new).

Sounds like my choices are either the Tesla charger or to install a stealth remote. I have done that in the past for an import car using a regular remote and wire a button to it. Granted in the Tesla woudl be a bit more difficult to wire. Actually, my best option might be in the phone charger area. Could even wire up to 5v USB for permanent installation.

I can use a door remote, but I am not a big fan of it for security reasons. However, I did not find a good spot yet to semi-hide it or custom wire a button.

Did I overlook something?

I put the remote in the drivers side door pocket using its clip. I can’t see it so I put an adhesive felt button on top of the correct Remote button. Then I can reach down, feel the felt button, push it, and control the garage door.

My garage door opener is glitchy and won’t work with my Tesla Homelink. When voice commands in the Tesla work with Homelink, I’ll start looking for a better garage door opener.

• Informative
I'm fairly invested in Alexa and have therefore set up Echo Auto in my M3. Given that, it was a simple matter to get an extra $28 TPlink wifi switch module and wire it up in parallel to the garage opener switch. Now I just say "Alexa, garage" and it opens or closes. Total cost less than $40.

Use double sided tape / velcro to attach traditional garage door opener to driver door cubby. It's practically invisible and easily accessible as driver.

PmDl09q.jpg

Spend $300 and stop overthinking it. It’s stupid it was removed but it’s worth the money. I was using a clicker and annoyed every time I have to use it. I also have a smart garage door opener. Using an app sucks. Pay the $300 and be done with it.

Absolutely this. Forget about WiFi/Bluetooth/IOT solutions. HomeLink doesn't require an Internet connection or any interaction with a device. There's no lag and once you figure out the right distance to have it fire off, you don't even have to wait for your door to open.

I agree with above. For such a small thing, I still fill pleasure each time I drive home, the car chimes and my garage door opens. I also use the auto close feature. Rarely, it doesn’t close when it should and then I have to press the homelink button. First world problems.

I bet sometimes you're reversing after you park to adjust your position in your garage. When you do that, HomeLink won't auto-close the next time you leave. Make an effort to just come to a stop and HomeLink will auto-close every single time.

Homelink Question

• Informative
I just attached mine to the lower backside of the screen with velcro. Completely out of the way of anything, not noticeable, and easy to reach to open and close while sitting in the driver seat.

GLM

That’s what I did too. $5 on Amazon for another garage door remote that I double sided taped to the back of the screen on the bottom.

No need for velcro for me because for $5, it’s dedicated to my Tesla.

Personally if i had to buy a new M3 I'd spring for the 300$ homelink again. I got it for free, but it's just so much more convenient than anything remote-oriented. My car has been in the body shop for a month, and I've been using the old remote with the various rentals i've had, and while it works, it sucks having to find it, press it, press it again because it didn't work, etc. The homelink just always works. The only issues I've had with it are when my wife or daughter already have the door open when I drive up, and it closes instead of opening - minor first world problem!