Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage Door Opener Options - pros and cons of various solutions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tailwind garage door opener. Automatically Opens as you drive up, closes as you drive away; no hands, no voice commands, no unlocking your phone.

I have it and it works absolutely great. Has "geo fencing" built in (no ifttt or tasker trauma), notifications and timed auto-close if you enable. No monthly fees. Also its tied to your "car and phone together", if you lose your phone it won't open. Also works with Google home. Alexis, iftt etc

Tailwind iQ3 Smart Automatic Garage Door Controller

Android phones work natively; Apple IOS but you have to buy a $20 "vehicle sensor".

kevin

I realize that some things are fun, but $300 to avoid having to push a button—I couldn't do that.

I owned a home in which I had to get out of the car and manually open the garage door. I could see $300 to avoid that.

Its an annoyance and for me having it annoy me multiple times a day was not worth it. We all have value on certain things, some more than others. Spending a month clicking that stupid garage door opener was killing me so I spent the money. Problem solved. I specifically go out of my way to get rid of the annoyances in my life and feel better about doing so. Some cost money and some are free.

Tailwind garage door opener. Automatically Opens as you drive up, closes as you drive away; no hands, no voice commands, no unlocking your phone.

I have it and it works absolutely great. Has "geo fencing" built in (no ifttt or tasker trauma), notifications and timed auto-close if you enable. No monthly fees. Also its tied to your "car and phone together", if you lose your phone it won't open. Also works with Google home. Alexis, iftt etc

Android phones work natively; Apple IOS but you have to buy a $20 "vehicle sensor".

kevin

I got this too. Highly recommend.

Reactions: Thp3
Its an annoyance and for me having it annoy me multiple times a day was not worth it. We all have value on certain things, some more than others. Spending a month clicking that stupid garage door opener was killing me so I spent the money. Problem solved. I specifically go out of my way to get rid of the annoyances in my life and feel better about doing so. Some cost money and some are free.

I am thinking you're not the kind of guy that is going to upgrade your Tesla with a manual clutch and shifter...

• Funny
Reactions: Transformer
I'm using the Chamberlain "My Q" opener with an app on my android, I've had it for about six months now and I've had great luck with it. Maybe once or twice in those six months, it decided to go offline for some reason and wouldn't work but a minute later started working again. I'd recommend for the price, it was like $70 bucks on amazon and works with pretty much any opener, really easy to setup.

There are times that I wish I could just hit something on my screen without taking my phone out of my pocket but there are many more times that I've been standing outside and wanted to open the garage door then I remember "oh right, I have an opener in my pocket".

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
I'm using the Chamberlain "My Q" opener with an app on my android, I've had it for about six months now and I've had great luck with it. Maybe once or twice in those six months, it decided to go offline for some reason and wouldn't work but a minute later started working again. I'd recommend for the price, it was like $70 bucks on amazon and works with pretty much any opener, really easy to setup.

There are times that I wish I could just hit something on my screen without taking my phone out of my pocket but there are many more times that I've been standing outside and wanted to open the garage door then I remember "oh right, I have an opener in my pocket".

I also have chamberlain. Unlock phone, open folder, open app, face recognition, wait for app to load, click button. It takes about 15 seconds to do and by that time im already at my driveway when I turn on my street. Im also taking my eyes off the road while doing that and we have kids in the neighborhood. With homelink I just drive up and it magically opens. I dont have to press a thing. Some days I leave and come back once, and others its 2-3 times. It adds up for me. I paid $50k for my car I can spend $300 to make my life a little easier.

I find it funny Homelink is so strongly opinionated by people. But Tesla owners will drop thousands on ceramic and ppf.

+1

I figured I would open/close the garage door approximately 1.3 million times in the life of the car so it was only $2.307e-4 per use.

I realize that some things are fun, but $300 to avoid having to push a button—I couldn't do that.

Mine was an early enough build that HomeLink was included. I didn't know I needed or wanted it and almost didn't even program the car to use it. Now, I'd absolutely pay for it if I didn't already have it. I'm not so lazy that I can't press a remote button--I still do it with our other cars. The best part is not having to deal with the remote itself. The ones we have go through batteries relatively quickly (couple times per year), always seem to die at the wrong time, and are a pain to change.

I also have chamberlain. Unlock phone, open folder, open app, face recognition, wait for app to load, click button. It takes about 15 seconds to do and by that time im already at my driveway when I turn on my street. Im also taking my eyes off the road while doing that and we have kids in the neighborhood. With homelink I just drive up and it magically opens. I dont have to press a thing. Some days I leave and come back once, and others its 2-3 times. It adds up for me. I paid $50k for my car I can spend $300 to make my life a little easier.

I find it funny Homelink is so strongly opinionated by people. But Tesla owners will drop thousands on ceramic and ppf.

I don't unlock my phone I have my model 3 set as a trusted device so the phone is unlocked already. Then I have ifttt so personally I say open the garage or close the garage because I don't always park in it but you can also set it to open when you drive up or drive away based on gps.

I have a Chamberlain MyQ opener add on. It was $19 on Amazon. Would I like the homelink... Sure... I will buy it when the module price comes down on eBay. Its way overpriced.

Also I think ppf is a rip off at current prices. Some people are paying the cost of painting the car.

Last edited:
No regrets paying the $300 for the retrofit. I wish it would have just been included in the car and they charged $300 more for the car, so I didn't have to go through the hassle of the appointment and waiting for it, but now that it's in I have zero regrets. Never once had an issue with it. (although I also had a brand new garage door opener installed a few months before I bought the Tesla, so my whole setup is top of the line)

kevin
Thank you Bondo. I was looking for a solution like this.

Reactions: bondo and Thp3
+1

I figured I would open/close the garage door approximately 1.3 million times in the life of the car so it was only $2.307e-4 per use.
Wow. Let's see... 4 times a day, 350 days/yr, 10 years that is only 14,000 times. So you plan on opening the door 100X of that calculation... that's a lot. Like 40 times a day for 100 years... Like Luke would say "That's impressive..."

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
Thank you Bondo. I was looking for a solution like this.

I also use Tailwind and it is great and very reasonably priced. Very easy to install and setup. And I can use it for multiple cars, garage doors, etc. with the same system and app. The only issue so far is that it is internet based. If your internet is down, or if their servers are down, then the system won't work. This is indeed a rare occurrence. However, they are working on a bluetooth override system that allows you to control the system with bluetooth only as a failover (no internet needed).

Reactions: bondo