TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Garage door opener (Tesla Model 3)

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by RealDeael, Jun 22, 2018.

1. RealDeael

RealDeael Member

Hi, Everyone.
    I am trying to play around with a distance when garage door starts to open up automatically.
    Changed from 15m - to 6m and didn't see much difference.

The door starts to lift only when the car is 3 meters away.

Did I do something wrong or it's the way it supposed to be?

Thanks!

2. guri

guri Member

It all depends on how many GPS satellites your car has locked on to at the time and interference in the area. I found setting mine to 24m works best, opens & closes as I'm at the bottom of my driveway

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. RealDeael

RealDeael Member

So, if set up 24m, and you approach your garage, how many meters away your door starts to lift up?

4. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

Some openers have very limited distance with the door closed, especially a metal door. I had to set mine to trigger when I was within 8 feet of the garage. The car's tx is in the front so having the front pointed toward the door works best.

5. RealDeael

RealDeael Member

Thanks, man. I also set it up for 24m. Works for me too. I appreciate it.

6. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

You may want to change your GPS position.

7. RealDeael

RealDeael Member

#7 RealDeael, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    How? By selling my house? :)

• Funny x 2
  8. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

It’s in the home link settings, you can reset the position associated with the opener.

I had trouble with the auto open and close when I first got my Model 3. I eventually found a GPS position and distance that worked most of the time. However I ran into a few times where the garage door would almost close while my car was driving in and out of the garage since it’s the same signal for both opening and closing. So since I couldn’t rely on the garage door not accidentally smacking into my Model 3 I turned the auto open setting off.

9. eprosenx

eprosenx Member

So I don’t have my M3 yet, but am I just crazy to think that this feature will be dangerous?

Seriously, a door even going up unexpectedly could be dangerous to kids of objects, much less going down...

I feel like actuating a door like that should require positive human input.

10. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

Make sure you program your door opener from outside the garage.
    I saw the same the thing as you, but when I redid it outside the range worked as expected.

• Like x 1
  11. animorph

animorph Active Member

You should have the option of manually activating Homelink from your car. It even drops down the button for it from the Homelink tab on the X. Not sure how that translates for the 3.

It also drops down and gives you a distance countdown before it opens automatically (and lets you hit a Skip button). I can watch that and make sure I'm not opening the community guard gate for the car in front of me. I used to have to hit the Skip button when exiting, but careful adjustment of the trigger location and distance setting eliminated that problem.

Plenty of options.

12. RealDeael

RealDeael Member

I went to my Model 3 and checked out Home Link settings. I don't see the option to change a GPS position or you meant something else?

13. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

I think it’s reset location.

• Like x 1
  14. TT97

TT97 Active Member

Works the same way on the 3

15. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

My problem is Model 3 can’t distinguish between open and close. If park outside of garage door and garage door is closed, when I drive away the garage door will be opened. This is not good , so I turned it off.

• Like x 1
  16. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

Yep, one of the reasons I turned it off as well. Too bad that most garage door openers don’t have discrete codes for opening and closing.

I’ve got a Z-wave home controller that does most of the lights in my house. I’m sure if I got one of the garage door sensors and a relay I could just have my controller close the garage door when it detects my phone leaving the geofence around my house. This would be so much more reliable.

17. chinnam3

chinnam3 Member

#17 chinnam3, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    It is not Model 3 specific problem. I have Homelink in all my cars for a while, it is just like garage opener remote. There are no discrete signals to open and close, neither there is any status.

It happend few times where garage is open, and car sent signal again and door started closing. But again I felt not a big deal as the opener icon is right at the top and can be clicked easily.

I wish app like Chamberlane MyQ can be linked to M3 to know the door status and send signal appropriately.

18. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

Exactly, MyQ knows my garage door status.

19. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

But that’s not homelink is it?
    Pretty sure Homelink can’t send status.
    Homelink doesn’t work with a whole bunch of proprietary systems either.

20. guri

guri Member

I think about 15 meters

• Like x 1