Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage door opener

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$300 for the option. It isn't on the ordering page as it is an accessory that Tesla installs after delivery. You can order it on the website once you have been assigned a VIN. They install the Homelink module underneath the frunk and update your software to unlock the homelink options.

I bought it and think it is well worth not having a remote clipped to my visor for the aesthetic and for the convenience. It is geofenced and will open and close your door automatically upon your car's arrival and/or departure. I currently have mine set to open the door 40 ft from the garage. I close it manually (touch icon on screen) when I leave but may change that to automatic at some point in the future.

i press mine to open the garage, reverse out of it, but it doesn’t auto close. If I shift to reverse before opening the garage, it shows skip closing. But I have to hit that button to open the garage.. doesn’t make sense to me, or I’m doing something wrong.

i press mine to open the garage, reverse out of it, but it doesn’t auto close. If I shift to reverse before opening the garage, it shows skip closing. But I have to hit that button to open the garage.. doesn’t make sense to me, or I’m doing something wrong.

Yeah, the auto-close is finicky. When you pull in, you need to make sure that you pull in correctly on the first attempt - if you need to back up to adjust, it will cancel the auto-close for the next exit. Also, once you are parked, you can't use homelink to close the garage or open it the next time as those will also cancel the auto-close.

It's supposed to auto open and close? Gee, can't see any issues with that setup. While I love my car and everything that goes along with it, this is a piece of technology that is both completely unnecessary and fraught with potential issues.
Give me my clipped "old school" opener on my passenger visor any day.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki and Runt8
I wonder how many people have opted to NOT get the garage door option.

Must be a lot of apartment/condo dwellers that own Tesla's that they decided NOT to include it in the car as they used to.

I have decided it is not worth it for me.

I have a 3 car garage and all 3 doors have the latest Lifmaster garage door openers with app on phone, battery back up, wi-fi notifications and autoclose options. Sometimes I open garage door open number 1 and sometimes 3 depending on what other is vehicle is parked in that spot. I use the 3 button remote or the app for that function and don't feel that that 1 second adds much.

While going out I open the garage door using the wall button.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I just had it installed a couple weeks ago, and it’s awesome! I love how it pops up the open option when I get closer to my house. It is very convenient. So much safer than the clip on. All it takes is someone breaking into your car, getting your garage door opener and your registration with home address, before that clip on starts to seem like a bad idea.

I just had it installed a couple weeks ago, and it’s awesome! I love how it pops up the open option when I get closer to my house. It is very convenient. So much safer than the clip on. All it takes is someone breaking into your car, getting your garage door opener and your registration with home address, before that clip on starts to seem like a bad idea.

Oh for crying out loud that's what keeps you up at night? Registration with home address too? Um, yeah, that is legally required to keep in every car in the country. There are many ways to find out who lives at addresses. It's public information.
If someone steals the clip and registration with Sentry mode on I will gladly let that one play out lol. I have a full security system at my house too. I feel pretty safe. Though what if someone breaks into the car and steals the Sentry mode USB drive???????? Oh the horror.

What about in nice weather if you arrive home and don't want to park in the garage and I want to walk in my front door? Does the door open anyway?
I am far more concerned with this unnecessary feature accidentally leaving the garage door open(and extra wear and tear by opening it when I don't want it to) than I am about someone robbing my garage door opener and stealing the registration. Not to sound like Charlie Brown, but good grief.

What about in nice weather if you arrive home and don't want to park in the garage and I want to walk in my front door? Does the door open anyway?
I am far more concerned with this unnecessary feature accidentally leaving the garage door open(and extra wear and tear by opening it when I don't want it to) than I am about someone robbing my garage door opener and stealing the registration. Not to sound like Charlie Brown, but good grief.
The answer to your question (if it really was a question) is that the Homelink pops up in advance and gives you the option to "skip" if you don't want it to open/close your door.

There are certainly reasons to NOT purchase the Homelink module, but I found the bolded pretty funny.

In decades of multi-home ownership I've never replaced a garage door opener (or garage door, for that matter). That (10x a year?) accidental open/closes is really going to make a difference.:rolleyes: