Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage door opener.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Time for an Apple Watch ;)

Actually, I should have probably looked harder into HomeKit enabled garage door openers before I placed my order 2 days ago for the HomeLink module. I could have saved ~$175. I actually have a smart garage door opener, even with up/down identification, but I have to use an app, no Siri.
I do have an AW... But I also have the homelink. I got my car when they were included, but I love it. It's like magic. As I pull up it just opens and as I drive away it closes. It's a little thing, but it makes it feel so good.

Reactions: Wennfred
For those still looking for a Garage Door opener solution... the Meross Smart Garage Door opener switch is now on sale for $31 at Amazon... it is WiFi-based and interfaces with Alexa, Google Home, IFTTT or a smartphone app and includes a sensor switch to test for state (open vs close). I probably would have gone with this or similar if I hadn't already "rolled my own" setup which pretty much does the same thing.

https://www.amazon.com/meross-Smart-Control-Compatible-Assistant/dp/B07L5DPK8P

Tailwind is the way to go. 60 or 70 dollars depending on if you need a sensor., alexa integration although I don't think its really needed for a garage door opener, but it also has auto open and auto close which is the main reason I got it. leave, garage closes, drive up it opens, no fumbling for a button.

Tailwind is the way to go. 60 or 70 dollars depending on if you need a sensor., alexa integration although I don't think its really needed for a garage door opener, but it also has auto open and auto close which is the main reason I got it. leave, garage closes, drive up it opens, no fumbling for a button.

Does Tailwind auto-close? The instructions say not. Well, yes it will close after you are a mile or so away but that leaves the garage unsecured for longer than I like. Here's what the Tailwind site says:

"The auto-close feature is an “in case you forget” feature. We continually state this in all our communications. You should close your garage door using a voice assistant, the mobile app, a remote, or any method that can close the door while in visual line of sight. If you forget to close the door as you leave, Tailwind’s auto-close will detect your departure, close it for you, and notify you that it is closed."

It then goes on to explain why it takes a minute or more to close for Android phones. iPhones need a separate vehicle detector but it works more expeditiously with a shorter delay. YMMV.

See Why doesn’t the auto-close work sooner as I leave home? I have it set for 250 feet, but sometimes it doesn’t close the door until I’m much further away. for the complete text.

It does Auto close. I set it for 150 feet and it's probably 300 to 500 when it closes based on the GPS size.

Right. But for people who don't have one yet, just don't expect to see the door close before you drive out of sight.
A major reason I got it was for its auto-close-at-night feature. We occasionally leave the door open accidently and my wife is amazed that we weren't murdered in our beds. I have it set to auto-close after 9pm to avoid that issue. I also like the way it greets me by opening when I arrive home.

Tailwind will also take google asst commands so i just tell my the car. "Hey Google close my garage door" ant it closes then and there.

It does auto close but i get about 1/2 block away before it will close, in case i forget or get lazy.

I also had a Meross its nice but there can be a delay as you drive up, your phone unlocks and you issue the command to open (trusted location in android)

That works if you take your phone out of your pocket. The way it is now (I understand the latest iOS beta has a switch for this now) is that siri doesn't listen if the front face is covered (e.g., in your pocket, like where mine lives) or face-down on a surface, etc.

MyQ can be used with an Apple Watch. Amazon has MyQ Adapters for compatible older openers for about $25. I open and close my garage door with a complication on my watch.

I don;' know what the Corolla has today but the Tesla version is more advanced than the one I have on a cor one model year older. Tesla homelink allows you to program more doors/gates and has gps features to automatically open the door/gates.