Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage Door Opener

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m pretty happy with the Tailwind setup, and the hardwired door position sensor is very reliable. They have had a handful of network outages lately that make me glad I still carry a backup garage door opener, but Tailwind has been very open about the issues and how they’re fixing them. And Apple HomeKit support is supposed to be on the way, but the iPhone app is Shortcut-enabled.

I have Homelink installed and <snip> Automatic opening works only half the time. <snip> Frustrating paying $300 for something that works half the time when a $10 clicker works all the time. Makes me mad, to be honest.

This is where I currently am, I have Homelink installed and it literally works 50% of the time. The Homelink mirror in my wife’s car works every time (not automatically though). Although the automation makes it theoretically “cooler”, if it does not work then it is pointless. At this point I regret spending that money.

Reactions: patnshan
So what's your plan for fixing it? Getting it to work 100% of the time? My '17's Homelink is almost exactly the same (plastic box it different, connector may be different), and it works 100% of the time.

Maybe there's something wrong with your unit? What's your plan? I encourage you to find one on ebay and buy it. Install it/swap it with yours. See if that fixes it. If its the same, put it back on ebay and sell it.

My point is, you are going to need to take control of this and find your own fix. Aren't you? And no offense intended.

So what's your plan for fixing it? Getting it to work 100% of the time? My '17's Homelink is almost exactly the same (plastic box it different, connector may be different), and it works 100% of the time.

Maybe there's something wrong with your unit? What's your plan? I encourage you to find one on ebay and buy it. Install it/swap it with yours. See if that fixes it. If its the same, put it back on ebay and sell it.

My point is, you are going to need to take control of this and find your own fix. Aren't you? And no offense intended.
No offense taken. I don't have a plan to fix it. It may be possible that something is wrong with my unit, but I've seen some others report similar issues, which leads me to believe that the issue is not my unit.

I should be investigating further, but at this point in time, it's pretty low on my list. It's an annoyance at the moment, because I can still tap the icon and it will work (just not automatically like it should). One of these days, if I have my car in for some other service, I may add this to the list of things to check. But I have a feeling they will not be able to check it without being in my driveway.

But I have a feeling they will not be able to check it without being in my driveway.

Absolutely true.

Years ago when they were just starting to give us auto-open and auto-close on the S, we had some odd issues. One was, after auto close started its action, if we touched a-n-y where on the screen, the touch translated to the car as "cancel the auto-close'. Problem grew deeper, because next day and after for instance, auto-close simply would not occur, not offer the choice on the screen. The only way to fix it was to delete the Homelink profile, drive without it at least one exit from the garage, and come back and re-program a fresh profile.

For a while the lesson was "don't touch what's working", else......

Something to check. Homelink does not like LED bulbs in the GDO. If yours has LED bulb(s), at least unscrew them and see if the problem disappears. And there's a version (or two) on Amazon that work with Homelink/GDO's. 'bout $10.

Something to check. Homelink does not like LED bulbs in the GDO. If yours has LED bulb(s), at least unscrew them and see if the problem disappears. And there's a version (or two) on Amazon that work with Homelink/GDO's. 'bout $10.
I changed out my bulb and it fixed the problem I was having. Home Depot and Lowes have the bulbs - clearly marked on the packaging that it is for garage door openers.

1. My garage door opener is an old Craftsman brand. 25yrs old, LED bulbs make no difference, CFL bulb neither.

2. Opener worked fine with the 2017 MS 100D

3. Opener was bit of a bother getting it to work on the 2021 MS LR+ picked up on the 18th Dec.
a. Used the cars learning procedure as spelled out on he car,
b. Then switched to the instructions on the back of the garage door opener and the garage door opener replied that all
was good almost.
c. Saved it as the car instructed with the highlighted "SAVE" button which pops up the ''options" screen with a number of check boxes.
Now the screen had no 'SAVE' button just a "PROGRAM" button highlighted which wiped out everything and had to restart
the whole process.......arrgh
d. The next time round I used the 'X' button in the upper L corner to bail from that screen and it has worked fine since cross fingers.

This is where I currently am, I have Homelink installed and it literally works 50% of the time. The Homelink mirror in my wife’s car works every time (not automatically though). Although the automation makes it theoretically “cooler”, if it does not work then it is pointless. At this point I regret spending that money.
Yep. I currently have two other cars with homelink. I have had three other cars with homelink. They all worked 100% of the time. Tesla's homelink is pure garbage. I wish I could get my $300 back.

Reactions: Clark_Kent
Yep. I currently have two other cars with homelink. I have had three other cars with homelink. They all worked 100% of the time. Tesla's homelink is pure garbage. I wish I could get my $300 back.
We've had Homelink on 10 of our 12 Teslas over the past 5 years and it has worked fine nearly 100% of the time. There were only a few instances when it didn't work.

• Helpful
Reactions: CO_MY
I have MyQ and it says it works with EVE for Tesla... EVE for Tesla
Anybody has some more details?

I have MyQ as well for my Chamberlain opener. I also setup homebridge so it integrates with Homekit (would be nice if it did that natively) so I can setup a scene so the door opens automatically when I get close.

I also have myQ - also on my phone as well, but I spent the extra $12 for a second remote control that is clipped to my drivers door pocket.

I looked into this not too long ago as I also have MyQ. The EVE service that allows garage door automation is a subscription service for $3.99/month. Hard pass for me. I just use the old school garage door clicker clipped to the visor. It works 100% of the time, all the time. No phantom opening or closing, no bugs or issues.

I added a shortcut on my iphone to open/close my garage door w/ MyQ without subscribing to anything. Best part is, I can just tell siri to open/close the garage door and it opens/closes. If you have MyQ & iphones you can give shortcuts a try; it's truly not automatic, but using voice to open/close the garage door is pretty nice and I don't need a garage remote in my car.
https://www.reddit.com/r/shortcuts/comments/bv0n2l/improved_shortcuts_to_control_a_garage_door_myq/

Reactions: dyau
I hope this helps. I'm not trying to resolve Homelink issues. But I am offering an idea as a parallel to the tech you are using.
This works. Its Alexa and Google compatible. If you, (like I) have an Alexa and/or Google comm device in your car, this can give you another way to open and close your door. Its simple, and its only a cost of about $7 on Amazon. The video is a couple of years up and the price has gone up a little. You can use this along side your MyQ opener so it then helps not replaces your existing. A few of us with less than 100% compatible GDOs must add one of our existing remote GDO's to assist the Sonoff Basic. Some of us might need to pick up a cheap extra remote on Amazon/eBay.

I hope this helps. I'm not trying to resolve Homelink issues. But I am offering an idea as a parallel to the tech you are using.
This works. Its Alexa and Google compatible. If you, (like I) have an Alexa and/or Google comm device in your car, this can give you another way to open and close your door. Its simple, and its only a cost of about $7 on Amazon. The video is a couple of years up and the price has gone up a little. You can use this along side your MyQ opener so it then helps not replaces your existing. A few of us with less than 100% compatible GDOs must add one of our existing remote GDO's to assist the Sonoff Basic. Some of us might need to pick up a cheap extra remote on Amazon/eBay.

I installed a similar one. works great.

I am going to watch this and see if it will work for my application. Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: Akikiki