Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage Door Opener?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with some of the others it really depends on your needs. I have a gate, long driveway and a garage so the convenience of having my gate open as I drive through and the garage door open when I get there is worth it. If didn’t have a gate and driveway then a simple remote in Y would be fine.

It does give a beep before activating it. So if one wants to disable it they can. I have programmed to open the garage door and close automatically. My side mirrors are also set to close on the driveway and open up after exiting the garage. I love the homelink. I live in a very safe community with single family homes. Most people have lived there more than 20 years so everyone knows everyone. I don't think it is dangerous in any way to use auto open and auto close of the garage door.
The danger is the car is just sending a “toggle” signal. There is no “open” or “close” signal. So, if you have a double garage door and two Tesla’s return at the same time one will open and the other will close.

Or, if the kids are playing in the driveway with the garage door open and the Tesla returns home it will close the door instead of opening.

Etc.

Actually you can program the car to use GPS to auto activate the garage/gate so it saves a button press
I would not want my garage door just to open based on the location of my vehicle. What if I don't want the garage to open? There are times when I park in the driveway just to run into the house quickly. There are also plenty of security issues with this auto approach. To each their own.

Also, we need to stop acting as if taking three seconds to press a button is difficult or time consuming :D

Reactions: John in LB
I would not want my garage door just to open based on the location of my vehicle. What if I don't want the garage to open? There are times when I park in the driveway just to run into the house quickly. There are also plenty of security issues with this auto approach. To each their own.

Also, we need to stop acting as if taking three seconds to press a button is difficult or time consuming :D
For the rare times I don't want that to happen there's a button on the screen that pops up whenever you're in the vicinity that prevents it from auto opening - you can also set the trigger distance

Definitely not difficult or time consuming to press a button but we drive very high tech cars and this is just another convenience feature that's a cherry on top - my mother was very impressed with it when I approached my gated community and the car dinged and the gate opened

It certainly has benefits and I definitely would use for a gate.

But for the door “auto” has been more trouble than worth in my case.

I do like the homelink integrated. Gives me a better feeling of comfort those nights I park in the drive. With a clicker in the car, access to the garage is a smashed window away. The integrated opener is not accessible when the car is off.

It certainly has benefits and I definitely would use for a gate.

But for the door “auto” has been more trouble than worth in my case.

I do like the homelink integrated. Gives me a better feeling of comfort those nights I park in the drive. With a clicker in the car, access to the garage is a smashed window away. The integrated opener is not accessible when the car is off.
The Tesla app also has the garage homelink button. So you do not need to be in the car to operate it.

The danger is the car is just sending a “toggle” signal. There is no “open” or “close” signal. So, if you have a double garage door and two Tesla’s return at the same time one will open and the other will close.

Or, if the kids are playing in the driveway with the garage door open and the Tesla returns home it will close the door instead of opening.

Etc.
Is it not what a garage opener does too? So if Tesla's homelink is dangerous, then a garage door opener would be dangerous too.

Reactions: BGOwner and cgell
Is it not what a garage opener does too? So if Tesla's homelink is dangerous, then a garage door opener would be dangerous too.
Except for the location based automatic open/close feature. Ideally someone should set the range for auto open to be after you have visual contact with garage door, but nothing is stopping someone from leaving it at default distance where the auto open signal could be send before you see the garage door.

Sure this can happen with a garage door opener (or homelink buttons in other vehicles), but at least there you are making a conscious decision every time to press that button before actually seeing the garage door.

• Disagree
Reactions: 73Bruin and brkaus
Except for the location based automatic open/close feature. Ideally someone should set the range for auto open to be after you have visual contact with garage door, but nothing is stopping someone from leaving it at default distance where the auto open signal could be send before you see the garage door.

Sure this can happen with a garage door opener (or homelink buttons in other vehicles), but at least there you are making a conscious decision every time to press that button before actually seeing the garage door.

I think that you are making this a much bigger issue than it is in everyday usage. Homelink is not a long range device. I find that it detects my garage and the front date of our complex well before it opens them. Perhaps 30ft for reporting detection and a reported 5 ft (that is in reality 15ft) for actual opening the garage and gate. Conversely the rear gate in our condo complex opens at perhaps 40 ft. from outside the complex but only 20 ft from inside the complex where it does not have a clear line of sight until our car gets to 20 ft.

• Disagree
Reactions: leaftoy
I think that you are making this a much bigger issue than it is in everyday usage. Homelink is not a long range device. I find that it detects my garage and the front date of our complex well before it opens them. Perhaps 30ft for reporting detection and a reported 5 ft (that is in reality 15ft) for actual opening the garage and gate. Conversely the rear gate in our condo complex opens at perhaps 40 ft. from outside the complex but only 20 ft from inside the complex where it does not have a clear line of sight until our car gets to 20 ft.
So my point of view was controversial enough for you to deserve a downvote? Yes, Homelink is not a long range device, but individual circumstances vary and in my case default homelink auto open distance is farther than line of sight. I am sure there are a lot of others for which this is true, whether or not for your specific situation default distance works well.

The automatic open and close is an option. So there is no need for you to set it to automatically open. I live in a leafy safe suburb with no apartments allowed in our community by a by law in our HOA. So I have set it to open automatically. Were I to live near a high crime area, I would do differently. So YMMV.

Reactions: BGOwner

I do not know if you have homelink or what. Let me tell you the range of my Tesla homelink for Auto open is much less than my garage opener. Second, the distance is set by the user. Third, you do NOT have to set it up on Auto open if you do not want to have it auto open. So why are you going on and on by making arguments none of which are valid? I just do not understand. You moved from dangerous to now the distance and then it being on Auto open. If you wish I can post a photo of the options in the home link set up if you wish. I ran it without open for a week before setting it to Auto open. Even then it gives a beep before auto opening in case one wishes not to auto open. Even the mirror folding and opening is an option in the home link set up.

• Informative
Reactions: 73Bruin and BGOwner
Once one installs Homelink, this is how the options screen shows up. I just thought I would put it out since much information was posted that is contrary to do what homelink can and can not do.

Attachments

• IMG_7355.JPG
    IMG_7355.JPG
    899.2 KB · Views: 99
That's $350 worth of juice, probably get you 3500 miles.

I find that more valuable than HomeLink when a $15 clicker, hidden in an easily reached spot, can work just fine and never, ever hiccup.
I think the value of each option is different for each person. For some $5k on PPF and tint is value, for others it is waste of money. For some spending money on wheels is justified, others not. Likewise for the Homelink. I have always had a single homelink, for my home, brother's garage, cabin garage and more. YMMV.

I'm doing this a bit differently. Tesla's have a built in browser, and what you need is a home assistant (running on raspberry pi for 50eur). A shelly 1 wifi switch (20eur) that you integrate into home assistant. Then you can open/close garage/gate from wherever you are, from a Tesla or a mobile phone.

That's $350 worth of juice, probably get you 3500 miles.

I find that more valuable than HomeLink when a $15 clicker, hidden in an easily reached spot, can work just fine and never, ever hiccup.
Exactly. In my previous four cars I always programmed the garage door to the buttons on the rear view mirror. Since Tesla doesn't have these options all I did was use a small velcro command strip and place the garage door opener to the left side of the where the phones sit. Literally no one in the car can see it and it's not even close to touching your legs. It takes less time to click that than getting your phone, or searching for the button on the screen.