Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage Door Opener?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had Homelink on my Model 3 last year, and I loved the features and how it worked, and I could easily and multiple garages into the car (like my mother-in-law's security gate to her complex, and my brother's garage when we needed to pick up the kids). Before that, having multiple garage door openers wasn't cutting it.

I just had Tesla mobile service install it for me earlier this past week (3 days after taking delivery of my Model Y), and works exactly the same and it's great to use again. It's convenient to have it auto open & close the smaller garage door that I park in.

I personally wouldn't want to use an app because there's just too much delay and effort involved to open your garage, especially when you're driving up to the house and turning into the driveway and making sure the neighborhood kids aren't running around nearby.
Like I said, I had the Tesla Homelink module installed on my Model 3 as well...it works great, but it's too expensive IMO. With Tailwind it does the exact same thing as the Tesla Homelink module for less than a quarter of the price...it auto-opens based on your GPS location (you can set a custom distance). Tailwind also has an advantage in that you can check the open/close status of your garage door from the app...also you can control your garage door from anywhere (unlike the Tesla Homelink module, which requires your car to actually be in or around the garage in order to work).

I had Homelink on my Model 3 last year, and I loved the features and how it worked, and I could easily and multiple garages into the car (like my mother-in-law's security gate to her complex, and my brother's garage when we needed to pick up the kids). Before that, having multiple garage door openers wasn't cutting it.

I just had Tesla mobile service install it for me earlier this past week (3 days after taking delivery of my Model Y), and works exactly the same and it's great to use again. It's convenient to have it auto open & close the smaller garage door that I park in.

I personally wouldn't want to use an app because there's just too much delay and effort involved to open your garage, especially when you're driving up to the house and turning into the driveway and making sure the neighborhood kids aren't running around nearby.
I’m with ya. When I get tired of using the clicker I will order the home link install. I would have no desire to use an aftermarket link or other apps. I had homelink in my last vehicle and really enjoyed it. There’s something about having it integrated into the touch screen. I don’t really care what it costs.

Well put. I, too, balked at spending the extra money on a silly garage door opener. Then i said screw it, ordered it and never looked back. It simply just another totally awesome, seemless, excellent Tesla product that i won’t ever go back to using my clicker. Why do they not include this with the car? Because they don’t have to, they know they’ll make a ridiculous profit margin from a control box that prob costs $.13 cents to make. Buy it or don’t buy it, Tesla could give a rats a$$..
Gentex paid $700mm in 2013 to Johnson Controls for Homelink and the patent rights. I am sure they don't sell that control unit to Tesla for chump change.

Like I said, I had the Tesla Homelink module installed on my Model 3 as well...it works great, but it's too expensive IMO. With Tailwind it does the exact same thing as the Tesla Homelink module for less than a quarter of the price...it auto-opens based on your GPS location (you can set a custom distance). Tailwind also has an advantage in that you can check the open/close status of your garage door from the app...also you can control your garage door from anywhere (unlike the Tesla Homelink module, which requires your car to actually be in or around the garage in order to work).
My townhome is in an HOA, that has 2 gates. Unless Tailwind can work with multiple gates and garage door locations, that work on different remote systems, it's useless to me. Homelink handles this flawlessly.

Reactions: ZilWin
Tailwind says not for gates if I remember right but it can be done if you are creative enough. It will do up to 3 doors. Tailwind still makes the beep when closing but not as long as the my q and no flashing light.
To use hey Siri with the tailwind app, open the shortcut app on your iPhone , click create a new shortcut. Choose “apps” find the tailwind app and select it. Choose open or close as the action you want. Then just name the shortcut open or close garage door. Now you can say hey Siri open the garage door. Way easier than my q which requires some effort, unless you use the official way to use hey Siri with my q which won’t let you use hey Siri to open the door.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
Tailwind says not for gates if I remember right but it can be done if you are creative enough. It will do up to 3 doors. Tailwind still makes the beep when closing but not as long as the my q and no flashing light.
To use hey Siri with the tailwind app, open the shortcut app on your iPhone , click create a new shortcut. Choose “apps” find the tailwind app and select it. Choose open or close as the action you want. Then just name the shortcut open or close garage door. Now you can say hey Siri open the garage door. Way easier than my q which requires some effort, unless you use the official way to use hey Siri with my q which won’t let you use hey Siri to open the door.
My Q has a home bridge that works well and interfaces smoothly with apple home kit. Alas, hone kit automation is not perfect and thus I bought the Tesla garage door opener. It stung a lot but I will be thankful for it when driving every day.

Reactions: 73Bruin
Every time I have been stopped, regardless of state, It's 'License, registration, and proof of insurance, sir!'
Perhaps Texas is different but do not restrict my travel to just TX so I need to carry the docs for everywhere else.

I carry these items in my wallet.

Me too.....they're in the car when I am, but I don't leave them in the car.

So the modern question, is why do we still have to carry all those pieces of paper. Why can't they be electronic? I'm looking at you Motor Vehicle Departments across the country.

I never understood the requirement for carrying registration documents IN the car ... If we have to do that, then what's the point of the registration sticker in the windshield?

If you get stopped in Texas, they have a handheld device that reads the barcode on the windshield sticker anyway, plus even Home Depot reads the barcode of the DL if you're doing a receipt free return. It's called the 21st Century - which is odd considering this is Texas :(

So the modern question, is why do we still have to carry all those pieces of paper. Why can't they be electronic? I'm looking at you Motor Vehicle Departments across the country.
Can you imagine the backlash from the political buffoons if we actually started to streamline bloated government bureaucracies? Shame on you for even suggesting 'We the People' actually gain back some control and sanity.

With the Chamberlin MyQ app, not only can I check the status of the garage door. but it's set up to send me an alert if the door is left open for longer than 15 minutes. It also allows for remote open/close.
Tailwind takes garage door automation to the next level beyond what MyQ provides. With Tailwind the garage door will close as you drive away. When you return home your garage door will open as you approach your home, you don't need to press a button on a remote control or use the MyQ app.

If you have two or three garage doors, each with its own opener, Tailwind can recognize you by your phone or by a small BT token you place in your vehicle. Tailwind will open the correct garage door depending on who is driving.

You will still have to manually open the garage door to leave and you will have to manually close the garage door after you pull in.

If these automated functions are important to you then Tailwind is a worthwhile upgrade to the Chamberlin MyQ app and garage door remote that can be clipped to the sun visor.

Reactions: Animal_UK
Tailwind takes garage door automation to the next level beyond what MyQ provides. With Tailwind the garage door will close as you drive away. When you return home your garage door will open as you approach your home, you don't need to press a button on a remote control or use the MyQ app.

If you have two or three garage doors, each with its own opener, Tailwind can recognize you by your phone or by a small BT token you place in your vehicle. Tailwind will open the correct garage door depending on who is driving.

You will still have to manually open the garage door to leave and you will have to manually close the garage door after you pull in.

If these automated functions are important to you then Tailwind is a worthwhile upgrade to the Chamberlin MyQ app and garage door remote that can be clipped to the sun visor.
MyQ will do the same thing but I believe it has to interface to the home app to create the automation you’re describing.

I bought the $350 Tesla version and it work. Every time. It’s brainless. Integrated. I feel like a fool for spending that much but the integrated, secure aspect is fantastic. I no longer think about opening or closing garage door when coming or going.

How ever you do it, the automation aspect is glorious!

Reactions: Hellpops
MyQ will do the same thing but I believe it has to interface to the home app to create the automation you’re describing.

I bought the $350 Tesla version and it work. Every time. It’s brainless. Integrated. I feel like a fool for spending that much but the integrated, secure aspect is fantastic. I no longer think about opening or closing garage door when coming or going.

How ever you do it, the automation aspect is glorious!
That's the thing: I have Tesla's Homelink module installed in one of my cars. It works about 90% of the time. Always works coming home, but leaving, maybe 1 out of 5 fails and I have to manually press the screen.

If it worked "every time" for me, I wouldn't be looking for other solutions.

I decommissioned all my "smart home" toys after having to once too often do a factory reset . . .

. . . on lightbulbs !

Lutron Caseta - 100% reliable for smart control over 4 years now. The only time it hasn't worked for me from my smart phone is when the internet was down. There's still manual control with the physical light switch in that situation. I got rid of all the smart bulbs etc. Has Amazon, Google, Apple integration standard.

Agree homelink module is needlessly expensive and should have been included but at the same time it's fantastic and adds to the "I jumped years into the future" feeling of the car. Having the community gate and garage open as I pull up is great.