Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage door position reset only works for approach and not departure.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
I spent an hour playing with this this morning and could not get it to work for my garage. When resetting the position of the garage door location, the auto open feature activates the garage door about 60 feet out from the set location. However, when pulling out, it starts at a 20 foot countdown regardless of where you reset the location.

I have a 40x40 garage and we park our cars near the back. So when I pull out, the garage door starts to close just as I'm getting to the door itself and then the obstruction warning flashes on the garage door opener. The only way I can get it to work is to park with the nose of the car no more than 25 feet into the garage.

It's totally broken. I messed with the reset for an hour this morning and cannot get it to do anything but 20 foot countdown when backing out. It does this regardless of where the reset point is and how far I'm parked into the garage.

I spent an hour playing with this this morning and could not get it to work for my garage. When resetting the position of the garage door location, the auto open feature activates the garage door about 60 feet out from the set location. However, when pulling out, it starts at a 20 foot countdown regardless of where you reset the location.

I have a 40x40 garage and we park our cars near the back. So when I pull out, the garage door starts to close just as I'm getting to the door itself and then the obstruction warning flashes on the garage door opener. The only way I can get it to work is to park with the nose of the car no more than 25 feet into the garage.

It's totally broken. I messed with the reset for an hour this morning and cannot get it to do anything but 20 foot countdown when backing out. It does this regardless of where the reset point is and how far I'm parked into the garage.

I'm having the opposite problem. In my tiny garage, upon departing the auto close works flawlessly. However, when I arrive - it starts the auto-open way too early (even after several resets). I have to drive in the alley-way, and then make a very sharp turn into my short driveway. The auto-open starts & finishes before I make the turn into the driveway about 70% of the time.

I'm having the opposite problem. In my tiny garage, upon departing the auto close works flawlessly. However, when I arrive - it starts the auto-open way too early (even after several resets). I have to drive in the alley-way, and then make a very sharp turn into my short driveway. The auto-open starts & finishes before I make the turn into the driveway about 70% of the time.

In my experimentation I was able to get to open later on arrival by doing the position reset when parked at the back of the garage. It didn't effect the 20 foot departure countdown but it does allow you to adjust when the garage door open for arrival.

Ideally, they'd allow you to set it for both perhaps by whether your in Drive or Reverse when you do the reset.

Considering your garage is bigger than some homes square footage no wonder why. It's not so much that it's broken as your scenario is out of the norm. Maybe Tesla needs a customizable countdown for auto-close like they have for the summon on how close to an object you want to park.

Well, unusual maybe, and yeah, nice garage, but I have to wonder why they split the functionality like that. I'd have expected the position reset to affect both arrival and departure. Having trouble coming up with a justification for splitting them, yet it seems like it would have been more work to do so than to have them combined.

You said that opening too early is a problem. Are you afraid of intruders into your garage if it opens too early? Have you try pressing skip for auto-open and reset the location once you get to the front of the garage?

Well, there's your problem: Supposedly, the summon only drives 39 feet max (current version anyways).

I'm not using Summons.

- - - Updated - - -

Considering your garage is bigger than some homes square footage no wonder why. It's not so much that it's broken as your scenario is out of the norm. Maybe Tesla needs a customizable countdown for auto-close like they have for the summon on how close to an object you want to park.

Every garage in my neighborhood is a double deep 4 car garage except for the house that have the 6 car wide garages. In my town, these are the people most likely to buy a Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

Mine triggers and finishes while I am still out on the street. My driveway is 75 feet long and the opener does not work when the car is that far away.

My hand held opener works 300 feet away, but the homelink in the Tesla only works about 60 feet away max.

- - - Updated - - -

@sorka, it does seem that Tesla did not envision a garage as large as yours, which by the way is literally the same size as my 4-bedroom / 1-car garage house.
I think your situation is an outlier, but do think that Tesla needs to accommodate it.

You live in San Mateo, so you're house is worth 4 times what mine is even if it is 1/3rd the size. I would think most people who can afford to buy Tesla's not living in ultra expensive cost / square foot areas would have large multi car garages. Heck, even a lot of two car garages are double deep.

You said that opening too early is a problem. Are you afraid of intruders into your garage if it opens too early? Have you try pressing skip for auto-open and reset the location once you get to the front of the garage?

Sorry, I wasn't very clear :)
I meant the car sends the open signal too early - as in before I am in range. So by the time I turn into the driveway, the car has stopped sending the signal and the door is still closed. I'll try the suggestion of resetting the location while still in the garage, see if that makes a difference.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear :)
I meant the car sends the open signal too early - as in before I am in range. So by the time I turn into the driveway, the car has stopped sending the signal and the door is still closed. I'll try the suggestion of resetting the location while still in the garage, see if that makes a difference.

I had this too. Try pulling into your garage and sit there for a few seconds. Then put in park and reset location. It now opens each time but I have to slow down a little. Just keep resetting the location until it does what you want. Should work.

In my experimentation I was able to get to open later on arrival by doing the position reset when parked at the back of the garage. It didn't effect the 20 foot departure countdown but it does allow you to adjust when the garage door open for arrival.
Applying the reverse logic from Ryan Webb, what if you set your location to be some distance AWAY from your garage. Maybe the auto-close would then work. If the side effect is that the auto-open signal starts too early (too far from your garage), then you may have to find the sweet spot for both auto-open and auto-close. Have fun.:wink:

Applying the reverse logic from Ryan Webb, what if you set your location to be some distance AWAY from your garage. Maybe the auto-close would then work. If the side effect is that the auto-open signal starts too early (too far from your garage), then you may have to find the sweet spot for both auto-open and auto-close. Have fun.:wink:

I've tried far and near...even up the cul-de-sac. It makes not difference. It's a 20 foot countdown when leaving regardless.

I've only spent a little time experimenting with auto-open/close but it does seem that in its first release it's very restricted and only really works in one quite specific mainline case.

My issue is that my garage door controller has separate channels for open and close, so as far as Homelink is concerned it's two devices (learned separately, and labelled Garage Open and Garage Close in the car).

Auto-open works great; the Garage Open channel is configured to auto-open and triggers at just the right distance; very slick. But I can't use Auto-close at all, because it is dependent on enabling auto-open, and in my case it's a different channel.

Tesla have a deeply frustrating habit of providing very simple controls allied to a supposedly "smart" system, and as a result exclude the people whose situation doesn't fit the model envisaged by their engineers (e.g. smart preconditioning, walk away door locking, everything about the satnav). I really hope in this case they will enable a much more advanced configuration option where you can pick trigger points, behaviours etc and so have enough confidence in the system that you don't have to second guess it all the time.