Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage door programmed MYP, do I have to pay extra?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, if you want it integrated into the car and not just using the clicker for the garage door opener you likely already have. For more feedback on that than the answer to the question, search for "homelink".
Thanks. Just so hard to accept, after paying over $70 K for a car that doesn’t come equipped with a a programmed garage opener system sucks! super inexpensive cars have it 😲🤦🏻‍♂️ How crazy is that 😳

I think the non-fanboys can agree that all Tesla models, except maybe the standard range M3 should come with homelink standard.
When you’re paying $45K+ for a “luxury” car, it should have a basic function such as homelink.
But it should also come with a basic such as lumbar support but I digress.

Didn’t come with an engine or a muffler either what’s your point?
Not talking about drive train or battery pack 🤷🏻‍♂️ Just a simple garage opening program system that comes with all vehicles regardless of their price.. with the exception of Teslas, including those of over $100K… They think the price we payed was not enough therefore need to continue to charge extra for a basic option🤦🏻‍♂️😬 It all comes down to “Greed”

It’s not just homelink the clicker you are paying. You are buying tesla software implementation with onboard GPS that automatically open and close the garage door as you arrive and leave. Pretty awesome I might add, once you are used to it it’s hard to go back to manual clicking.
I’m sure that homelink and Tesla had this planned out; Both making more money on it.. Crazy how Tesla don’t even warn you or point it out; Almost all customers don’t check because they assume all cars regardless of price come it. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Bottom line “ Greed “ 💰

• Disagree
Reactions: dhanson865
I’m sure that homelink and Tesla had this planned out; Both making more money on it.. Crazy how Tesla don’t even warn you or point it out; Almost all customers don’t check because they assume all cars regardless of price come it. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Bottom line “ Greed “ 💰
Homelink doesn't make more money off of it. They'd make more if every car included it.

But Tesla is pretty clear that it doesn't come with the car. The fact that it's listed as an accessory in the Tesla Shop is also a pretty big hint. I ordered my Homelink system before I even got my VIN assigned.

No, tesla is not making money for it, and no its not "greed" (at least from tesla). If by "greed" you mean from the license holder of the homelink patent, that makes car manufacturers pay for it on installation (and quite a bit) then perhaps I might agree with that.

By the time tesla "rolls a truck" to install this and pays the tech to install it, along with the license, etc, its doubtful they are making much of anything on this.

There are a lot (a lot lot) of threads on this topic, in the model 3 and Y subforums with the same basic complaint, and the same response about the licensing of this being expensive.

I think the non-fanboys can agree that all Tesla models, except maybe the standard range M3 should come with homelink standard.
When you’re paying $45K+ for a “luxury” car, it should have a basic function such as homelink.
But it should also come with a basic such as lumbar support but I digress.
So folks that don’t have a garage should pay for a feature they don’t use? I bought it and to be honest I wish I hadn’t and just used the remote that came with my opener. That’s why OPTIONS are good. One size doesn’t fit all contrary to popular belief.