Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage door programmed MYP, do I have to pay extra?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m sure that homelink and Tesla had this planned out; Both making more money on it.. Crazy how Tesla don’t even warn you or point it out; Almost all customers don’t check because they assume all cars regardless of price come it. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Bottom line “ Greed “ 💰
I don’t know what you are trying to prove. All business exist to make profit, otherwise we will be buying tesla at cost. Tesla makes it an optional accessories so for people who live in condos or don’t park in the garage that have no need for homelink don’t have to pay for it. They give you a choice. No one is going to not buy tesla because it doesn’t come with homelink. You can continue to use old clicker, or pay 325 for the seamless tesla experience. I would say for $325 it’s the best accessory you can buy.

The car costs 13k extra. At this point it should be included.
The car should also include ventilated seats, 360 cameras, massage seats, better sound proofing, a sunroof, better build quality, real leather, a gauge cluster.

It doesn’t seem like you are aware of raw material price increases? Sit down and think of what it takes to build a vehicle. Each individual piece. Then research those materials and the raw costs of them.

No, tesla is not making money for it, and no its not "greed" (at least from tesla). If by "greed" you mean from the license holder of the homelink patent, that makes car manufacturers pay for it on installation (and quite a bit) then perhaps I might agree with that.

By the time tesla "rolls a truck" to install this and pays the tech to install it, along with the license, etc, its doubtful they are making much of anything on this.

There are a lot (a lot lot) of threads on this topic, in the model 3 and Y subforums with the same basic complaint, and the same response about the licensing of this being expensive.
Tesla is outselling the Toyota Camry in California and is now manufacturing over a million vehicles per year but can’t afford to have a garage opener on their rear view mirror? Kia, Fiat, Hyundai and many others who sell less units have it 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️ Greed!

(...but there's a catch to this. If my gate is already open and I drive up to it, the Homelink CLOSES THE GATE! Ditto for the garage door.)
That's why I always open and close the doors manually. What it does, however, is:
1. Notification to open the relevant garage door(s) always pops up when I get close to the location
2. Unlike a separate remote, Homelink cannot be stolen out of my vehicle and then used to open my garage

But there IS an annoying bug: the Tesla app allows you to control Homelink remotely, but it never asks which garage door you want it to activate. It just picks one for you.

Reactions: Pianewman
Tesla is outselling the Toyota Camry in California and is now manufacturing over a million vehicles per year but can’t afford to have a garage opener on their rear view mirror? Kia, Fiat, Hyundai and many others who sell less units have it 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️ Greed!

When I first saw you thread, I was asking myself if it was an actual real question, or simply another "homelink complaint" thread. I thought there was a chance it was a question, so thats why I responded. Since it now appears to be a complaint thread, I will simply say that the answer as to why it is not included has been provided, and there are alternatives if you do not want to buy homelink.

Hopefully you find an option that works for you.

So folks that don’t have a garage should pay for a feature they don’t use? I bought it and to be honest I wish I hadn’t and just used the remote that came with my opener. That’s why OPTIONS are good. One size doesn’t fit all contrary to popular belief.
That would make sense if Tesla offered different price points for their cars with or without. They don’t so your comment means nothing. You’re not paying more for a car with it. You might as well say I live where it’s warm so I shouldn’t have to pay for heated seats or heated wipers. I’d rather have home link then a car that farts or plays sounds from the pedestrian speaker. I’m paying for that crap that I don’t want.
But, when you’re selling a car for a $62k base price, charging $300 more for homelink is just nickel and diming. If the customer doesn’t use it ok, for those who want it they have it to use.