TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Garage door railing protection against falcon wing door

Discussion in 'Model X' started by mattack4000, Dec 7, 2017 at 2:51 AM.

Tags:
  1. mattack4000

mattack4000 Member

My garage door rails and the opener sits a little above 7', the falcon wing door has automatically opened and stopped in the chicken wing position during my test drive with other Model X. I wonder if it would be beneficial for me to put some extra stuff under the railing to ensure the sensor will always read the railings? What do you guys think?

2. skilly

skilly Member

it detects it....

3. Yinn

Yinn Member

Not always, I've had mine hit on more than one occasion.

Yes, it's beneficial as per above. I actually went a little extreme and redid my garage door rails completely. I moved to a high-lift garage door to permanently ensure I would never have to worry about hitting it. I only did the bay that houses the X, so I actually put foam outside the rails of the adjacent bay just in case as well.

4. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

It would not hurt.

5. skilly

skilly Member

Let me qualify my answer.

With the GPS option, your X can by default only partially open your doors when in your garage. Its a little more difficult to open and close, but seems to do the trick. Going to the effort of completely renovating my garage entry as the alternative didn't make sense for me. That said, my OCD may kick in at some point....

6. GOPJEW

GOPJEW Member

In preparation for my new X I simply cut up an old pool noodle and glued the foam to the bottom of the rails "just in case"...

7. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

I would also be concerned with the connector rod. I used pipe insulation to wrap the rod and secured it with tie wraps.
    [​IMG]

• Like x 1
  8. Yinn

Yinn Member

Hence why I said I went a little extreme. It's a couple hundred in parts, maybe $800 if you pay someone else to do it. So it's not absolutely horrendous. It took the better part of my Saturday.

I originally didn't worry about it as my sensors were picking it up. I did not use the always open selection, so it only partially opened almost always. But parked in certain spots it didn't detect anything and would hit the rails. It wasn't a huge concern when it was just the rails as it wouldn't leave a mark, but a larger concern when it hit the bracing for the rails, which did leave a mark.

9. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Supporting Member

Nice installation, but isn't the connector rod in the middle where the FWDs can't possibly hit it?

10. boelkers

boelkers Member

Depends on where in your garage the car is parked. My garage is a 1 1/2 car garage and where our MX sits the rod is in the way. I've had the X see it once and stop and another time it did not see it.

11. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

I love this term. Permission to use it?;)

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  12. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

My car is usually parked a bit off-center from the rail, but normally it's not a problem.

However, when my in-laws were visiting last summer, I over-rid the FWD to open fully in the garage (to make it easier for them to get in) and I didn't notice it pressing into that padded rod, so much so that it actually bent it slightly.

I don't think I sustained any damage since I also have XPel on the doors. There is a mark on the XPel and when I get it replaced I expect the paint to be perfect.