Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage door railing protection against falcon wing door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried foam pipe insulation, but that didn’t prevent damage at all. A couple weeks ago, I had it happen again, but I had some denser foam I got from scraps at the local service center, and that appeared to prevent door damage.
A640782F-A2B9-4078-A05B-5479D3AD5C71.jpeg

I also shaved down the J bar with a saw but still got damage with the pipe insulation (i.e., before I got the grey foam scraps from the service center).
5992FDCC-C38E-45E9-849B-3C0B1A0EB571.jpeg

The underlying problem I appear to be having is that the cladding sensors on both doors are failing and that causes a fault with the top sensor. Seems silly to me that a sensor fault could cause another to be ignored—really seems like a safety issue—but I’m not an engineer, so I don’t really know.

Related to your question, @Navsarin, I did mount a cardboard box (as a rough prototype, when the sensors were actually working) above the top sensor, but then the car thought the garage was too low and would barely open at all.
D0C20127-FCDB-49B9-92F5-B1F026C6A5A1.jpeg 0BF526CB-DF95-4245-8F67-686D22AAC085.jpeg

I tried foam pipe insulation, but that didn’t prevent damage at all. A couple weeks ago, I had it happen again, but I had some denser foam I got from scraps at the local service center, and that appeared to prevent door damage.
View attachment 288238

I also shaved down the J bar with a saw but still got damage with the pipe insulation (i.e., before I got the grey foam scraps from the service center).
View attachment 288239

The underlying problem I appear to be having is that the cladding sensors on both doors are failing and that causes a fault with the top sensor. Seems silly to me that a sensor fault could cause another to be ignored—really seems like a safety issue—but I’m not an engineer, so I don’t really know.

Related to your question, @Navsarin, I did mount a cardboard box (as a rough prototype, when the sensors were actually working) above the top sensor, but then the car thought the garage was too low and would barely open at all.
View attachment 288236 View attachment 288237

For me I have it set to open at location all the time so why would it not? That’s the frustrating part and I can’t have a 1/3 opening door for years now and just override manually every single time. At times like this I miss my MS

I thought setting full open is a full override of the sensors no?

And who at tesla design team was smoking what when they put the FWD button on the top of the screen and the front doors at the bottom?? Lol. Wow. My 8 yr old son asked the same question today. Even a child knows basic logic !

Attachments

• 66A77286-ABD1-4C2C-8570-1CEFF34E8DB4.jpeg
    66A77286-ABD1-4C2C-8570-1CEFF34E8DB4.jpeg
    326 KB · Views: 93
Reactions: vandacca
We just had our FWD painted after it hit the connector rod in the garage. But of course the FWD worked perfectly. Was user error from wife because for some reason, she decided to close the garage door with the FWD open.
I already talked with my wife that if we ever decide to get an X that I'm going to have the garage door rails raised to the ceiling and that I'm going to change the opener to a jackshaft style. It would only be a matter of time before one of us would smack a door into something...