Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage door randomly opened

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Technically I am pretty sure that Auto Open and Auto Close are misnomers as there are not discrete signals for open and close. What is really happening is that the car sends a "Toggle Door" command to your garage door opener under either the Auto Open or Auto Close. Doesn't your garage door have a safety "electronic eye" that causes the door to immediately stop if the beam across your door is broken? If you don't then you should replace it - these have been standard for many years and are required for the "smart" garage door openers like the Chamberlain MyQ system.
Actually yes it does. My kids will actually jump over it to close the garage if no opener handy. But when you have grandkids that are 1 to 2 years old you are a bit paranoid. However, not sure how the guy with the garage door coming down on the car actually happened now that you mention it. On the other hand, I have actually had the inside garage door handles (they are attached to the inside of the garage door to manually open/close) come down and scrape the back bumper of my prior 2 cars. We actually removed the inside handles from both our Garage doors when we got the last new car in 2016.

Technically I am pretty sure that Auto Open and Auto Close are misnomers as there are not discrete signals for open and close. What is really happening is that the car sends a "Toggle Door" command to your garage door opener under either the Auto Open or Auto Close. Doesn't your garage door have a safety "electronic eye" that causes the door to immediately stop if the beam across your door is broken (edit - these have been required for all openers made in the US since 1993)? If you don't then you should replace it - these have been standard for many years and are required for the "smart" garage door openers like the Chamberlain MyQ system.

I also believe this to be true. There is a TOGGLE signal. I think some of the newest openers may have open/close based on messing with an internet homelinc access point.

Simple to test. Drive car away. Let it close the door. Have someone else open it while you are gone and see what happens.

Regarding the safety eye - most are installed too low to sense if the front or back of the car is in the path. They are setup to not crush a kid laying under the door. About 4-6” is the recommended height.

Edit to add- I have two scrapes on my trunk deck to prove it :(. Second day I had the car.

Garage door openers don't have OPEN and CLOSE buttons. They have ONE button. It is necessarily a toggle.

The car, though, can tell when it is approaching home or leaving home. So it knows it wants the door open. But if the door is already open, it will close it. You have to be quick to stop it in time.

I purchase a car garage opener for my Tesla Y model, and by mistake my kid open the box, and it say no to open it
what should I do ?
Just keep the box and packing slip and put them in the car and show Tesla when you get the Homelink installed. Explain how your kid opened it and show the packing slip/order form and I doubt there will be any issue.