Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage door randomly opened

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone had experienced this, I took delivery of my MX this past weekend and when I got home i setup home link to auto open the garage door when approaching the house from the outside ( I did not enable the auto close feature). For the first couple of days it was fine, but then last night at around 10:30pm, I hear my garage door opening. I looked around and didn't see anyone, so I could only assume the MX had initiated the open command. Looking through the forums, some are saying it may be due to the GPS skipping around making the MX think that it's outside of the garage hence the open command. Needless to say, I disabled homelink for now and just use our regular garage door opener.

Has anyone experienced this? If so, any tips on how to resolve this?

Thanks.

I disabled homelink automatic opening because last year after several weeks away it did not open the garage door. Then when I brought up the icon to open the door I hit it, door did not open, hit it again and the door started to open, then it stopped just at the height of the top of the car and I scraped the top of the car (did not see it was partly down because I was backing in). I think I may have double tapped it as the door was opening, or something. Anyway, now I just use homelink like a regular garage door opener. It pops up on the centre console screen automatically as we approach the garage.
BTW, I feel the same about AP. I use it very occasionally but don't trust that it is 100% reliable since it tried to keep going straight off the road when I was in the right hand of a passing lane that had ended. AP wanted to follow the straight dotted line on the left that signals the end of the passing lane instead of the right handed solid white line. Now I just use AP if I am rummaging around for something or doing something complicated on the centre console, since it drives better that a very distracted me in those situations.

• Informative
Reactions: doubeld and Shaz
I've had no problems with auto-open / auto-close, except occasionally it doesn't even attempt to auto-close. That happens about once every week or two.

The other glitch I've seen is having it trigger Homelink when it was a kilometer from home. It has no actual effect other than the "BING" sound. It's happened dozens of times, though not in the last few days so maybe they've finally fixed a bug.

When I first got my Tesla, it turns out that I programmed it to control the garage door at the same time that my neighbor was leaving their house. Then for a few days afterwards, whenever they would leave or come back, I would hear my garage door open since my garage door openers had actually learned my Tesla and my neighbor's remote at the same time. I cleared out all remotes on the garage doors and reprogrammed them all. Everything has worked fine ever since.

When I first got my Tesla, it turns out that I programmed it to control the garage door at the same time that my neighbor was leaving their house. Then for a few days afterwards, whenever they would leave or come back, I would hear my garage door open since my garage door openers had actually learned my Tesla and my neighbor's remote at the same time. I cleared out all remotes on the garage doors and reprogrammed them all. Everything has worked fine ever since.

That is crazy!! The possibilities of this happening!!

I didn't have the problem but needed to address leaving the door open by accident. I changed to liftmaster openers that are wi-fi connected and have battery back-up. The door status can be accessed online anywhere you can get on the net and you can open/close when needed. The best feature is you can set the door to automatically close if you forget. It has a timer with various times. Mine is set to close in 5 minutes if left open and there is a button on the control to hold open too.

Lots of possible explanations to the garage door opening. I doubt it was the car, but certainly a possibility.

I personally would never allow the car to auto-open or auto-close. The reason is that the homelink protocol does not have an "Open" or "Close" command. It simply has a "Press" commend. So the car is tracking the state based on what the car thinks, not about the reality of the garage door positioning.

• Informative
Reactions: Shaz
This morning my Tesla failed to close the door when I left. Then it tried to trigger the door a kilometer from home. So that bug is NOT fixed.

The current software is pretty flaky. It regularly "forgets" what the speed limit is, or that you're on a divided highway, which makes it impossible to use autopilot. That started happening two updates ago.

I don't know why they keep having these bad regressions.

only have auto open enabled. Works flawlessly everytime when I approach my garage.

I got used to it so much, when i drove my other ICE car the other day, as i drove into my driveway, I was perplexed as to why my door was not opening. It took me a minute to realize what is happening, fumbled around figured out where the home link button is and pressed it.

I got used to it so much, when i drove my other ICE car the other day, as i drove into my driveway, I was perplexed as to why my door was not opening. It took me a minute to realize what is happening, fumbled around figured out where the home link button is and pressed it.

Yeah me too.

Is auto close a new thing? I've only seen auto open which is what mine does.

No, auto close was introduced simultaneously with auto open.

The problem with auto close is, how am i to be absolutely sure that the garage door closed? As I am driving away, I can only hope the door closed. The thought that it may not have closed, has forced me to come and check it, negating the very need for using autoclose.

Just got my car last week. I did not know there was a unique signal for OPEN and a unique signal for CLOSE. Do all garage doors work the same way? My concern was coming home and the garage door already open with grandkids around the door and then my car sends a signal that causes it to close on them before I can say skip. The other reason I did not want to use AUTO OPEN/CLOSE of the Garage is I read someone was setting it up and it close on his car. I kind of back out of my car slowly to not hit something.

I do use it for the GATE when entering the community. However, since the exit GATE is right next to the enter GATE when I leave it also opens the GATE since the GPS is pretty close.

Technically I am pretty sure that Auto Open and Auto Close are misnomers as there are not discrete signals for open and close. What is really happening is that the car sends a "Toggle Door" command to your garage door opener under either the Auto Open or Auto Close. Doesn't your garage door have a safety "electronic eye" that causes the door to immediately stop if the beam across your door is broken (edit - these have been required for all openers made in the US since 1993)? If you don't then you should replace it - these have been standard for many years and are required for the "smart" garage door openers like the Chamberlain MyQ system.