TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Garage door scrape..how to fix?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by obin olson, Aug 21, 2016.

1. obin olson

obin olson New Member

So horrid, my garage door scraped a nice line from the bumper to the top of the trunk, how to fix this without taking the bumper off and repainting entire thing and the trunk etc etc? anyone how a really good professional perfect match way to deal with this stupid terrible mistake?

2. Buddy

Buddy Member

Is the scrape past the clear coat? Is it past the paint color or the primer?

If it's minor, ice had good experience on past cars with McGuires Scratch-X.

Never worked on anything past the clear coat but I've seen repair kits that include everything from the color pen to the cleaner to the sand paper.

3. dehydratedH2O

dehydratedH2O Member

Need pics to really say for sure, but very likely you're going to need to R/I and respray the parts.

4. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Sucks big time. Did it to my nose cone. Fortunately, I was able to buff way deep to get it out, as the color goes all the way through. I now NEVER close my door without checking. I learned.

5. James Anders

James Anders Member

As mentioned it all depends how deep it is. Here's a guy that knows his stuff. Rather long but full of great info...

6. cytranic

cytranic Member

I did the same exact thing..Closed the garage door on my trunk, just enough to scrape the entire back end and dent the trunk a little.. I was able to get most of the scratch out using simple wax, it wasnt to the metal. The dent is still there, but its barley visible.

7. cytranic

cytranic Member

Reminds me of the time I tried to highspeed buff my car when I was 16. Lets just say i screwed up.... LOL