Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage Door Suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only way I can think of it interfering with the signal is by fairly cheap bulbs with parts that leak interference. There isn't much to an LED bulb, short of some resistors & capacitors, small chip for the stepdown conversion, a small chip for the led driver and well the LED(s). Anything that is leaking interference, probably isn't FCC compliant and it they state they are, they definitely aren't if they have that mean RF leakage going on.

I primarily use Philips, I would recommend Sylvania bulbs, but they've gotten worse of the years, usually go out within a year.
Not an LED bulb expert but a quick search finds bulbs advertising minimal RF interference so apparently I’m not the only one. Good to know they’re available though will have to try them. The long LED fixture in my garage has the same effect if I forget and leave them on. Something to consider when getting bulbs anyway.

Reactions: Glenn T
My older Chamberlain and lift Master both chain and belt driven units with old fashion screw in bulbs were always problematic with LED screw in bulbs. Tried dozens of different types over the years but to no avail so yes there is truth to led bulbs causing radio interference. The remote would only work if you were basically right in front of the door, even worse with homelink. The newer wall mount unit as recommended has no issue with range, in fact I can open it from down the street about 200 feet from my driveway. This is with the included hand held remote. Homelink sucks in general as every car I had with homelink the signal was far to weak to open the door from a distance.

That being said I have used well known brand name like Phillips and Sylvania and a bunch of Chinese knock offs but nothing gave the same range as an incandescent bulb.

I looked at trying to install another set of sensors inline serial/parallel but that didn't work well since the signal is a bit more complicated than a simple circuit break.

I wanted to have the second higher set of sensors at the bumber height.

Hmmm, re the LED comment the ones I tried definitely interfered with the signal - had to nose right up to the door to get it to open. If I leave my LED lights on in the garage same problem, have to use the keypad to open. Maybe they make special LED ones or something, have to check.ok just checked they advertise ones that minimize interference.

I think it depends on the bulb, and the brand of garage door opener. LED lights have a circuit board in them, and I would bet that some create EMF and others don't. Neither of my garage door openers (both Genie, different models) are bothered by my LED bulbs. In fact, the new one came with an LED bulb when I opened the box.

Keith

I think it depends on the bulb, and the brand of garage door opener. LED lights have a circuit board in them, and I would bet that some create EMF and others don't. Neither of my garage door openers (both Genie, different models) are bothered by my LED bulbs. In fact, the new one came with an LED bulb when I opened the box.

Keith
Yes, Genie sells bulbs specially designed to minimize interference, I just ordered two to try.
Genie GLEDB2-R2 2 Pack Garage Door Opener LED LIGHT BULB, 4000K https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086K1VZV...abc_HS1TDN8A69H2WYG2AX26?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

3/4hp is far enough power for any 2 normal car garage, even for insulated doors like the one your have. 1 1/4hp is usually over kill, typically you would see these on 10ft+(tall) 2 car garage doors, while your typical residential garage door is only about 7ft tall.

Also, to reply to someone stating that an LED bulb interferes with the signal, that is absolutely incorrect.

Edit: Also, just noticed someone's post about adjusting springs. Just because you have a new garage door opener, does not mean, you need to adjust your springs. This is rarely needed and is more for if the tension one either side is too much or too little (i.e. garage door not properly closing at the bottom). I've installed many garage door openers without the need of adjusting springs.

To add the Chamberlin model I mentioned and most newer openers have memory points you set during the installation. So, you'll "manually" (through buttons on the opener) move the door to the highest point opened, set it, then move it to the point closed, set it, then you're done, very simple installation and operation.
Thank you so much. This info will help immensely.

Also, to reply to someone stating that an LED bulb interferes with the signal, that is absolutely incorrect.

For our chamberlain whisperdrive that was absolutely true. Door would only close 50/50 when backing out, but always open when arriving. Then one day when I had just closed the garage door and tried to open it again it would not work and had to send the signal again. I even had our old clickers so I could click-click-click them closed. This was true of both garage doors. It finally "clicked" that the times it was not working was when the garage door opener lights were on (LEDs, probably from Costco). I did a quick google, confirmed, and then installed some low interference LEDs and it now automatically opens/closes 100% now.

For our chamberlain whisperdrive that was absolutely true. Door would only close 50/50 when backing out, but always open when arriving. Then one day when I had just closed the garage door and tried to open it again it would not work and had to send the signal again. I even had our old clickers so I could click-click-click them closed. This was true of both garage doors. It finally "clicked" that the times it was not working was when the garage door opener lights were on (LEDs, probably from Costco). I did a quick google, confirmed, and then installed some low interference LEDs and it now automatically opens/closes 100% now.

Yep, same here the Whisperdrive! Works great otherwise and no issues with the new Genie bulbs that minimize interference. Like many no joy with the Costco bulbs! Guess looking for that FCC rating is key… 😉😉