Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

garage floor finish

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We used PVC Interlocking Tiles (Locktile). I recommend using the black color where the tires roll as the lighter stuff will get tire marks over time. The floor you are looking at gets mopped every two weeks and is 11 years old.

Gar.floor.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: GOVA
I used the Rustoleum epoxy product, with the optional gray color added:

2013-10-27 22.28.31.jpg
2013-09-23 00.15.58.jpg

It is never coming up. It isn't that slippery. It squeaks like crazy when the wheels turn on it.

Be careful if it's really hot, the open time gets real short.

I insist on coating garage floors, easy to sweep up and it doesn't produce dust. I also put in 9 banks of double 48" fluorescent lights for indoor detailing :)

Last edited:
One more for good measure now that the windows were tinted. Maxpro Ceramic IR 20. We left the panoramic roof alone and I think it's perfect. We are still trying to decide if we want something on the back. I think it looks fantastic just as it is.

View attachment 280045
@pdxgibby, Your car looks awesome. I also think the flooring in your garage looks great. This looks like something you just put over the concrete. Can I ask you what the product name is. Was going to use epoxy but it was a hassle. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
@pdxgibby, Your car looks awesome. I also think the flooring in your garage looks great. This looks like something you just put over the concrete. Can I ask you what the product name is. Was going to use epoxy but it was a hassle. Thanks

Thanks! I was considering epoxy as well, but ended up going this route since I had heard nightmares about epoxy not curing properly and the heat form the wheels reactivating the adhesive and pulling it up. Anyway, I went with RaceDeck flooring (Garage Flooring and shop flooring - RaceDeck Garage Floors) but there are some other similar products out there as well. I've attached a few more pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_1774.jpg
    IMG_1774.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1775.jpg
    IMG_1775.jpg
    475.7 KB · Views: 182
Reactions: RedOctober
Thanks! I was considering epoxy as well, but ended up going this route since I had heard nightmares about epoxy not curing properly and the heat form the wheels reactivating the adhesive and pulling it up. Anyway, I went with RaceDeck flooring (Garage Flooring and shop flooring - RaceDeck Garage Floors) but there are some other similar products out there as well. I've attached a few more pictures.

Nice! Looks good. I saw a couple of bad epoxy jobs that tore up with tire movement. I ended up having a company that specializes in it do it. Rather than epoxy they use a polyaspartic coating. They used a 9 head diamond grinder, tinted coat of polyaspartic, PVC vinyl chips any colors with a clear top coat of polyaspartic. 51/2 years now and the floor is still mint.

Reactions: VQTRVA and pdxgibby
Thanks! I was considering epoxy as well, but ended up going this route since I had heard nightmares about epoxy not curing properly and the heat form the wheels reactivating the adhesive and pulling it up.
I applied epoxy coating (purchased at Home Depot) myself on my garage floor 7 years ago. It is still perfect with no effect from hot tires. The key is cleanliness! Vacuum the floor thoroughly. Pressure wash with high power stream. Vacuum again. Be sure floor is completely dry. Apply epoxy. Let it cure as directed on the label (as I recall it was a couple of days).

• Informative
Reactions: 22522
I applied epoxy coating (purchased at Home Depot) myself on my garage floor 7 years ago. It is still perfect with no effect from hot tires. The key is cleanliness! Vacuum the floor thoroughly. Pressure wash with high power stream. Vacuum again. Be sure floor is completely dry. Apply epoxy. Let it cure as directed on the label (as I recall it was a couple of days).

Your absolutely right, it’s all in the prep. You can also etch older contaminated concrete with muratic acid to get a good bonding surface. This is the product my installers used:

Garage Flooring, Garage Floor Coating

Floor Coating Process

Floortex Colors For Garage Floors

I posted about our DIY epoxy install in this thread (with photos): Looking for contractor in SF Bay Area: Garage insulation and flooring Husband used Rustoleum gray with flecks and added Rustoleum's granular clear sealer on top to give it a gloss coat but prevent slipping. We love it and how clean it always looks. Wanted something we could easily hose down when needed. No worries about dirt and liquids getting in between any cracks in tiles.

I applied Performance Epoxy-Coat over 7 years ago. I have a 4 bay that I use 2 of the bays as shop area where I work on cars and do metal fabrication. It has held up like a champ to everything I've done over the years. The two exceptions that I knew of before but experienced first hand were; it does not handle heat from welding work well and since I didn't mix in the UV protection additive in, the color of the floor near the entrance is slightly discolored. As others have said it may leave tire marks but I've intentionally attempted to 'autograph' my floor for that very reason. Other than the discoloration (preventable), I have been completely happy with it over the years. It's had super harsh chemicals on it, had metal parts and equipment dragged across it and it cleans up super easy and for the most part still looks sharp.

Here's my garage build from back in the days when I first applied the floor coating:
Drivesolo's Garage Build - The Garage Journal Board

Question, I have an old house with old garage concrete floor (loosely painted by previous owner). The paint is coming off and I want to get epoxy done. The issue is that the surface is not very flat. For some reason there are dimples here and there and water would accumulate from the car after driving in the rain all over the place. Is there a solution for that?

Here is my garage floor. My Garage is NOT this clean. I just had the floors done so that I can finally put in the cabinets to BE organized. I do have a question for you guys though. I've seen floating cabinets done before, and I was going to use IKEA kitchen cabinets for my garage since I wanted to build a built in sink and counter over and around the washer/dryer. However, IKEA cabinets are not made to float. Is there a similar priced/style cabinet company I can choose from that I can achieve the 'floating' cabinets?

IMG_3684.jpg
IMG_3691.jpg
IMG_3692.jpg
IMG_3693.jpg
IMG_3695.jpg

Reactions: RedOctober and 1208
We have dogs so that means every few years the wife buys a new living room rug since the dogs will occasionally soil the old one. Sure we have rug cleaners, so the rugs are still fine, just a need she has. So the old rug retires to rumpus room, but where does that rug go? The garage!

First time in my life that I have had a carpeted place to park my car. I have the epoxy kit above, but never installed it as the rugs are nicer. The leaves that make it under the door don't go very far on carpet.

-Randy