Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage necessary for DIY Ceramic Coating?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read some really helpful threads on how to do a ceramic coating, however I saw that people were advising you leave your car in the garage for so many hours to let the coating cure. I live in an apartment complex and there are no parking spots with shade and there are no parking garages near me.

Is a garage 100% necessary? I live in central PA and right now the temperatures are in the 70s. Help will be very appreciated!

If this was already answered in another thread, please copy paste the link and Ill just go to that one. Thanks!

If you are using homeowner-grade ceramic coating (which is what I use), the curing requirements are not so strict. Just plan your job in a stretch of no rain, and you should be good. It's pollen season now, but it shouldn't affect the coating. 70s is good ambient temperature, but if you're applying in direct sun, your car will be very hot. Best to apply with car in full shade.

• Informative
Reactions: VQTRVA
If you are using homeowner-grade ceramic coating (which is what I use), the curing requirements are not so strict. Just plan your job in a stretch of no rain, and you should be good. It's pollen season now, but it shouldn't affect the coating. 70s is good ambient temperature, but if you're applying in direct sun, your car will be very hot. Best to apply with car in full shade.

Ok awesome. Is there a huge difference on the ceramic product? I was going to get Gyeon Quartz which is $130+ but I saw cheaper alternatives on Amazon for like $60-70

I've never used Gyeon but I've read good reviews. I've been using CQuartz. It lasts about 2 years. I should also say I'm not a perfectionist when it comes to keeping my exterior pristine. I try to wash with best practices to minimize swirling. I will claybar and clean with isopropyl alcohol before applying my ceramic coating. But I'm not buffing the clearcoat in advance. It might last longer if I did, but all i wanted was something that lasted longer than wax.

Those can be harsh chemicals. Wear nitrile gloves and a good face mask. Eye protection too.

When you watch the pros on YouTube, most wear a lot of safety gear in a well ventilated room.

I can vouch for wearing eye & glove protection.
I did latter - not the former & had some eye irritation afterwards that lasted through the night .

Ok awesome. Is there a huge difference on the ceramic product? I was going to get Gyeon Quartz which is $130+ but I saw cheaper alternatives on Amazon for like $60-70

I used Gyeon One -as a trial on my 4 year old Mk7 GTI - & it was very easy to apply outdoors on a 70° & calm afternoon.

Took me about 4.5 hours to wash, decontaminate, paint correct (none to speak of for me) & then apply the coating & finally the curing spray (sealant & gloss finisher).

Attachments

• IMG_20190429_160752_1.jpg
    IMG_20190429_160752_1.jpg
    528.1 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
I can vouch for wearing eye & glove protection.
I did latter - not the former & had some eye irritation afterwards that lasted through the night .

I used Gyeon One -as a trial on my 4 year old Mk7 GTI - & it was very easy to apply outdoors on a 70° & calm afternoon.

Took me about 4.5 hours to wash, decontaminate, paint correct (none to speak of for me) & then apply the coating & finally the curing spray (sealant & gloss finisher).

I was wondering just how long it might take. Thanks! I think Im going to go with Adams 9h coating

I've never used Gyeon but I've read good reviews. I've been using CQuartz. It lasts about 2 years. I should also say I'm not a perfectionist when it comes to keeping my exterior pristine. I try to wash with best practices to minimize swirling. I will claybar and clean with isopropyl alcohol before applying my ceramic coating. But I'm not buffing the clearcoat in advance. It might last longer if I did, but all i wanted was something that lasted longer than wax.
You should buff after claying since claying the car will introduce micro scratches.

You should buff after claying since claying the car will introduce micro scratches.

heh, I know I SHOULD, but I'm not quite at that level of obsessive. Maybe in 2 years when I need to coat again, I'll check the swirls and see how bad it is. Also, I already have 2 side dings that I don't plan to repair, so.... those are so much worse than microscratches :)

I used two coats of GYEON quartz Cloth MOHS and it took two days to fully dry. After 24 hours if I touched the car it would leave a thumb print.

I love the results. I can wipe down the car in one minute and it is shiny and looks like I just spent an hour washing it.

I used three coats of Gyeon Mohs. I did have a garage to do it in, which is important for several reasons, the main ones being shade, protection from debris flying around, and finally, lighting.

You can definitely make do without a garage as long as you have shade and a good source of light. It's easy to put the product on too thick (more is better, right?) and not spread it around well enough, especially if you get too robotic about the crosshatch pattern you're supposed to make with the applicator. That can leave you with streaking if you fail to wipe the excess off. A good diffuse and portable light source (I used a large shop light LED from Costco - the kind with a diffuser, not two bare tubes) is helpful.

• Helpful
Reactions: VQTRVA and Moze1021
A ceramic is a solid material comprising an inorganic compound of metal, non-metal or metalloid atoms primarily held in ionic and covalent bonds. Common examples are earthenware, porcelain, and brick.

Getting tired of hearing "Ceramic Coating".

Reactions: SSedan