Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage open & close option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WOW!! how cool...option to auto close & open my garage door thru homeland...honestly never notice in the first few weeks of ownership
was it always there or did it come thru one of the 2 new updates this past 30 days?
I love it!! Tesla Rocks!!

Been there forever.

Works 99.9% of the time. It’s that darn 0.1% that will have you calling your insurance company eventually.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Been there forever.

Works 99.9% of the time. It’s that darn 0.1% that will have you calling your insurance company eventually.

the ability for the car to do it automatically as you approach and or drive away from your garage has been there for a while in the homelink settings menu in the car.. But the ability to do it through the app is something new which just came in version 10.

the ability for the car to do it automatically as you approach and or drive away from your garage has been there for a while in the homelink settings menu in the car.. But the ability to do it through the app is something new which just came in version 10.
Um, no. You could always do it in Summon. They just moved the button to the front of the app since no one could find it. :D

We used to come home in the 3 and use the X in the garage to open it using homelink (in the X’s Summon). Worked great.

BTW, Homelink has worked about 100% in v10. Was a lot more hit or miss on v9.

insurance comp, why...r u suggesting the car drives & hits the door? Ouch!

Two critical weaknesses.

1) It has no idea if the door is up or down when it tells it to take an action (it assumes it).

2) It uses GPS to know how close your are to home to decide to hit the garage door button having no Idea if it’s going up or down. At no fault of the car GPS is not perfect.

There have been a few accidents posted. Not many. But it’s an accident waiting to happen and might not be a fender bender.

Sort of falls into the Summon, Enhanced Summon, NoA category.

Reactions: forkee
Neither the car nor Homelink make any assumptions. Homelink is one way so it has no means to determine the state of the door. The door toggles. If it receives a signal when open it closes. If it receives a signal when closed it opens. I guess Homelink devices are two way capable as they communicate door position to systems like MyQ (shows you door position and allows it to be operated over the internet) but I've not seen an automobile Homelink system that can determine door state.

Neither the car nor Homelink make any assumptions. Homelink is one way so it has no means to determine the state of the door. The door toggles. If it receives a signal when open it closes. If it receives a signal when closed it opens. I guess Homelink devices are two way capable as they communicate door position to systems like MyQ (shows you door position and allows it to be operated over the internet) but I've not seen an automobile Homelink system that can determine door state.

When it sends a command to “open” (toggle) the software / car assumes it’s closed. Someone might have left it open or just opened it prior to the car arriving. That is dangerous. The system was good enough for humans that visually confirm its state before toggling.

That is called an assumption. A big one.

The car assumes it should toggle as you approach and toggle as you leave no matter what state the door is actually in. It assumes it’s in the state it wants it to be.

99.9% it’s assumption is correct. And usually harmless when wrong. But not always.

People take for granted that it has powerful motors, Cables. Pulleys, tracks etc. And it’s a fairly crude system. Adults or children could be near doors when closing or opening. Now Tesla comes along starts operating it BLINDLY based on imperfect GPS.

Even if it knew up vs down, it’s dangerous to run the door without visual confirmation it’s safe to even OPEN. It assumes that too.

Reactions: forkee
Um, no. You could always do it in Summon. They just moved the button to the front of the app since no one could find it. :D

We used to come home in the 3 and use the X in the garage to open it using homelink (in the X’s Summon). Worked great.

BTW, Homelink has worked about 100% in v10. Was a lot more hit or miss on v9.

Well unfortunately not every Tesla has summon :) my car is a 2012 pre everything but I still would have thought because it does have homelink that I would have gotten that option through the app. pre autopilot cars appear not to have that ability and no it has not always been there for us.

Been there forever.

Before you are so quick to disagree understand that all Tesla's DO NOT have autopilot functionality. My car is a 2012 with tech package so I do have homelink but I do not have AP. However because I have homelink I had thought with the coming of version 10 that button would appear on the app to be able to control the garage door via homelink. It has not for any pre autopilot cars that I'm aware of or that I have seen posted anywhere in forums so I'm left to conclude that pre autopilot cars will not have that ability even if they do have a program to homelink.

When it sends a command to “open” (toggle) the software / car assumes it’s closed.
It just sends the command.

Someone might have left it open or just opened it prior to the car arriving. That is dangerous.
Not particularly. There would be danger if the door just closed despite the presence of a child in its path and that is why the doors are equipped with sensors (two types) to prevent that from happening as required, no doubt, by code.

The system was good enough for humans that visually confirm its state before toggling.
I'll point out that the way Homelink works in my Tesla (and Lexus) the human is there to visibly confirm that the door is open and starting to close. Happens all the time if someone opens the door while I'm out with the car. If I approach the house, see the dog sleeping on the threshold of the garage door, get the bing that the door is closing I then just hit the skip button. PITA but not much of one. Of course, the door would not actually close if the dog were sleeping on the threshold because the IR sensor would prevent that. If it failed the pressure sensor would prevent the pooch from being squished.

I'll also note that I occasionally close the door when there is no human present to tell me if there is someone/thing in the way. This doesn't happen much with the Tesla as it did with the Lexus because of the automatic feature. I will note that if I close the door remotely it beeps and the lights flash for a few seconds as a warning that the door is about to close. I wouldn't mind if it always did this though that would be belt and two pairs of suspenders.

That is called an assumption. A big one.
I don't know why you keep on at this idea that the car assumes something. It just sends the bloody signal when the geofence tells it it is close to home. The assumption was made by the designers of the system that it is safe to 5 (or more) nines to operate it this way.

But not always.
Example?

And it’s a fairly crude system. Adults or children could be near doors when closing or opening.
And that's why the dual safety sensors are required on the doors. It is not incumbent on Tesla or Lexus or MyQ to add more nines.

Now Tesla comes along starts operating it BLINDLY based on imperfect GPS.
Now that comment just gave me some insight. Ever wonder why your cell phone can tell you where you are in your house to much better than GDOP suggests? Or why if you look at Tesla's location display you can tell which spot your wife is parked in at the grocery store? It's because it is not only using GPS (and probably Glonass too as most chips pick up both). It's because it is using WiFi info too. You may have seen a "Turn on WiFi for better positional accuracy message on your cell phone). This may explain why the geofencing system always triggers my garage doors correctly but often misses my front gate.

Even if it knew up vs down, it’s dangerous to run the door without visual confirmation it’s safe to even OPEN.
Trying to picture the scenario in which someone is injured by a door opening unexpectedly. Possible I guess but that's what the pressure sensor is there for.

Now to try to turn this to serious consideration for a minute while I'm sure that a door closing on me would not injure me I am not sure it might not dent the soft aluminum over the frunk, for example. I believe the pressure setting is adjustable on modern doors but I'd need to check to be sure.

The real threat from the geofencing system, IMO, comes from failure to retract the mirrors with 100% reliability. I always carefully check those when backing out or going in but do so because I'm guessing the auto system may not set them properly one day.

Not particularly. There would be danger if the door just closed despite the presence of a child in its path and that is why the doors are equipped with sensors (two types) to prevent that from happening as required, no doubt, by code.

I'll point out that the way Homelink works in my Tesla (and Lexus) the human is there to visibly confirm that the door is open and starting to close. Happens all the time if someone opens the door while I'm out with the car. If I approach the house, see the dog sleeping on the threshold of the garage door, get the bing that the door is closing I then just hit the skip button. PITA but not much of one. Of course, the door would not actually close if the dog were sleeping on the threshold because the IR sensor would prevent that. If it failed the pressure sensor would prevent the pooch from being squished.

I'll also note that I occasionally close the door when there is no human present to tell me if there is someone/thing in the way. This doesn't happen much with the Tesla as it did with the Lexus because of the automatic feature. I will note that if I close the door remotely it beeps and the lights flash for a few seconds as a warning that the door is about to close. I wouldn't mind if it always did this though that would be belt and two pairs of suspenders.

I don't know why you keep on at this idea that the car assumes something. It just sends the bloody signal when the geofence tells it it is close to home. The assumption was made by the designers of the system that it is safe to 5 (or more) nines to operate it this way.

Example?

And that's why the dual safety sensors are required on the doors. It is not incumbent on Tesla or Lexus or MyQ to add more nines.

Now that comment just gave me some insight. Ever wonder why your cell phone can tell you where you are in your house to much better than GDOP suggests? Or why if you look at Tesla's location display you can tell which spot your wife is parked in at the grocery store? It's because it is not only using GPS (and probably Glonass too as most chips pick up both). It's because it is using WiFi info too. You may have seen a "Turn on WiFi for better positional accuracy message on your cell phone). This may explain why the geofencing system always triggers my garage doors correctly but often misses my front gate.

Trying to picture the scenario in which someone is injured by a door opening unexpectedly. Possible I guess but that's what the pressure sensor is there for.

Now to try to turn this to serious consideration for a minute while I'm sure that a door closing on me would not injure me I am not sure it might not dent the soft aluminum over the frunk, for example. I believe the pressure setting is adjustable on modern doors but I'd need to check to be sure.

The real threat from the geofencing system, IMO, comes from failure to retract the mirrors with 100% reliability. I always carefully check those when backing out or going in but do so because I'm guessing the auto system may not set them properly one day.

Search forum for examples. I've seen half a dozen (oh shits). I'm not going to do your home work.

The sensors for obstruction on garage doors are for DOWN only. I don't want my doors going UP unpredictably either when Adults or Kids are near them. Mine have steel tension cables that are slightly angled away from the doors. It's a brand new garage. You might not care, I do.

Here is one for example for you. Do you get it !! There are plenty of other examples out there. If you want to use it or encourage others to not be cautious go right ahead. You probably think Enhanced Summon and NoA is perfect too.

I won't use Summon.
I won't use Enhanced Summon.
I won't use Navigate on AutoPilot (with or without Confirmation)
I won't use HomeLink Auto Door Open or Auto Close (I can handle pushing the button when I confirm it's all clear).

I will use AutoSteer (only on the Highway) with a workaround to avoid its Screw ups (bugs) with GPS data.

Because I value my possessions and loved ones more than I do the "coolness" and "convenience" of these features.

20161102_092024_resized.jpg

Example?

UHMMM r you forgetting the warning beep signal it makes as you approach before it opens the garage /closes it?