TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Garage outlet mounted on ceiling?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by GuyGadois, Oct 14, 2015.

1. GuyGadois

GuyGadois Member

Has anyone mounted their garage outlet on the ceiling? By putting it between the two cars in the garage I could charge either cars or park the tesla in either space. I would think there would be some sort of retractable crod to do this. Anyone seen this?

Cheers

GG

2. davewill

davewill Member

They do it all the time for garage door openers. One guy in a thread somewhere on here mounted his EVSE inside the ceiling and had a retractable cord hanging down.

3. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

This. My garage door opener plugs into an outlet in the ceiling.

4. strider

strider Active Member

I've done this. Though our garage has exposed rafters. The outlets are nailed into a rafter facing down. The plug, EVSE, and extra cord are tie-wrapped around the rafter. For the outlet on the left of the garage I just screwed a bicycle hook into the wall and hook the cord through that so it hangs down but is out the way of the car driving in. For the car on the right of the garage I just hung a bungee cord with a hook on it from one of the lights towards the front of the car and that keeps it up and out of the way. I can take pictures tonight if it isn't clear.

Somewhere on this site someone rigged a weighted cantilever system for their Roadster cord that would lift the cord when it wasn't plugged in but they could reach up and pull it down to plug it in.

5. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

It would definitely help the electrons flow since gravity would be aiding them coming out of the outlet.

6. woof

woof Model S #P683 Blue 85 kWh

True. But they tend to leak electrons when the plug is removed, making a mess below.

7. GuyGadois

GuyGadois Member

Ha. The question wasn't meant to be about the actual plug but rather the retractable cord and having the charger come from the ceiling. Would rather not have 15' of cord hanging down.

8. supratachophobia

Oh yeah, electron spillage. I think that's what caused the resonance cascade at Black Mesa.

9. bredi

bredi Member

So the higher the electrons drop from, the faster the charge?

10. wayner

wayner Active Member

But be careful - if the fall too fast it may cause a discontinuity resulting in formation of a black hole.

11. bredi

bredi Member

"great scott!!!"

12. supratachophobia

Yes, but be careful. Never charge from an outlet on the 2nd story when your car is at ground-level. That's called Supercharging.