Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage Temperature (Hot)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had any concern about the temperature of the garage in the southern hot states? I recently insulated my attic and garage because I was tired of walking in to a hot garage. Well summer is slowly arriving and I haven't noticed too much of a difference and I'm wondering how this will affect the battery life sitting in a 100+ degree garage. I understand the batteries have a climate control system, but man it sure gets hot in that garage.

I'm still looking for alternatives (suggestions?) and I might install a fan attic and possibly a heat pump water heater that supposedly blows out cold air. Its getting a bit hot and I have no desire to go back up in my attic right away especially after blowing in 30 bags of fiberglass insulation. I guess i will need to figure something out I just can't stand having a hot garage.

Ken

Did you mount the fan in your garage ceiling or the attic? I'm assuming its just venting the air in to the attic? I like the price and this just might work. Did you notice a huge temp drop?

Swamp cooler isn't such a bad idea either I have water and power in the right location, I'm just concerned about the moisture and potential corrosion.

thanks.

I mounted it in an adjacent boiler room that draws air from the garage. Keeps the boiler room cooler and the apartment above, and at the same time keeps the garage cooler. It works as advertised. When it comes on it moves a bunch of air.

A swamp cooler should not put moisture into the garage. It uses evaporation to provide the cooling and it (excess moisture) is vented outside.

Kenne - An attic type fan can work, but as it exhausts air it draws it in from somewhere - if that somewhere is the cracks around your garage door and it's a 110 degree Arizona day, you won't have accomplished much (unless your garage was heating to 150, then 110 is mo betta.)

What about a mini-split or thru-wall unit to cool the garage and put it in positive pressure?

Kenne - An attic type fan can work, but as it exhausts air it draws it in from somewhere - if that somewhere is the cracks around your garage door and it's a 110 degree Arizona day, you won't have accomplished much (unless your garage was heating to 150, then 110 is mo betta.)

What about a mini-split or thru-wall unit to cool the garage and put it in positive pressure?
Usually given enough time, in hot weather, the garage will be higher temps than outside temps. This is because of heat energy from the sun being absorbed into the garage but with no where to go. Having an exhaust fan will let you move that heat out of your garage. It can probably reduce temps by about 10 degrees. But if you want lower than that other types of cooling will be necessary.