Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garbage GUI design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been battling weird vampire drain the past few weeks when cabin overheating protection was enabled. I noticed in the morning after finished charging, it would be about 2% below the set charge point. It happened to be the same time I started using the overheating protection feature. So I thought it's draining battery even tough the temp is below 100 degree F.
I finally figured out what was the issue. It got nothing to do with overheating feature. It's the climate control scheduling.
I happened to also pressed the schedule button just to poke around (Just got my M3 this year, so still figuring stuff out). That action of opening up the submenu activated the scheduling.
Just today, I pressed "setting" to bring up the schedule menu further. Both toggle switches were enabled. I then switch both off and exit the menu.
I then proceed to press "schedule" again just to confirm my setting (I have been plagued by random temp changes so I don't trust Tesla's SW that much). Guess what? The act of pressing "schedule" button activates the scheduling.
This is beyond just SW quality. It's a very stupid GUI design. How do I confirm my setting? Let me check? It's on! Let me turn it off. How do I confirm it's saved? Let me check. It's on again!!! WTF.
Whoever design this GUI should automatically gets the Darwin award...

Wait. Is it the act of pressing "schedule" activates the feature? Or is the feature never off??? It's like the schrodinger's cat. As long as you don't check, you can think of the feature as being both enable and disable.

hmmm. Still having the weird drain/discrepancy between charge setting of 60% and actual 58% charged state in the morning. So maybe it's not the scheduled climate control. I'll turn off overheating to see if it's the issue. But overheating protection should've been off in the morning after I charged up (6am start charging).
Or my guess was correct. I could never turn off scheduled climate control now after activated it? Will probably set the schedule time to noon and see what happens.

hmmm. Still having the weird drain/discrepancy between charge setting of 60% and actual 58% charged state in the morning. So maybe it's not the scheduled climate control. I'll turn off overheating to see if it's the issue. But overheating protection should've been off in the morning after I charged up (6am start charging).
Or my guess was correct. I could never turn off scheduled climate control now after activated it? Will probably set the schedule time to noon and see what happens.
What are the temps? If you charge the car to 60%, but it then gets colder after it may show a lower SOC.

There are So many unknown variables possible to cause your 1-2% loss. One of which is likely your constant opening of the app which wakes the car and enables all systems. Not sure how any of this applies to your thread title.

Having a SOC that's 1-3% different from the set charge point the next morning is completely expected and normal. There's nothing wrong with the car and it's not necessarily a loss. These days I charge to 60% and have 57% in the next morning. A few months back I would have a higher SOC in the morning. As the car sleeps after the charge, the BMS has time to take voltage readings and it might readjust its estimate of total capacity and of current charge. This is not a precise value, it's estimated. Fluctuations are expected.

Reactions: DrChaos
I think it's the lack of state (initial state) in climate control scheduling that caused all these unrelated issues.
Just today, I decided to poke around the scheduling and overheating protection settings again. I could be able to turn on scheduling just by turning overheating off, then on. That triggered me. What kind of SW is this. I then decided to play further and changed the scheduled time and hit save.
Then the same steps wouldn't cause weird setting changes.
Now it's sticking to what I configured.
The vampire drain is most likely the climate control scheduling somehow conditions the battery (this is another stupid weird control for another time). It changes my scheduled charging at 6:00am to "departure charging" as well. So it's not an apple to apple comparison anymore.
All the above random setting changes make comparison moot. Why did I press "schedule" in the first place? Why???

I should've listened to my mom all along. Don't touch anything.
Curiosity can help you learn. It can also cause unnecessary afflictions.

Last edited:
What are the temps? If you charge the car to 60%, but it then gets colder after it may show a lower SOC.
It's at 66 degree. I live in California. Garage temp stays room temp. It's not heating. I don't set climate control to auto anyway. That's another gripe. Temp changes on its own even though I'm at manual setting. Never seen this in any of my other electronics.

Also remember it is fundamentally a guessometer. The BMS tries to give you it's best idea of SOC, but it is not always as accurate as we think it is sometimes.
That's why I look at percent charge, not mileage. Percentage charge should be consistent in the span of hours. So temperature change shouldn't be an issue.
The main reason I go down this rabbit hole is the change in behavior was so black and white. It never happened for the first several months of ownership. All of a sudden it started to behave this way didn't make sense. Especially after I started to use a feature. It's easy to make the connection.
See my previous post on what I think why my car behaved so weirdly across multiple settings.

That's why I look at percent charge, not mileage. Percentage charge should be consistent in the span of hours. So temperature change shouldn't be an issue.
The main reason I go down this rabbit hole is the change in behavior was so black and white. It never happened for the first several months of ownership. All of a sudden it started to behave this way didn't make sense. Especially after I started to use a feature. It's easy to make the connection.
See my previous post on what I think why my car behaved so weirdly across multiple settings.
Percentage actually can change over the course of hours, and is not really that consistent all the time (for a number of reasons). It is just an estimation that the BMS spits out. Usually it is pretty good, but not always.

Just to report that after new FW update. The car was back to the funky state where enabling cabin overheating protection automatically enabled schedule departure after I pressed the "schedule" button in climate control.
Once I proceed to set the schedule time and then disable the feature, everything was back to normal.
There's only 1 word to Tesla's SW.

"CRAPPY".

Just to report that after new FW update. The car was back to the funky state where enabling cabin overheating protection automatically enabled schedule departure after I pressed the "schedule" button in climate control.
Once I proceed to set the schedule time and then disable the feature, everything was back to normal.
There's only 1 word to Tesla's SW.

"CRAPPY".
I noticed massive vampire drain last night. I think my s had 182 yesterday and then magically 172 this morning. Garaged but I never realized summon can also cause vampire drain. This scheduling aspect is interesting to me because I did hit scheduled charging from the app last week. I have never turned off cabin overheat protection but it sounds like I need to do so.